The next Total War series game (1 Viewer)

D.O.A.

These are great days we're living, bros
I soooo fucking hope they "remake" rome total war or at least revisit an epic time period like medieval total war, the crusades, maybe even alexander the great ...as all of their games so far featuring gunpowder or asians with swords have sucked, in my opinion. The worst thing they could do is go forward to WW2 or modern warfare like every faggots favorite FPS, but then again, trench warfare WW1 total war style with charges into no mans land could be interesting if done right.

Medieval is one of my favorite games, still after all these years I enjoy the campaigns... it will be a challenge for them to get my business again, as the last couple games have sucked.

Two months after Total War: Shogun 2 arrived, Creative Assembly has revealed the development of a brand new Total War game to Eurogamer.

"Yep," confirmed IP godfather Mike Simpson when asked whether another Total War game was under way. "We never stop, so yes."

Creative Assembly studio director Tim Heaton said work began "whilst we were finishing Shogun 2". "Absolutely we're on the next," he added.

What that new game will be, Simpson nor Heaton would say. When asked whether historically the period will be further back than Shogun 2's or further forward, Simpson stone-walled with an enigmatic "yes".

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-17-creative-assembly-making-new-total-war

I used to play MTWI, without the expansion packs but a mod that made the geopolitical map historically accurate, and without leaving the campaign map to direct any battles. Excellent fun, my favorite thing to do was to start as the Danes, quickly conquer Sweden and Norway while building a larger army and starting a navy so that I could soon fuck the English from the North and South by taking Normandy and Scotland, then Wessex, Mercia, Northumbria, Wales, and Ireland. Hopefully the French and Germans had gone to war by this time so that neither were a threat to me while I was tied up with the English and their Celtic neighbors, and I would jump in on the side of whoever was losing, usually connecting the Western and Eastern halves of my empire by annexing Flanders, Friesland, and Saxony. Unfortunately, if I played a single campaign long enough some super-empire would get around to me, so to prepare for this eventuality I fortified my continental provinces while building the domestic infrastructure of my British Isles and Scandinavia to bolster tax revenue, this made it so that I had a defensive wall loaded with soldiers that any superior force was hesitant to assail. Once my navy was large enough, I would launch raids into far off provinces; the Maghreb, Mashriq, Levant, and Asia Minor especially... because they were Muslim and I liked to crusade.

I haven't played any other TW games, but if they put out a good one this time, maybe I will.

aRyan

TRUMP or BUST
Never played any of them. I might pirate this one and check it out though. I haven't played a strategy game like this since Warcraft II I think.

D.O.A.

There's a patch due out today that fixes a lot of crashing and stuff that's happening... the game is good but it has obviously been released way before it should have.

Last edited:

Mick

About that Acid.
I remember a time when I had the fucking time to play Rome Total War.Nowadays I rock angry birds while on the shitter and that's it.

McM

Forum Veteran
I've played many of them, but haven't won any of the campaigns. Only in 'Rome' I reached a good achievement.

D.O.A.

I played the new one new for a few hours and in all honestly I think medieval 2 is the better game, the AI in this game is pathetic, and they introduced 'improved' capture points... like on a flat open area not the fucking hill you'd have won the battle from...
"sir, 100 huns have captured the treeline for 30 seconds"
"oh well I guess us 5000 men better surrender our fortified position then and give up"

Sega ruined this game, it's now a shitty arcade game.

Overall rating: I piss on it.

i don't think you can ever really beat medII if you haven't tried the third age mod it's actually not as bad as you might expect it to be, especially if you have destroyed the kingdoms expansion. unfortunately i can't run anything after empire/napoleon total wars (and they lag pretty bad).. so i find myself just sticking to med2 or rome total war 1, i have the original shogun too but well it doesn't play too great imo. but i still want to try out rome 2 even if the mechanics have changed slightly it should still be a good game to play through wouldn't it, just not 'as' good

D.O.A.

i don't think you can ever really beat medII if you haven't tried the third age mod it's actually not as bad as you might expect it to be, especially if you have destroyed the kingdoms expansion. unfortunately i can't run anything after empire/napoleon total wars (and they lag pretty bad).. so i find myself just sticking to med2 or rome total war 1, i have the original shogun too but well it doesn't play too great imo. but i still want to try out rome 2 even if the mechanics have changed slightly it should still be a good game to play through wouldn't it, just not 'as' good
dude rome II is a horrible game sega will use as a cash cow on steam, same as company of hero's 2, these two games fucking suck and are nothing like the originals, which are the still among the best RTS games available.
Both these new games put too much into graphics and what some stupid fucking engine can do with snow, but the gameplay itself is fucked. These are like arcade games now for 13 year old console users :dog:

Reactions: McM
dude rome II is a horrible game sega will use as a cash cow on steam, same as company of hero's 2, these two games fucking suck and are nothing like the originals, which are the still among the best RTS games available.
Both these new games put too much into graphics and what some stupid fucking engine can do with snow, but the gameplay itself is fucked. These are like arcade games now for 13 year old console users :dog:
tbh that wouldn't surprise me in the slightest seem's almost all games are based more around graphics than gameplay now, or maybe im just not looking in the right places. and didn't expect to see company of heroes get a mention it was a great game, i can't play it anymore (corrupted uninstall), never tried the second one and well im guessing from your review here i probably shouldn't, though i heard of a game called men of war which is supposed to be just like company of heroes, any idea what that's like?. anyway with the graphics again my comp can't even handle good graphics so im constantly stuck in the tactics world lol well that and morrowind ofcourse

D.O.A.

tbh that wouldn't surprise me in the slightest seem's almost all games are based more around graphics than gameplay now, or maybe im just not looking in the right places. and didn't expect to see company of heroes get a mention it was a great game, i can't play it anymore (corrupted uninstall), never tried the second one and well im guessing from your review here i probably shouldn't, though i heard of a game called men of war which is supposed to be just like company of heroes, any idea what that's like?. anyway with the graphics again my comp can't even handle good graphics so im constantly stuck in the tactics world lol well that and morrowind ofcourse
Even a modest rig on super low settings should handle COH2 and rome 2, but they fucked with the mechanics/gameplay of these games too much and the fun is gone.
I had high hopes for Rome 2, but it's fucking rubbish.
The only innovative thing was the introduction of the province system. Everything else, EVERYTHING -- guard mode, fire at will, ability to ravage your enemy's lands, family trees, transporting your armies on actual fleets (instead of having them ice skate across the sea by themselves), good unit collision -- that we've been accustomed to for damn near a decade has been stripped out. It's a console-ready piece of steaming dumbed-down shit.

McM

Forum Veteran

'Men of War' is the third part of 'Soldiers' and 'Faces of War'. Very good and very difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread