What's it like to go to the war area? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SPHINCTERPUNCH

THE SPHINCTER PUNCHER!
I wonder, if anyone here has gone to war area? Such as Iraq War, Syria War etc
No matter as soldier, journalist, civilian(who lives there) or even traveller.
There's some Military Dudes & Dudettes here! But I'll let them speak up for themselves! PROPS TO THEM!...SP

whhite

NewbieX
I was deployed to the Iraq during the war in 2006-07 right before and around the troop surge. First of all the whole country was a giant garbage can and smelled like burnt tires and we all took turns at toxic burn pits filled with garbage and shit. It was insanely hot like up to 130 degrees in the summer months. I was infantry and would be rotated on various duties like operating checkpoints and checking for car-bombs, the odd shift on guard, taking turns as QRF- Quick Reaction Force in the city. The worst thing I saw was when a suicide bomber blew up like 40 people in the city and we were the first soldiers to arrive afterwards, saw many dead bodies, was a crazy time. Handful of missions to check buildings/search for weapons caches, detaining suspected enemy forces, doing security, protecting the translator. Pulled my gun quite a few times at checkpoints, fired 2 rounds the entire time never shot or directly killed a single person. We all felt the fear during convoys because of IEDs. Nobody in my platoon was lost or even hurt if I remember correctly. 2 died in the whole company, 1 was an accident. Riding through the crowded cities in the humvees on the m2 .50 cal made my balls feel like concrete, it all felt very surreal, even convoys in the desert. There are literally sand people out there living like it's the 1st century. It's nothing like the movies. I had a really bad time there and just hated it, wanted out like you couldn't believe.

Denim Chicken

Full-On Rapist
I was deployed to the Iraq during the war in 2006-07 right before and around the troop surge. First of all the whole country was a giant garbage can and smelled like burnt tires and we all took turns at toxic burn pits filled with garbage and shit. It was insanely hot like up to 130 degrees in the summer months. I was infantry and would be rotated on various duties like operating checkpoints and checking for car-bombs, the odd shift on guard, taking turns as QRF- Quick Reaction Force in the city. The worst thing I saw was when a suicide bomber blew up like 40 people in the city and we were the first soldiers to arrive afterwards, saw many dead bodies, was a crazy time. Handful of missions to check buildings/search for weapons caches, detaining suspected enemy forces, doing security, protecting the translator. Pulled my gun quite a few times at checkpoints, fired 2 rounds the entire time never shot or directly killed a single person. We all felt the fear during convoys because of IEDs. Nobody in my platoon was lost or even hurt if I remember correctly. 2 died in the whole company, 1 was an accident. Riding through the crowded cities in the humvees on the m2 .50 cal made my balls feel like concrete, it all felt very surreal, even convoys in the desert. There are literally sand people out there living like it's the 1st century. It's nothing like the movies. I had a really bad time there and just hated it, wanted out like you couldn't believe.

Which military?
US?

Denim Chicken

Full-On Rapist
Well nice story, thanks. I had a friend that was there around the same
time, also US Army Infantry. He didn't come back the same, believe he's serving time now :/

PieFace

Wat da fack
Did u ever find them weapons of mass destruction?

tigerace09

NewbieX
Watching unarmored ANP and ANA trucks hit IEDs. It’s like fireworks, but with ground meat too. It all depends on the AO you’re in. We came during fighting season and were in contact consistently damn near everyday. But once November came, shit just died the fuck down. It was so weird but it’s understandable. The ground turns to fucking mud and mush, and then Timmy Talib can’t plant his IEDs.

What city did you spend the most time in?

Guipago

Forum Veteran
Speaking of WMD's an old mate has been into prospecting his whole life & knew a lot of small business miners, he was saying one of these guys had a large mine & had 4 old style borers that he'd just put new teeth on when the mine dryed up & closed the business, sold everything, it was late 80's, the interesting thing was the borers got sold to a group of Iraq's who paid cash, when he asked about what they were digging for they faffed about & told him bullshit, my mate said that the owner didn't care as he had a shitload of cash, the hole these borers dug was of a size to drive a small truck down & now we're looking for caves & WMD's, I got told about this about 3 yrs ago & my infertile mind went into overdrive, but the guy who owned the mine had died, I did grill my mate but he didn't twigg to borers, caves & WMD's.

DIVISION77

First, Last & Always
I wonder, if anyone here has gone to war area? Such as Iraq War, Syria War etc
No matter as soldier, journalist, civilian(who lives there) or even traveller.

Deployed to Bosnia in 1998 as part of Stabilization Force (SFOR), which was the second installment of NATO troops in the former Yugoslavia. The Croats and Serbians were slaughtering the Bosnian minority over a disagreement in religion. The Bosnians are white Muslims while the Croats and Serbians were Christians. Prior to our arrival, the US had used depleted uranium bunker buster bombs and other arsenal to break-up some of the major fighting. When I arrived, everything was set-up for us and it was a fun deployment.

I was tasked with being part of an armed patrol through Tuzla and it was interesting to see a city ruined by the wrath of war. Bullet-riddled buildings and mostly farmers. Children were always begging us for food, trying to sell us liquor and their sisters. It was a unique time for a young man learning the ways of the world.

Looking back, it was the best experience I could have had at that time. I could have gotten in to quite a bit of trouble because the opportunities were there, but I was still pure at that time. So many temptations......

sgrass

Rookie
Deployed to Bosnia in 1998 as part of Stabilization Force (SFOR), which was the second installment of NATO troops in the former Yugoslavia. The Croats and Serbians were slaughtering the Bosnian minority over a disagreement in religion. The Bosnians are white Muslims while the Croats and Serbians were Christians. Prior to our arrival, the US had used depleted uranium bunker buster bombs and other arsenal to break-up some of the major fighting. When I arrived, everything was set-up for us and it was a fun deployment.
I was tasked with being part of an armed patrol through Tuzla and it was interesting to see a city ruined by the wrath of war. Bullet-riddled buildings and mostly farmers. Children were always begging us for food, trying to sell us liquor and their sisters. It was a unique time for a young man learning the ways of the world.

Looking back, it was the best experience I could have had at that time. I could have gotten in to quite a bit of trouble because the opportunities were there, but I was still pure at that time. So many temptations......

Have you seen corpses there?

Der Wolf

Long time dead but look forward the resurrection
This user was banned
As a child, I regularly visited war areas
I actually only went to the local market to buy thnigs where everything was cheap, it is true that half the market was shot apart, bullet holes everywhere

DIVISION77

First, Last & Always

Have you seen corpses there?
No corpses. All that stuff was cleaned up prior to me getting there. The first US troops were sent to Bosnia in 1995. I was there in 1998.

Back