What Instrument Do U Play?

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
I know that GG has had threads about guitar brand vs guitar brand, or best drummers, but with so many different instruments out there - there must be GG folks that play more that just guitar or drums.

My history is
  1. Guitar (electric/acoustic and lead) - still currently playing.
  2. Bagpipes (the Highland Pipes) - had to give up abt 10 years ago when damaged some shoulder nerves. Played almost 2 years and was in 2 pipe bands.
  3. Piano (my first instrument) - no longer play.
  4. Mandolin (mostly when I was my Zepp tribute band).
Pics of your instruments would be awesome (fiddle, banjo, flute, cello, sax, bass, etc.)...and a nice break from the usual electric guitar or drum kit.

I have these pics posted in another thread, but I am also adding them here because I can't start a thread like this without adding my own pics to get it going. Once I get to it, I'll add pics of my bagpipe sets (I have 2) and some of my guitars not shown here yet. The piano and mandolin, I have no pictures of (my mandolin was stolen at a gig that we played in Toronto eons ago).

1. Electric guitars
74-les-paul-anni6.jpg

doublenecker-2.jpg

fender-strat.jpg

creepod

(͡• ͜ʖ ͡•)
very nice collection deathhand. i've always wanted to play an instrument but i could never figure out which one. i need a fairly cheap, easy to play, with a nice tune one. maybe a sax(not cheap at all tho)
i like the bass too but im guessing you have to start off with a classical one?

OP
DeathHand

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
very nice collection deathhand. i've always wanted to play an instrument but i could never figure out which one. i need a fairly cheap, easy to play, with a nice tune one. maybe a sax(not cheap at all tho)
i like the bass too but im guessing you have to start off with a classical one?
You mean a classical bass as in a stand up bass? If so, no...some like to play them...but most just start off with a affordable electric bass guitar. Forget the stand up version if that's what ya meant.

1. Electric bass (John Paul Jones)
john-paul-jones-electric-bass.jpg

2. Big assed bass - stand up style.
stand-up-classical-bass.jpg

creepod

(͡• ͜ʖ ͡•)
You mean a classical bass as in a stand up bass? If so, no...some like to play them...but most just start off with a affordable electric bass guitar. Forget the stand up version if that's what ya meant.
i meant classical guitar.. as in the simplest, cheapest, most shittiest one that sounds like piano music. since.. its the easiest guitar to start on. or atleast that what i was told.

OP
DeathHand

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
i meant classical guitar.. as in the simplest, cheapest, most shittiest one that sounds like piano music. since.. its the easiest guitar to start on. or atleast that what i was told.
Lols, and hell no...unless you have an automatic natural knack for guitar...ditch the classical until you get the feel of a regular acoustic or electric guitar. And classical guitars are not the cheapest or shittiest...most have the best sound of non-amplified guitars. A nice, cheap acoustic (brand not important) would do ya just fine.

creepod

(͡• ͜ʖ ͡•)
Lols, and hell no...unless you have an automatic natural knack for guitar...ditch the classical until you get the feel of a regular acoustic or electric guitar. And classical guitars are not the cheapest or shittiest...most have the best sound of non-amplified guitars. A nice, cheap acoustic (brand not important) would do ya just fine.
arent acoustic harder to play tho?

OP
DeathHand

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Nope...no harder than a classical guitar or an electric. Each uses different types of strings with varying neck widths. Main problem with a classical guitar is being stuck with the those fat nylon strings. They won't shred your finger tips but ya can't do what you can with a set of .008 strings on an electric or .10's on an acoustic.

Classical guitars are awesome...I let my last one go a few years back...but there's not alot of versatility to them, depending on what the player wants to do. But if going to get a classical guitar, then cheap won't do you shit. Atleast go to the mid-range of something used; same for an acoustic.

OP
DeathHand

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Remember too, that you play classical music on a classical guitar - they are built and made for that sound along with the strings that we use for them.

An acoustic guitar can range from country to folk to rock to almost anything that you can think of playing on a guitar. The acoustics use nickel and brass wound strings and produce a fairly different sound/tone than a classical with it's nylon strings: both sound great, as long as playing music to fit the guitar.

OP
DeathHand

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Ok, here is one of my sets of highland bagpipes. These are c1975, or earlier and were handed down to me by one of uncles who was a piper (48th Highlanders). This set is fussy but once all is tuned up it plays like a charm.

I do have a second set of pipes that where handed down from a great-great uncle in Scotland. This second set is a set of Glens, but the drones have a number of cracks. These ones are c1865 pipes and I don't play them so that I don't go and create more cracks. I'd add a pic of them but I can't find the key for the case, lols.

c1975-pipes1-DH.jpg

c1975-pipes2-DH.jpg

c1975-pipes3-DH.jpg

OP
DeathHand

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Awesome, revolva. Good to see what ya play. I think I said way up there some where that piano was my first instrument: I forgot to mention the drums were my second.

And bar chords are always acceptable!

:cool:

OP
DeathHand

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Going through some old band photos I came across a BC Rich (a 1980 Rich Bich) that I bought and decked out Eddie style (I know, but I hey was only like 16) with the tape 'n shit. I think I bought this guitar in '81 or '82. This pic goes back to about 1983-84.

gregs-bc-rich-c1985.jpg

Ok these are the instruments I'm GOOD at playing...
1. Drums
2. Flute
3. Piccolo
4. Oboe
5. Clarinet
6. Piano

These are the instruments I can play but am not really great at...

1. Bagpipes
2. Tuba
3. Trumpet
4. Saxophone
5. French Horn

I'm LOUSY at stringed instruments, dunno why, never became second nature to me like other instruments.

I'm planning on buying myself a Cello for my birthday though...

Yes this post shows just how much of a nerd I am. haha :p