Thief sues store owner after cutting his testicles during robbery (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Cold Ethyl

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
A shopkeeper in Ireland is being sued by a burglar who hurt his genitals while trying to escape after robbing his premises.
Three men broke into the shop in County Cavan using a sledgehammer but as they tried to make a getaway, one of them cut his genitals on a shelf, the shopkeeper named Kevin told RTE's Liveline radio programme.
He told the host Joe Duffy, the incident happened in November 2015 and the three men were given six month suspended sentences for their roles in the burglary.
But he said he got a letter from one of the men's solicitor 'asking me to take all responsibility for the accident', the independent.ie reported.
'Three men broke into the store at the back of the shop. While they were making their getaway there happened to be someone there and they rang the police and they (burglars) were caught red-handed.
'They had taken stuff from the store and they were ready to load it into the car and make a getaway. The guards came and they were chased back into the store and in the process one of them injured themselves.
They were arrested and he was taken to hospital. He injured himself on a shelf or something. He had a cut to his scrotum. In the medical report it said he had to get stitches.'
Kevin claims the man's solicitor went to Ireland's Personal Injuries Assessment Board (PIAB), which said it would cost €600 for the case to be settled by arbitration.
'I got a letter from his solicitor asking me to take responsibility for the accident.
My solicitor advised me to wait and see. We didn't do anything. His solicitor then lodged it with PIAB and we got the letter from PIAB. If we wanted to take part it would cost us €600.
'We didn't initially claim insurance. We had to repair the door and they destroyed the CCTV.'
According to Kevin, the injured burglar is also suing 'the Garda Commissioner, Minister for Justice, the Attorney General and the State' adding: 'It would be funny if it wasn't true.'
A PIAB spokesman said: 'While we cannot comment on any individual case, when we receive a claim we are required by law to write to the person the claim is made against giving them the option of having the case assessed by PIAB, which is a low cost and quick system.
They then have a period of 90 days to look into whether they believe the claim is valid or not, and can decide whether to allow us to assess the claim or not.'
Burglar who injured genitals sues shopkeeper in Ireland | Daily Mail Online

Back