What Were Your Favorite PC Games From Around Ten Years Ago?

aRyan

TRUMP or BUST
I started this thread just because I was looking through a box of old computer stuff I just found tucked away in a closet and found the game STRIFE (with my handwriting on it "Best Game Ever 1997") and couldn't believe it. I remember this game well. I played it and played it and played it. So awesome.

I also found FULL THROTTLE

Also QUEST FOR GLORY IV

Finding these old games really made me smile.

What are some of your favorite games from the past?

Torque Button

"boo fucking hoo" "Die in a fire"

Ninj

So it seems.
Some of my old games are still my favourites. Thank fuck for dosbox, can play the majority still. :leaf:
Plus if I ever lost them, abandonware sites and good nerd game sites like GoodOldGames.com are around.

I have many favourites, it's probably easier if I categorise them:

Adventure games

I loved full throttle. Still got my cd copy along with these gems: The Dig , Flight of the Amazon Queen, Simon the Sorceror 1+2, Sam and max hit the road, Discworld.

Dreamweb was another fucking win adventure. Such awesome atmosphere and involvement for a game with pretty poor graphics.

Ripper. Cyberpunk style FMV based adventure. Had a good cast - and Christopher Walken was lulzy.

FPS

Doom was one of the first pc games I had access to. Still has a big place in my heart.
That and the original Unreal Tournament. Hard to replay old shooters again now, headache material.
I still got a lot of hours out of some of them.

Strategy/Tactics

Command & Conquer. Original was an epic in it's time.
Syndicate. One of my colleagues was raving the other day about EA bringing out a new game called "Syndicate". Lol, new. The original was fucking hard to complete, but was a big favourite of mine as a nipper. I hope they don't fuck up the new one 20 years on.
Fragile Allegiance: This really was a golden gem. Space exploration and wars. Shame the multiplayer never really worked very well as it was promising.
UFO Defence, Xcom Terror from the Deep: Fucking legends, and anyone who has played them will more than likely agree and foam at the twat/penis.

RPG

Fallout + Fallout 2 : Fallout 2 was the first game to make me rage at my 486.

Albion: This game was fucking weird. Seriously.

First game that I looked back on when I was older and asked myself;
"WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON HERE?!"

Over 20 years

Special mention for Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe (SWOTL). Old flight sim, blocky and ugly as fuck now. I don't know how I managed to play it. But it was still awesome in the day.

I've only scratched the surface in all honesty. I loved a lot of old games, but these ones stick out for me right now.

Also, lol quarantine. Played that game over and over, but always struggled after the 2nd city. Hard as nails.

Anon420x

Chillin' Swede
I absolutely love the Half-Life games. I remember as a kid i was watching my dad play it, then when he went to sleep i occupied his computer, just to smack scientists in the face with a crowbar. Oh, the nostalgia. <3

SAF

Imperator
Administrator
Special mention for Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe (SWOTL). Old flight sim, blocky and ugly as fuck now. I don't know how I managed to play it. But it was still awesome in the day.
A friend of my mothers had Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe. I used to love that shit as a kid.

Also also: forgot to mention Rise of the Triad \o/

Ninj

So it seems.
A friend of my mothers had Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe. I used to love that shit as a kid.

Win to hear you also enjoyed it man, most of my friends are clueless about it.
Also, BOB: their finest hour. The even blockier prequel. :wank:

Also also: forgot to mention Rise of the Triad \o/

It's all about 'Ludicrous gibs!' \o/

Gorgutz

Post-Mortem
Hah! That game kicked ass! Do you remember the REALLY old game Quarantine?

Carmageddon was inspired in quarantine given its Mad Max style post-apocalyptic world. Both of them fucking awesome. Quarantine 2 wasn't as good as the first, though.

-Doom I & II, Heretic
-Duke Nukem 2 & 3D
-Blood
-Diablo I & II
-Counter Strike, Half Life & Opposing Force
-Raptor: Call of the shadows
-Rise of the triad
-Mutant League Hockey (sega genesis)
-Syphon Filter I/II/III (PSone)
-Full Throttle
-Starcraft
-Age of Empires I & II