Tech question for techy people (1 Viewer)

Equal Hater

Unbannable by decree!
I recently found out some product from my warehouse mysteriously went missing. Now these are high end ip cameras and an nvr. I called the company and asked if I provide them with the serial numbers of the specific units, if they could tell me if they were activated. The idiot I spoke with tells me they don't have the capabilities to do that but I believe that's bullshit because these units come with their own cloud service backup, so they should be able to indicate if they are active and also which IP is being used to send info to their cloud system.

Am I correct in my thought process?

Personally, I think the best way to answer that is going to your police station. Similar to a phone. For the most part they are updated on tech frequently.

Dammit HG I retired from this shit last Friday! :lulz:

1. Are the police involved at all? If not they should be.
2. Do you have an IT department or a company that manages your network?
3. Approximate date and time of incident(s)?

Apexטורף

Fresh Meat
I would start with your internal IT group or who ever is in charge of monitoring the cameras. The company that sales them may not be able to get this information if the people who installed them did so in a way that would allow certain access points. If they are not actively connected to the internet or an intranet, then there would be no IP address associated with the devices. They could also be turned on, but no connected to a network. So there would still be no IP addresses for the devices and no data would be sent to the cloud if this where the case.

Brainfart

I'm sorry if I have offended you
I recently found out some product from my warehouse mysteriously went missing. Now these are high end ip cameras and an nvr. I called the company and asked if I provide them with the serial numbers of the specific units, if they could tell me if they were activated. The idiot I spoke with tells me they don't have the capabilities to do that but I believe that's bullshit because these units come with their own cloud service backup, so they should be able to indicate if they are active and also which IP is being used to send info to their cloud system.

Are you worried about using the cameras you stole and getting caught? Lol...

D.O.A.

Hey how you doin

You'd probably need to find the data operators/electricians who installed that shit, who's got the contract for it/who's storing video. Our warehouse IT are idiots so that kind of stuff is outsourced

Venture _Capitalist

instructor - situational awareness
Are you worried about using the cameras you stole and getting caught? Lol...
1571305625409.png

Equal Hater

Unbannable by decree!
Thank you for the comments. Following are some answers to the questions:

1) No, I have not made a police report as of yet. Before I do that, I am trying to determine what exactly happened to them for many reasons like a) there is a possibility that they were thrown away by mistake. At the end of the week, we end up with shitloads of boxes and miscellaneous from the installs that we discard, and b) I have no intention to get anyone in trouble if I have no way to confirm 100% that they were stolen from us. It serves no purpose.

2) We are the ones selling and installing these things. Usually the NVR on location keeps the video recordings onsite and at the same time an encrypted copy of it all goes into a cloud completely supported by the manufacturer. We have no IT department as we do not need it (one of my guys IS our IT department for our needs but this he has no involvement on).

3) In order for the police to get somewhere with it, they wold need to get a subpoena in order to make the camera manufacturer disclose any information related to it since privacy laws between them and the end user apply. Besides, this is small potatoes so I doubt they would give a flying fuck enough to look into. Plenty more money for them to harass money out of law abiding people instead of doing their job.

4) There is no timetable on when this could have happened. These units were purchased for a particular project back in January of this year. I recall eyeballing the stuff a couple times when I went to the warehouse, but since it is an off location from my main building I personally don't go there much. I(n short, could have happened at any time in the last 10 months.

5) So far I was able to contact someone in their technical support, who would be able to see with the NVR unit serial number if it is communicating P2P with their servers. He checked and told me he can't see it, which means at that particular time it wasn't online or active. He also mentioned that if it was communicating, he could even access live imaging (with the correct username and password becasue of privacy laws) but that's it. He wasn't able to provide information on the unit ever communicating with their servers, either confirming or denying... so this leads me to believe someone could have very well fucked up and toss them by mistake. On the other end, they are perfectly usable without ever logging into their servers, and if someone stole them and knows what he is doing (most of my installers are smart enough to know this) all they have to do is use it with the local hard drive and block the cloud service.

Still working on it but fuck it I might have just move on, re purchase the equipment and make my customer happy as if this never happened.

Blood_Sport

Utter bastard
I think someone is installing cctv to homes and businesses on the sly at weekends.. phone some local small companies and see who turns up to give you a quote

Users who are viewing this thread