What Are The Best Tools For Home Recording?

ramblar

Forum Veteran
I want to do some tracks at home, I'm looking for some suggestions on what I should get. I know Tascam has some awsome shit, but are there any PC programs that would work as well? Also what would you suggest as well as a some quality devices that would improve on the programs, i.e. recording sound. I'm trying to stay on a low budget, if possible. I have allready checked on doing it in a studio, but $400 a day is out of my reach at this time. What I'm looking for are some good demo's to show off my songs.

Hellwig

Banned
Short Bussed
I'm interested in this shit, too.
So many options out there it's kinda hard to know where to start and what programs do what. :shrug:

ramblar

Forum Veteran
Audacity is a freeware recording suite. Google & download, then enjoy.
Got it, but I'm looking for something to improve recording quality. You know as well as I that a good mike, or something makes all the difference in how it will sound.

gman

Free Shrugs©
Got it, but I'm looking for something to improve recording quality. You know as well as I that a good mike, or something makes all the difference in how it will sound.

If you want to up the quality without spending ridiculous amounts of cash, cruise eBay for a Yamaha AW16g workstation and a sE Electronics condenser mic.
image.jpg
image.jpg

ramblar

Forum Veteran
If you want to up the quality without spending ridiculous amounts of cash, cruise eBay for a Yamaha AW16g workstation and a sE Electronics condenser mic.
View attachment 89708 View attachment 89709
Looks nice. But is there something out there, that one of us has used, that we can basicaly plug a mike into and get a good recording off a PC? Like a small board, one mike at a time would do the job, that uses a USB, again, one that anyone has used before

gman

Free Shrugs©
For the cost of decent PC software - unless someone can provide you a cracked copy - you may as well go for the gear I've shown you.

ShitFuck

Rookie

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/tascam-us-144mkii-usb-2.0-4-channel-audio-midi-interface

I got that one. Works good for me, just make sure you have a decent pair of headphones or audio monitors you can hook up to it. Once the recording software is using the Tascam, you won't hear any sound through your computer speakers anymore.
It also comes with Cubase LE 5 (good enough for demo needs, gotta find a separate MP-converter though). Cubase has a great drum-editor, if you feel the need to program drums.
It also works fine with other software, such as Reaper (which is free). I prefer recording through Cubase though since the drum-editor in reaper isn't that great.

ramblar

Forum Veteran

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/tascam-us-144mkii-usb-2.0-4-channel-audio-midi-interface

I got that one. Works good for me, just make sure you have a decent pair of headphones or audio monitors you can hook up to it. Once the recording software is using the Tascam, you won't hear any sound through your computer speakers anymore.
It also comes with Cubase LE 5 (good enough for demo needs, gotta find a separate MP-converter though). Cubase has a great drum-editor, if you feel the need to program drums.
It also works fine with other software, such as Reaper (which is free). I prefer recording through Cubase though since the drum-editor in reaper isn't that great.
Nice, I actually saw that one today when I was looking up the Yamaha.

Hellwig

Banned
Short Bussed
This is prolly a stupid question. :facepalm:

So, I have a guitar/amp - that's it. And I want have some song ideas I want to record. Does the recording software have 'instruments' ie drums, bass, keyboards etc. that you can program in and record, or do u need separate software an shit for that?

gman

Free Shrugs©

So, I have a guitar/amp - that's it. And I want have some song ideas I want to record. Does the recording software have 'instruments' ie drums, bass, keyboards etc. that you can program in and record, or do u need separate software an shit for that?

Do a Google search for Fruity Loops. I think there is a free version you could try.

ShitFuck

Rookie

Usually they have some very basic ones. You can download 4Front Bass and 4Front Piano, they're very basic Bass/Piano plugins. They'll do the trick, but nothing more than that. You'd have to use a midi-program (such as Powertab 1.7; it's free) to write the basslines.
Decent drum-software will most like come at a price. EZdrummer is quite decent though. As for guitar effects, there's an enormous amount of free plugins available. Poulin makes a whole bunch of very good virtual amps. Most free stuff is just amps though, so you'd need a seperate cabinet, such as Kefir or Voxengo Boogex.

Or you can do it the easy way; find some torrents for Amplitube, Guitar Rig, EZdrummer, Superiordrummer, Trillogy Bass Synths, and be done :D