vBulletin cries, sues xenforo

D.O.A.

These are great days we're living, bros
back story: UK based developers of vbulletin 3 leave and create a rival forum system built from scratch, almost in secret. Vbulletin, now a Californian company called IB, releases a buggy vb4 too early with massive price increase, fucks old customers agreements on the vb3 licence upgrade terms and loses a lot of customers. Xenforo springs up and scares the fuck out of vbulletin. Vbulletin stomp their feet and declare they own the rights to everything these guys think of and the forum's code they had never seen in a pre-emptive lawsuit. Turns out vb4 was coded with fail, so all's well ends well.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/a-statement-regarding-the-current-litigation.7567/#post-105968

OP
D.O.A.

D.O.A.

what's this mean for the forum?
Nothing really, it just shows up vbulletin as the ruthless motherfuckers they are, in the last 1 year they (the new owners) have damaged the brand badly. vbtruth.com covers a lot of the lulz and faceplam generated by these idiots.

this was the move that killed me as a customer.

in the run up to the release of the new vBulletin 4.0. In the past, users paid a one-time fee for an "owned license." That meant they could use the product for all eternity - though they wouldn't receive upgrades, support, or security updates unless they renewed the license each year for a small additional fee ($30). Under the new plan, these licenses vanish. In order to keep using the product in full, they must pay a larger one-time fee for the 4.0 upgrade.

They broke the fucking contracts. full stop. A class action against them is in the works.

I'm not upgrading to their dodgy vb4 bug riddled code bloated cms shit for another $250, I'll take sides with the new kid on the block lol for $99 and build my own fucking cms/frontpage. Remember how good vbulletin was? well these xenforo guys are the ones who made it good, and I have 100% confidence in their product being a success. Next week beta 3 comes out and after that it should be close to release version 1.0. As things are, we run a very stable beta atm, not a final product.

Blaine

Dead Meme
Oppressor
Administrator
I caught wind of this vBulletin/Xenforo commotion on the electronic grapevine (quite possibly from D.O.A. in the super-secret admin section, or maybe I happened across it on my own), but I never bothered to read the details, because... well, frankly, these situations are all too predictable. It's like every episode of Scooby Doo: Shitty 1970s stereotype characters drive their hippie van to a family-fun-style creepy location at night, encounter apparent scary creatures, and unravel the mystery in about fifteen minutes, as well as unmasking the perpetrators pretending to be scary creatures.

Holy fuck, I hate that show. Always have.

Anyway, it seems a fairly frequent occurrence in this industry that three or four truly intelligent nerds invent something really cool and/or useful, whereupon a bunch of douchebags in suits latch onto it to market it, distribute it, and milk it for money.

The nerds leave the project, looking for something new (and not being leeched off of by douchebags), so the suits hire run-of-the-mill computer programming dorks to take their place. It's worth noting that in this year of 2010, the word "nerd" is being used improperly. Some chubby bimbo who wears glasses and plays video games is referred to as a "nerd" these days.

You've probably never seen an actual nerd in real life, or perhaps you have, and didn't realize it. vBulletin was invented by nerds. The nerds are far better at what they do than the douchebag brigade, so....

Blaine

Dead Meme
Oppressor
Administrator
I finally got around to looking up some detailed information about the Xenforo/vBulletin war, and it seems vBulletin threatened that lawsuit just as Xenforo was launching, warning them not to sell the software, and even vaguely threatening potential Xenforo customers: “We trust that software purchasers understand the risks of infringement of copyright law and act accordingly.”

Internet Brands knew about Xenforo's development for quite some time before this, D.O.A., because apparently people were starting "Will you switch to Xenforo?"-type threads on vBulletin's official site (and elsewhere) for months before its release. To their credit, they allowed these threads to remain open until the legislation began. A large number of people showed interest in switching.

It's safe to say that IB's blatant bullying has backfired. They alienated a truly significant portion of their customers (not a vocal minority, but possibly as much as 50%), scores people have rallied in support of Xenforo (and asked for Donate buttons to assist with legal defense), and some vBulletin mod developers are even pulling their mods from vb.org, or simply discontinuing support for them.

These people want to bully their competitors and price-gouge their customers (in a very insidious way) for a buggy product. I'm glad we switched.

matahari

Star Fox 64
I can support that, either way VB is forced to "man up" at this point and make their product better or suffer the most dire of consequences, lose money.

OP
D.O.A.

D.O.A.

"Hey guys & potential new customers!(backpedal) sorry for the outage today, we were just testing new features!(lie) and because these features didnt work, you can download your updated 4.0.lol version today!! have fun pulling your hair out!!(truth)"

- adrian
I.B. Team

Teddyray

I like chickens
so we are stuck with being a goresite/facebook hybrid. i'll concede if i can get some profile customization options like my mutherfucking MUSIC!

matahari

Star Fox 64
You can bet it will happen as developers scramble to modify their scripts and addons to accommodate Xenforo.

Blaine

Dead Meme
Oppressor
Administrator
Well, I agree that this newfangled forum template is hard to adapt to after many years of vBulletin-style forums, which everyone and their cat has been using since forever. Old VB was basically a flat collection of rectangular boxes with links, buttons, and text. Very spartan and bare-bones, which are traits I appreciate. (Until they started adding frills and shit recently, but oh well.)

This software has mouse hover pop-ups, embedded shit all over the place, and just seems a lot more dynamic and, yes, Facebook-like than VB. But it seems perfectly viable, and considering that it's still totally new, I think it works incredibly well.

OP
D.O.A.

D.O.A.

so we are stuck with being a goresite/facebook hybrid. i'll concede if i can get some profile customization options like my mutherfucking MUSIC!
So by your logic having a like button means we are facebook? I didnt know that every car with a drink holder was the same make, or having a postbit legacy looking theme makes us vbulletin again.
Vbulletin has a popular add-on called the thanks button, been around for years. Change "thanks" to "like". OMG

OP
D.O.A.

D.O.A.

Well, I agree that this newfangled forum template is hard to adapt to after many years of vBulletin-style forums, which everyone and their cat has been using since forever. Old VB was basically a flat collection of rectangular boxes with links, buttons, and text. Very spartan and bare-bones, which are traits I appreciate. (Until they started adding frills and shit recently, but oh well.)

This software has mouse hover pop-ups, embedded shit all over the place, and just seems a lot more dynamic and, yes, Facebook-like than VB. But it seems perfectly viable, and considering that it's still totally new, I think it works incredibly well.
The thing is I could turn off all that javascript shit, everything fancy and clone the vbulletin theme we had and people would just whine about the custom profiles and mp3's being missing, they wouldnt be any wiser I made a switch. Yes the internet has evolved since vbulletin dominated the scene, mainy to do with the code behind it all, semantic web design, well programmed object orientated code, use of jquery, CSS standards and other wanted stuff vbulletin has failed to deliver, constantly.

If Kier was still project manager for vbulletin, xenforo would be vbulletin 4, not this rushed joke of a script they have now that is constantly being updated because it's broken beyond repair. Vbulletin 4 was just money in the bank for IB after it blew a wad buying jelsoft, the real vbulletin company. And a way to screw over 3.x customers with the old licence deal.

My rambling point is, all the rounded corners you see here, all the fancy effects and shit, are just cosmetic. I can turn it off, burn it off, whatever. The real power is what's in the .php files, and compared to vbulletin, we had/have a product that still has the ink drying on the code and it's almost stable (in the code) for a version 1 release, and vbulletin has years of experience, millions of dollars in the kitty, one of the largest internet media companies in the world own them and they crap out vb4 :facepalm: what. the. fuck.

OP
D.O.A.

D.O.A.

oh and vbulletin are already talking up vb5, a slap in the face to anyone using vb4. And vb5 plus a frontpage script (cms) will be another $250 licence deal. :rage:

Blaine

Dead Meme
Oppressor
Administrator
What really boggles my mind is that while I know forum software is more complicated than it looks on the surface, for fuck's sake, a forum is essentially just a fancy outline template with custom names, avatars, embedding capability and a text/code entry field.

So I personally don't see what all this $250 horse shit is about. MS Windows costs about that much, and Windows is a far more complex program. Plus, Jelsoft has at least one competitor, whereas Windows doesn't (unless you count a 10% minority of OS X and Linux users).