bizarre Why very smart scientists get it wrong. (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

methedup77

Forum Veteran
What people who dismiss evolutionary theory do not understand is the concept of deep time.

Given enough time anything is possible. I'm currently reading 'The Rise And Fall Of The Third Chimpanzee' which makes some interesting points about human evolution. For millions of years we stagnated culturally and then some tiny genetic anomally happened and we had muscles and nerves and a palate that allowed for speech. And then we really took off.

We were all modern humans by 60 000 years ago.

The hard thing to understand about the theory of evolution is deep time. We only really think of time in terms of one lifetime.

Maybe 100 years.

We can just about get our head around the Roman or Egyptian times (5000 years max).

It's when we are faced with 5 million years or 5 billion years that our idea of time gets confussed.

It's like Einstein's stuff. We are used to time at below light speed where physics is Newtonian. Get to light speed and weird stuff happens.

So given enough time tiny changes begin to have big spin off effects that mimic intelligent design.
I’d equate that theory to the virus that becomes immune to a vaccine. Very plausible

wiggins

Forum Veteran
I’d equate that theory to the virus that becomes immune to a vaccine. Very plausible
Geneticists do a lot of work with fruit flies as they have generations so quickly. Ditto even more so with virus and bacteria.

In Aus we have a rabbit problem. They introduced miximotosis (sp?) in the 1960's and it killed almost all of them off. But the ones left had some kind of immunity to it.

No intelligent design there, just genetic diversity.

Water forms snow flakes when cooled. They are pretty and float softly. Under a microscope they look engineered. But no intelligent design there either.

I'm not having a go at anyone who thinks God created it all. I just think, from what I've read, that things at a quantum level work very differently to how things seem to work in everyday life.

methedup77

Forum Veteran
Geneticists do a lot of work with fruit flies as they have generations so quickly. Ditto even more so with virus and bacteria.

In Aus we have a rabbit problem. They introduced miximotosis (sp?) in the 1960's and it killed almost all of them off. But the ones left had some kind of immunity to it.

Water forms snow flakes when cooled. They are pretty and float softly. Under a microscope they look engineered. But no intelligent design there either.

I'm not having a go at anyone who thinks God created it all. I just think, from what I've read, that things at a quantum level work very differently to how things seem to work in everyday life.
Completely agree. God is just a name for what no one knows created the engineeri

I agree. God is just a name given to the engineering you speak of because no one can understand it. Nor will we ever. And no I’m not talking about purely intelligence on evolution. Probably worded it wrong but basically a lazy way of how you explained it

Russellmark11

Mcsnacks
Could you post a link to that story please?
I'll try to find it. But here's the research on it.

Russellmark11

Mcsnacks

Quantum Biology would prove intelligent design. It would provide a "deterministic codebook” of a map for quantum causes to physiological outcomes. This would also make us into eternal beings since we would be able to alter or "tweak" our biological processes.

What people who dismiss evolutionary theory do not understand is the concept of deep time.

Given enough time anything is possible. I'm currently reading 'The Rise And Fall Of The Third Chimpanzee' which makes some interesting points about human evolution. For millions of years we stagnated culturally and then some tiny genetic anomally happened and we had muscles and nerves and a palate that allowed for speech. And then we really took off.

The hard thing to understand about the theory of evolution is deep time. We only really think of time in terms of one lifetime.

Maybe 100 years.

We can just about get our head around the Roman or Egyptian times (5000 years max).

It's when we are faced with 5 million years or 5 billion years that our idea of time gets confussed.

It's like Einstein's stuff. We are used to time at below light speed where physics is Newtonian. Get to light speed and weird stuff happens.

So given enough time tiny changes begin to have big spin off effects that mimic intelligent design.
It wouldn't be that given enough time tiny changes begin to make the changes. Instead it would be that matter and energy contained in infinite time would make them finite. So matter and energy would interact and change forms making every design possible and then start back over doing it. This is found in eternal recurrence theory. That there is no intelligent design just energy and matter existing like a unsolved puzzle moving about trying ever possible way to fit together until they find one that works and then break apart and start over

Last edited:

slickrick27

Well Known Member

Maybe 100 years.

That was well said. It's so hard for us to understand and measure things in millions. There will never really be any definitive proof or evidence of evolution, for these 2 reasons exactly, 1. The big bang theory is not testable, observable or repeatable. And 2 no one witnessed the big bang and was able to record it into history.
And further still, if we evolved from primates, and all other animals evolved from other animals we'd see transitional stages of this. All we have is the "beginning stage" which is the ape, and the "end stage" which is us now. Where's all the half breeds and animals that are transitioning now? We don't see half chicken half goat, or half fish and half bird, we don't even see that in the fossil records.

Grand Mal Caesar

1984+Idiocracy=Reality
Those are signs of micro evolution, that we know are real. Macro evolution is species changing into entirely different species and there is no verifiable evidence to prove it. We would see transitional species, the fossil records would prove it, and the apes that we "evolved" from what have all evolved. Macro evolution is definitely not easily proven.
Macro evolution is incremental stages of micro evolution over the course of time.

If you believe evolution suggests that man evolved from apes, then you have never actually studied evolution. You're just repeating ignorant ideas you heard from ignorant people.

Current thought is that man and ape share a common ancestor, not that man evolved from apes.

slickrick27

Well Known Member
Macro evolution is incremental stages of micro evolution over the course of time.

If you believe evolution suggests that man evolved from apes, then you have never actually studied evolution. You're just repeating ignorant ideas you heard from ignorant people.

Current thought is that man and ape share a common ancestor, not that man evolved from apes.
Macro and micro evolution are completely different from what I've read and understand. And I guess I haven't kept up with the latest news. I'll check that out. Appreciate that.

Russellmark11

Mcsnacks

yea it wouldnt be like there being something that was half ape and half man who gave birth to a man and an ape. Which is why there are still apes who are becoming more ape like not more man like.
We are the only Type of Great apes that have a single species. This is because during evolution there are continuities and discontinuities. The Discontinuities are the important ones.

slickrick27

Well Known Member
yea it wouldnt be like there being something that was half ape and half man who gave birth to a man and an ape. Which is why there are still apes who are becoming more ape like not more man like.
We are the only Type of Great apes that have a single species. This is because during evolution there are continuities and discontinuities. The Discontinuities are the important ones.
Yea that kind of stuff is pretty interesting to read about. But I like to thing of my ancestors as intelligent warriors who survived without technology for thousands of years and not that my great great grandfather was a monkey. I think it's kinda insulting to tell somebody that their great grandparents were Chimpanzees lol. You know what I mean though? Just think about it for a second.

Yea that kind of stuff is pretty interesting to read about. But I like to thing of my ancestors as intelligent warriors who survived without technology for thousands of years and not that my great great grandfather was a monkey. I think it's kinda insulting to tell somebody that their great grandparents were Chimpanzees lol. You know what I mean though? Just think about it for a second.
*think

Russellmark11

Mcsnacks

*think
Our ancestors would have just been more along the lines of beasts covered in hair who some scientists believe at one time had a horn on their head which is why babies are born with a soft spot. Once they started building shelters the hair went away. As they built more and more things it made it so the thumbs became a necessary appendage. You could even consider this as evolution; If you have never worked with your hands and then start using a shovel everyday what happens? You get blisters. So what does the body do? Starts producing more skin cells for the hands in order to protect them from the injury so that the body want be in constant pain and stressed. Your hands have now evolved into something necessary to help you survive in your environment.

Grand Mal Caesar

1984+Idiocracy=Reality

*think
You have to be awfully sensitive to feel insulted by nature.

Grand Mal Caesar

1984+Idiocracy=Reality
Macro and micro evolution are completely different from what I've read and understand. And I guess I haven't kept up with the latest news. I'll check that out. Appreciate that.
After rereading that, I should have said generations rather than time. All the small mutations add up over generations.

Idk. I don't generally refer to my ancestors as Chimpanzees.
Who does?

Back