Turn based strategy game

Preacher

*** space available for advertising ***
Guys.

Im looking for a good turn based strategy game, I'm not looking for something with good graphics, I'm looking for a game that respects questions related to realism and, if possible, that the game is in a historical context.

Do you have any games to recommend?

I'm playing this one, but I'm looking for something better.

OP
Preacher

Preacher

Have you look on Steam? There are some good games there.
Thanks TSS

Yes, but there are also many games that seem to be good and actually stink. So before going out to buy some wanted to know if you knew one that is good. :tu:

Legendary Fuckwad

STAGE 5 CANCER
It's not turn based (it's real time) but SuperPower 2 is a really good geo-political simulator. You can control almost any country (even Palestine/Gaza) and lead them to prosperity. You have to manage politics, economy, and military all at the same time while the AI (the rest of the world) does the same. It's a really cool game and it goes on sale for like $2.99 sometimes.

I usually play as the rebels in the Afghan mountains doing terrorist shit to Israel and blaming it on one of the neighboring countries. Really fun to start a war between 2 countries, but sometimes you get caught doing the covert actions and that's not very fun when America sends their entire navy to the middle east to wipe your tiny tribe out..

8/10 game - definitely recommend!

OP
Preacher

Preacher

It's not turn based (it's real time) but SuperPower 2 is a really good geo-political simulator. You can control almost any country (even Palestine/Gaza) and lead them to prosperity. You have to manage politics, economy, and military all at the same time while the AI (the rest of the world) does the same. It's a really cool game and it goes on sale for like $2.99 sometimes.

I usually play as the rebels in the Afghan mountains doing terrorist shit to Israel and blaming it on one of the neighboring countries. Really fun to start a war between 2 countries, but sometimes you get caught doing the covert actions and that's not very fun when America sends their entire navy to the middle east to wipe your tiny tribe out..

8/10 game - definitely recommend!
Cooooooooooooooooooool !

I will see that game also !!

Thanks !!!!

McM

Krautnigger
Just saw there's 'Silent Storm' available on steam (10 bucks here). It's quite old (2004) but I can remember I played it for a long time. You could name it 'round based tactics' short after WW2 because the missions are played on a smaller scale (a village or building). The game has some alternative history elements like the Germans have some fictional guns in the later game, You play a team of allied spec-ops.

Last edited:
OP
Preacher

Preacher

Just saw there's 'Silent Storm' available on steam (10 bucks here). It's quite old (2004) but I can remember I played it for a long time. You could name it 'round based tactics' short after WW2 because the missions are played on a smaller scale (a village or building). The game has some alternative history elements like the Germans have some fictional guns in the later game, You play a team of allied spec-ops.
From what I just saw in a few videos it has a certain resemblance to the XCOM game... (I really liked those games, I finished the game UFO "Enemy Unknown" a lot of times )

I'm going to look at this one too!

Thanks !

• Agree
Reactions: McM

McM

Krautnigger
From what I just saw in a few videos it has a certain resemblance to the XCOM game... (I really liked those games, I finished the game UFO "Enemy Unknown" a lot of times )

I'm going to look at this one too!

Thanks!
I played the later UFOs 'afterlight, aftershock, aftermath' a lot but never came through the whole campaign. As soon the aliens start to work with their psycho shit what turns my best soldiers against me the game was over.
At the moment I have XCOM2 with the 'Long War' mod installed and give it a try sometimes. I'm not good in that game too.

OP
Preacher

Preacher

I played the later UFOs 'afterlight, aftershock, aftermath' a lot but never came through the whole campaign. As soon the aliens start to work with their psycho shit what turns my best soldiers against me the game was over.
At the moment I have XCOM2 with the 'Long War' mod installed and give it a try sometimes. I'm not good in that game too.
I played ( and won ) all of them, from the UFO enemy unknown for 386 to the XCOM 2. Even the UFO terror from the deep.

Yes, in all the UFOs the aliens have a constant, when you already equate them armamentistically, they begin to attack psychologically (first they generate terror, they do not take control of the soldiers at the beginning ) there you already have to be close to achieving development is the psychological laboratory, to make your soldiers resistant and then be the one to take control of an alien. That's where the game gets easy again, because you take control of a "gray" and with that gray you can take control of another ( you can control 2 aliens per soldier ). You make them kill each other and you can finish levels practically without firing :tu:

OP
Preacher

Preacher

And IIRC you had to catch an alien alive first.
Exactly. Catching living aliens (especially leaders) are what enable Alien technology research. Among them, the psycho lab.

I remember that I always do the same in all UFOs.

Beginning of the game:
  • I start investigating the laser weapons (all) to not depend on the clips and have better aim.
  • I research better weapons for interceptors
  • I research basic armors
Middle game:
  • I start to capture aliens I start to investigate the robotic units
  • I investigate the bullets that disable the enemy's mechanical units.
  • Investigate medium resistance armor
End-game
  • I research the psychological laboratory.
  • I research armor that allow you to fly
  • I investigate interceptor improvement to have faster interceptors.

And as a team I always use the same to combat, two snipers, two with heavy machine guns, two with common rifles. Those who carry heavy machine guns also carry a rocket launcher (for zone damage) and those with common rifles are medical personnel as well. Sometimes I carry a tank (which replaces a heavy machine gunner)

And in 99% of the cases, I advance in one turn, the second turn I leave them defending, waiting for the alien movement, and the third one I move forward again (so on), except in Terror missions.

:tu: :tu: