US Vet ~ Mexican Jail (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Antique Shotgun Lands Marine in Mexico Jail

4:01 AM EST, Thu December 13, 2012

Miami (CNN) -- For a war vet from South Florida, a leisurely road trip to a seaside vacation came to an abrupt end in a Mexican jail, where he has languished for four months, sometimes chained to a bed.

For the first few months, Jon Hammar's parents kept his plight out of the public eye, fearing that media attention could bring harm to him in prison.
But now they are coming forward, hoping the publicity will push Mexican authorities to act.

Hammar, 27, is being held in the border town of Matamoros, just across from Brownsville, Texas. It is notorious as the home of the Gulf Cartel, one of Mexico's major drug trafficking organizations.

"The only reason they were going to stop was to get more gas," his father said.

Hammar, who served in Iraq and Afghanistan as a Marine, was headed to Costa Rica in August to go surfing with a fellow veteran.

He had surfed there before and packed every good surf board he had, his parents said.

But he also took one item that quickly became troublesome: an antique shotgun handed down from his great grandfather.

He intended to hunt with it, his parents said. And he declared it with U.S. border agents.

But after he drove his Winnebago a few feet farther to the Mexican side, authorities arrested him, saying the weapon did not comply with their gun laws.

"The crime that he's charged with is possession of a weapon that's restricted for military use," Olivia Hammar, the mother, said.

A branch of the Mexican military has said the gun is not on their "forbidden list," she said. But the former Marine remains incarcerated.

A few nights after Hammar's arrest, his parents received the first of several threatening calls from inside the jail, they said.

"He said: I have your son," Olivia Hammar recalled, tearing up. "I am going to f--- him up. I already have."

Then she heard her son's voice.

"He said: Mom, you've got to do what they say; they're really serious."

The voice at the other end of the line asked for $1,800.

Senator Bill Nelson, a Democrat from Florida, stepped in on Hammar's behalf, speaking to Mexico's ambassador to the United States.

"We interceded to get him out of the general prison population," Nelson said. This served to remove Hammar from contact with dangerous inmates.

The calls have since stopped, his mother said.

"He is now being kept in a low...intensity place, more like an administrative place," Nelson said.

But because of the low security of the new facility, which Olivia Hammar describes as a storage shed, officials periodically chain Hammar to his bed.

The Hammars recently turned to their U.S. congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, who heads the Committee on Foreign Affairs.

"This is outrageous," Ros-Lehtinen said. She has spoken with the State Department, the U.S. ambassador to Mexico and will meet with the Mexican ambassador to the United States this week. "Enough is enough," she said.

"Jonny, we're going to get you out of there," Olivia Hammar said to her son by phone on Friday.

He reminded her that she has been telling him that since August.

Their son returned to them safe and unharmed from Iraq and Afghanistan. Hammar's parents now fear they could lose him just across the border, if they wait too much longer.

Source

mrln

silent ghost
see,shit like this,makes me just want to go around killing every mexican that i think is in this country illegally. this is bullshit. apparently it seems like they didnt do too much research into if the weapon is allowed into mexico,prior to going to that shithole. and if its an illegal weapon to posess or not. either way,we treat their criminals with more respect than these piece of shits do to our people. one would think that "hey,maybe we should treat these american prisoners with a little more respect,since they come to our country to vacation and party. if we dont,they wont come back here". ya know....

Wolf

The weak are meat the strong do eat...
Bringing ANY gun into Mexico is a bad idea. Especially after the botched "Operation Fast and Furious" program the ATF ran. It caused a lot of embarrassment and anger on both sides.

D

DECADENCE

Internet Warrior
He shouldn't have taken a gun into another country...especially as one as corrupt as Mexico, it's just asking for trouble.

girl101

Forum Veteran
i have been hearing this story on the john and ken show for the last few days. from what i heard the gun is 100 yrs old basically an antique. the mexicans are afraid he going to start a war with them with a antique shot gun

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Ya, he brought over some old gun...but he claimed it at the border and was permitted entry. Once he passed into Mexico they nabbed him. The thing is the gun is not even on Mexico's list of prohibited/forbidden list of weapons.

Next time he goes to Mexico, if he ever gets out of jail, he's better off bringing in a case of M4A1's and a few RPG's. They'd probably let him right on through.

D

DECADENCE

Internet Warrior
Just looks like somebody (officials) were looking to make a quick buck using this guy as bait.

goregirlkayla88

PREPARE FOR THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE
see,shit like this,makes me just want to go around killing every mexican that i think is in this country illegally. this is bullshit. apparently it seems like they didnt do too much research into if the weapon is allowed into mexico,prior to going to that shithole. and if its an illegal weapon to posess or not. either way,we treat their criminals with more respect than these piece of shits do to our people. one would think that "hey,maybe we should treat these american prisoners with a little more respect,since they come to our country to vacation and party. if we dont,they wont come back here". ya know....

guns are banned in mexico.. all it was is an american who might have money, and just the starving "feral" mexicans behave this way..not the ones working

GoreErectus

Forum Veteran
I'm sorry, but this guy is pretty daft. Never, ever drive into Mexico, especially that part. Fly a plane, take a cruise, stay in well known, well lit areas. Do not walk around at night, or go off by yourself into the wilderness, etc.. Use common sense people. And bringing a gun? I'm sorry, that's just stupid...

Graziani

TRUMP BACK TO WHITE HOUSE
I'm sorry, but this guy is pretty daft. Never, ever drive into Mexico, especially that part. Fly a plane, take a cruise, stay in well known, well lit areas. Do not walk around at night, or go off by yourself into the wilderness, etc.. Use common sense people. And bringing a gun? I'm sorry, that's just stupid...
@Tony Lazudo Me and Rico Lazudo , we like mexicans women :thrust:

Last edited:

Reject

This user was banned

Miami (CNN) -- For a war vet from South Florida, a leisurely road trip to a seaside vacation came to an abrupt end in a Mexican jail, where he has languished for four months, sometimes chained to a bed.

For the first few months, Jon Hammar's parents kept his plight out of the public eye, fearing that media attention could bring harm to him in prison.
But now they are coming forward, hoping the publicity will push Mexican authorities to act.

Hammar, 27, is being held in the border town of Matamoros, just across from Brownsville, Texas. It is notorious as the home of the Gulf Cartel, one of Mexico's major drug trafficking organizations.

Hammar, who served in Iraq and Afghanistan as a Marine, was headed to Costa Rica in August to go surfing with a fellow veteran.

He had surfed there before and packed every good surf board he had, his parents said.

But he also took one item that quickly became troublesome: an antique shotgun handed down from his great grandfather.

He intended to hunt with it, his parents said. And he declared it with U.S. border agents.

But after he drove his Winnebago a few feet farther to the Mexican side, authorities arrested him, saying the weapon did not comply with their gun laws.

"The crime that he's charged with is possession of a weapon that's restricted for military use," Olivia Hammar, the mother, said.

A branch of the Mexican military has said the gun is not on their "forbidden list," she said. But the former Marine remains incarcerated.

A few nights after Hammar's arrest, his parents received the first of several threatening calls from inside the jail, they said.

"He said: I have your son," Olivia Hammar recalled, tearing up. "I am going to f--- him up. I already have."

Senator Bill Nelson, a Democrat from Florida, stepped in on Hammar's behalf, speaking to Mexico's ambassador to the United States.

"We interceded to get him out of the general prison population," Nelson said. This served to remove Hammar from contact with dangerous inmates.

"He is now being kept in a low...intensity place, more like an administrative place," Nelson said.

But because of the low security of the new facility, which Olivia Hammar describes as a storage shed, officials periodically chain Hammar to his bed.

The Hammars recently turned to their U.S. congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, who heads the Committee on Foreign Affairs.

"This is outrageous," Ros-Lehtinen said. She has spoken with the State Department, the U.S. ambassador to Mexico and will meet with the Mexican ambassador to the United States this week. "Enough is enough," she said.

"Jonny, we're going to get you out of there," Olivia Hammar said to her son by phone on Friday.

Their son returned to them safe and unharmed from Iraq and Afghanistan. Hammar's parents now fear they could lose him just across the border, if they wait too much longer.

Sourceg

Source
Good, that’ll teach him a lesson. Different country and rules. But he is an American and he thinks his military bullshit is something they give a fuck about in mexico.
Let him stay in general population, become someone’s wife ,he is ready for Mexican sausage that’s for sure.

Back