The Way American Children Were

OP
tarekwood

tarekwood

Glad it's you !!
if you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding! not some fuckin Ipad or sthg, like now !

JennyMuerte

☠ Faces can't get pregnant ☠
Puuuuhlease children were treated like shit back in day, worse than then now I say most being scavengers. Playing by themselves with no techie toys proves nothing, if anything, Ive read video games stimulate the brain and help children imagine more. Children pre 50s had it bad.Kids these days are spoiled and ungrateful but every generation is, but I will take any 90s childhood american summer in the suburbs over that prediaper, pretv, prehotpocket caprisun and cartoon network hellish time. Helluva lot protected more these days too.

mrln

silent ghost
Puuuuhlease children were treated like shit back in day, worse than then now I say most being scavengers. Playing by themselves with no techie toys proves nothing, if anything, Ive read video games stimulate the brain and help children imagine more. Children pre 50s had it bad.Kids these days are spoiled and ungrateful but every generation is, but I will take any 90s childhood american summer in the suburbs over that prediaper, pretv, prehotpocket caprisun and cartoon network hellish time. Helluva lot protected more these days too.
kids HAVE to be more protected now a days because theres more than one way to stalk them because of the 80's-90's tech. didn't have to worry about it back when I was a kid....

JennyMuerte

kids HAVE to be more protected now a days because theres more than one way to stalk them because of the 80's-90's tech. didn't have to worry about it back when I was a kid....
No, we just have more laws to protect children now, had this discussion in a mortuary class, strangers and computer strangers have just the same access.

Barry McCockinner

Forum Veteran
Ive read video games stimulate the brain and help children imagine more.
Just because you read it, especially if it was on the internet, doesn't mean it's true. I do however believe it is true - to an extent. I remember thinking, back in 1978 when computers were just emerging, that they are good for people as far as stimulating the mind and also improving reflexes. But a lot of kids (and adults) these days spend WAY too much time online AND on their phones. So much time that they become unaware that there is a whole real world out there to explore, experience, and participate in.

Children pre 50s had it bad
They had it bad by today's standards and your point of view. From their perspective, they were just playing their usual games, passing time how they did. They missed nothing that we have today to have "had it bad."

I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm old enough to remember nothing video, no cell phones (we had the rotary kind of phone), no internet, etc. I got along fine. I didn't feel lacking for anything. I found things to do to occupy myself - both good and bad things:p. I'd like to see most of the people these days get by just one day without their cell phones. I bet they'd go crazy.

JennyMuerte

Barry, I dont go reading hogwash in community online forums like ask.com or cafemom or yahooanswers when it comes to human development and medicine, lol, being a med student Ive come to appreciate journals among my peers based on facts and trial. The medical journal I read based its findings on not physical reflexes and video games but learning and the brain stimulation and how it affected dreaming, coping skills and healing in the medical community among recovering patients. Loads of interesting findings that I didnt even think video games could do. And Im sure old folks back when you were a kid complained about how much simpler times were when they were young for example: "whats a phone needed for, they should write letters, that phone will take away their writing skills." Complaints are made about every coming generation when us humans advance, I think its denial. I may be a 25 year old prissy bitch but , I get it, ya'll miss the old days, and Im sure I will miss mine too when Im your age. I do believe children, after laws were implemented to protect them in the 20th century and welfare came along, are safer, no matter how many internet pervs there are. Many kids live in poverty and bad neighborhoods, who wants to go out to that when you can timetravel on the internet and learn about science and dinosaurs and history without it being in a boring book form, parents can set boundaries also. And any kids spending too much time on the comp or cell can blame his/her parent. The only problem these days is the horrible music. And you were a child in1978, WTF, you aint old !!! Arcade games were the rage back then!!! :eis:

Barry McCockinner

Forum Veteran
Barry, I dont go reading hogwash in community online forums like ask.com or cafemom or yahooanswers when it comes to human development and medicine, lol, being a med student Ive come to appreciate journals among my peers based on facts and trial. The medical journal I read based its findings on not physical reflexes and video games but learning and the brain stimulation and how it affected dreaming, coping skills and healing in the medical community among recovering patients. Loads of interesting findings that I didnt even think video games could do. And Im sure old folks back when you were a kid complained about how much simpler times were when they were young for example: "whats a phone needed for, they should write letters, that phone will take away their writing skills." Complaints are made about every coming generation when us humans advance, I think its denial. I may be a 25 year old prissy bitch but , I get it, ya'll miss the old days, and Im sure I will miss mine too when Im your age. I do believe children, after laws were implemented to protect them in the 20th century and welfare came along, are safer, no matter how many internet pervs there are. Many kids live in poverty and bad neighborhoods, who wants to go out to that when you can timetravel on the internet and learn about science and dinosaurs and history without it being in a boring book form, parents can set boundaries also. And any kids spending too much time on the comp or cell can blame his/her parent. The only problem these days is the horrible music. And you were a child in1978, WTF, you aint old !!! Arcade games were the rage back then!!! :eis:
Being a"med student I hope you learn to comprehend what it is that you're reading or else it's just a waste of time. I was not at all saying I miss the old days. I was trying to tell you how you are wrong in that we had it "bad" back then (and earlier, of course). We did not have the future as a point of reference to look back at ourselves to see how much we didn't have (yet) and therefore realize how "bad" we had it. If you still think things were bad in the "old days", please give some examples.

Also, I'm not getting my info from "community online forums like ask.com or cafemom or yahooanswers". I'm getting it from experience, both mine and people I know - a much more accurate source of info.

Blue text - Didn't you just say that getting info from the internet is "hogwash"?
Boring book form? - you mean the ones you're reading in med school?

Green - Yes, parents can set boundries, but sadly these days most of them do not. In "my day" boundries were set. There wasn't as big of a problem with kids then - at least not to the extent that it is today. We got our asses beat (literally) and I think that is where society went wrong, at least partially, today. If you even talk about physically disciplining your kid you can be brought up on charges. NO wonder some parents shy away from the tried and true way of teaching right from wrong. Of course there are exceptions where a kid doesn't need it, but those are few and far between.

Red - You're trying to make an intelligent argument here and then you say that? I don't even know where to begin there so I'll leave it alone.

Finally...
And you were a child in1978, WTF, you aint old !!!
I wouldn't call 15 a child and no, I "aint" old, but technology advances at a rapid rate, so my statements make perfect sense and I stand by them, but I do understand how it sounded.

I don't really care what they teach you in med school or what they teach anyone in any school. The best way to learn is to be open minded and at least consider what other people say, especially if they have already experienced what you're trying to learn. Don't blindly accept it, but consider it, that's all. After all, us old folks are the ones who wrote the history books you younger folks are (hopefully) learning from;)

Reactions: McM

Wayne Kerr

a fuck off is always acceptable*

Barry McCockinner

Forum Veteran
From MWB's article...

Monopoly Empire is designed to be completed in as little as 30 minutes, a far cry from the marathon sessions that can take place with the original
Yeah, so they can get to that Xbox sooner. Board games are a way of interacting with humans, in the presence of humans, as opposed to over the internet. Board games help to teach/reinforce social interaction.

Getting rid of jail in the game - too much coddling of kids these days. Goes to what waynekerr said above.

Parents and children tell us they want a quick in-and-out, frictionless gaming experience
Why? What's wrong with a marathon game of Monopoly (or whatever other board game)? It's better than sitting in front of the Xbox all day...

Between 2004 and 2009, the media consumption of youngsters soared from 1.5 hours a day to 7.5 hours a day, according to a Kaiser Family Foundation study. And while a survey by Mattel found that 60 percent of parents would like their children to spend more time with traditional toys, kids gravitate toward social media, electronic games and television. They’re focused on winning and moving on to the next thing, but those priorities come at the expense of socialization and face to face bonding time with friends and family.

Its worth noting that video games may increase hand eye coordination and reflexes, etc....but at the cost of developing a need for instant gratification and decreased attention span. To me, the correlation is obvious.

Barry McCockinner

Forum Veteran
your choice, those well behaved, imaginative children of days past. or todays kids, who are oh so lovely...
Smack that bitch across the mouth.

Its worth noting that video games may increase hand eye coordination and reflexes, etc....but at the cost of developing a need for instant gratification and decreased attention span. To me, the correlation is obvious.
Possibly (probably?), but video games in moderation, I believe, are ok and actually beneficial. The key is moderation, however cliche it may sound.