William Morva (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

RexServantGirlAnnihilator

Serial Killer in Training
Not a serial killer, but went on a two day rampage in my area killing two cops. He's now on death row.

William Charles Morva (born c. 1982) was a fugitive featured on America's Most Wanted who was responsible for the two shooting deaths of Sheriff's Deputy Cpl. Eric Sutphin and hospital security guard Derrick McFarland, in the town of Blacksburg, Virginia, United States, near the university campus of Virginia Tech, while escaping trial for attempted armed robbery. He was sentenced to death on May 23, 2008. Judge Ray Grubbs set the execution date for October 21, 2008, with an automatic appeal. On June 4, 2009, an appeal for William Morva was made to the Virginia Supreme Court. The capital murder conviction and death sentence were confirmed on September 18, 2009.

Background

William Morva lived in the Midlothian, Virginia area until his father, Charles Morva, retired and moved the family to Blacksburg. Charles worked as a substitute teacher at Blacksburg High School and barista at a local coffee shop until moving back to the Richmond area with his wife, Elizabeth. Charles Morva died in April 2004. Acquaintances say that they saw a decline in William Morva's behavior after the death of his father.[1][2]

Police at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, VA responding to a report of William Charles Morva being seen in the area.
Morva had been a drifter without a permanent fixed address prior to his initial arrest in 2005. A self-professed survivalist, he was almost always without shoes, and spoke of spending nights in the woods around Blacksburg.[3]
Escape and capture

While in jail awaiting trial for attempted armed robbery, and facing a maximum 38 years sentence, Morva was taken to Montgomery Regional Hospital on August 20, 2006 for a sprained ankle and wrist. After using a hospital bathroom, he assaulted and knocked deputy Russell Quesenberry[4] unconscious using a metal toilet-paper container. He seized the deputy's gun and shot Derrick McFarland, a hospital security guard who was running to the deputy's aid. McFarland died from his wounds.[5][6]
This initiated a manhunt for Morva, who on the morning of August 21, 2006 shot and killed a Montgomery County sheriff's deputy, Cpl. Eric Sutphin, on the Huckleberry Trail near the Virginia Tech Campus. Sutphin, born 1966, had been an officer for a total of 13 years and had survived a prior shooting in May 2003, which killed officer Scott Hylton, leading Sutphin to quit the police force; he returned, however, after just six months away despite making much more money as a modular home salesman. He was survived by his wife, Tamara, and his nine-year-old twin daughters.[citation needed]
Police evacuated and searched Squires Student Center on the campus after someone fitting Morva's description was seen inside. However, this sighting turned out to be unfounded. Virginia Tech canceled classes and closed campus.[7] At 3:36 p.m. EDT August 21, 2006, Montgomery County police reported over the police scanner that Morva was captured and taken into custody. He was found hiding in a briar patch about 150 yards from where Sutphin was fatally shot.
Aftermath and related incidents

Morva's brother, Michael Akos Morva, has been charged with conspiring to escape. The alleged conspiracy occurred in January 2006, when both brothers were in jail on charges related to attempted thefts. Michael has denied any connection with Morva's August 2006 escape from police custody.[8][9][10]
On August 29, 2006, Commonwealth's Attorney Brad Finch announced that Morva would be charged with capital murder and use of a firearm in the shooting death of McFarland. A second capital murder charge would be sought in the shooting death of Sutphin, to be decided on at the grand jury meeting on October 10, 2006. Finch also stated that he would seek the death penalty for Morva.[8][11]
Morva’s defense attorney requested a change of the trial location for Morva’s original robbery charges. The cases include the failed armed robbery of the Blacksburg Deli Mart and attempted burglaries of Blacksburg’s Freedom First Credit Union, Food Time and Burger King. The trial was to be held at Montgomery County Circuit Court, but Morva’s attorneys argued it would be impossible to find an impartial jury in Montgomery County due to the publicity Morva received since his escape and the subsequent murders. Morva’s attorney is quoted as saying, “I don’t think there (have) been this many cases that have gotten nearly as much attention.”[12]
Morva's trial hearings began September 17, 2007, in Montgomery County for two counts of capital murder, and one count of attempting to commit murder with a firearm. On September 20, Judge Ray Grubbs ruled, following a jury selection process in which 45 prospective jurors were dismissed for cause, that the trial could not be held in Montgomery County.[13] On March 13, 2008 Morva was sentenced to death in an Abingdon, VA court.[14] He has made an appeal on June, 2009 to the Supreme Court of Virginia.[15] On September 18, 2009, the Supreme Court of Virginia affirmed Morva's convictions and death sentences in a 5-2 decision.[16] The Virginia Supreme Court rejected the defense's claim that he should have been allowed to present an expert's testimony on whether he would endanger guards or fellow inmates if the jury sentenced him to life in prison without parole.[17][18]
On July 24, he was called to appear in Christiansburg by videoconferencing, to testify for the defense in a trial for his brother, Michael Morva, who is charged with helping him escape from the Montgomery County Jail nearly three years ago.[19] This trial was delayed, and William Morva is expected to testify in a later trial.[20]
In October 2010, the U.S. Supreme Court denied Morva's appeal

Attachments

• 169px-Morva.jpg
    169px-Morva.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 145
  • MG_Morva_guilty_d.jpg
    MG_Morva_guilty_d.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 141
  • morva062308.jpg
    morva062308.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 147
  • virginias-death-row.jpg
    virginias-death-row.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 144
  • virginias-death-row-william-morva.jpg
    virginias-death-row-william-morva.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 136
  • virginias-death-row-william-morva2.jpg
    virginias-death-row-william-morva2.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 138
  • william_charles_morva_three_mugshots.jpg
    william_charles_morva_three_mugshots.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 138

creepod

(͡• ͜ʖ ͡•)
Im sure if you put him in the enviroment with us again he'd be chill, even though a friend of mine saw him in jail before they took him to greenville, and they said he has lost his mind now.
guy was nuts from the start. didnt even know the cops and he killed them, don't see why you think he cant do the same thing to you. serial killers dont make "friends" they want people to die.

guy was nuts from the start. didnt even know the cops and he killed them, don't see why you think he cant do the same thing to you. serial killers dont make "friends" they want people to die.
I agree, Serial Killers only want to kill, but I honestly believe he didnt want to go to jail, he just chose a bad way not to go, but ended up going in the end.. I know I posted him in the serial killer section even though he isnt a true serial killer, just wanted to post a local legend on here, and his case is pretty intresting. I'll also be posting another person who isnt a serial killer, but mass murderer.

creepod

(͡• ͜ʖ ͡•)
I agree, Serial Killers only want to kill, but I honestly believe he didnt want to go to jail, he just chose a bad way not to go, but ended up going in the end.. I know I posted him in the serial killer section even though he isnt a true serial killer, just wanted to post a local legend on here, and his case is pretty intresting. I'll also be posting another person who isnt a serial killer, but mass murderer.

ofc he didnt want to go, but he couldnt control himself and thats what separates him from other normal folk, if you commit a crime you gotta take in account whats gonna happen to you next and if you cant think rationally then you need to be locked away..

Well he def is getting more now than he would have for his other charges, theyre putting him to death. I want to write to him but I live in the same state and since he killed cops im sure they'd be like "This persons a threat to society" hahaha

creepod

(͡• ͜ʖ ͡•)
Well he def is getting more now than he would have for his other charges, theyre putting him to death. I want to write to him but I live in the same state and since he killed cops im sure they'd be like "This persons a threat to society" hahaha
you know smartest thing the us ever did was accept death row. we've got so much scum in these parts and it makes me sick to know we still keep them alive after what they did. btw might want to hurry up on that decision since he isnt going to be around for long:lulz:

you know smartest thing the us ever did was accept death row. we've got so much scum in these parts and it makes me sick to know we still keep them alive after what they did. btw might want to hurry up on that decision since he isnt going to be around for long:lulz:
Well, Virginia follows through pretty good with death row, florida usualy does, But California shouldnt even have death row, nobody gets executed. Some people sit there 30 years or more.

Airbornemama

Something Ironic...
This user was banned
Serial killer has a pattern between murders.
Mass murderer kills a bunch at once.
Why Thank you Decent!! I will keep my eyes open for the differences, I live in a pretty suspect area, and Washington state breed's ALL kind's of killer's!!:p

Decent60

Patient goes beep beep beeeeeeeeeep
Just make sure you get pics if you find stuff! We all share, just my state sucks, only cornfields and not serial killers haha

And a Serial Killer has some type of "cooling off period" and Decent60, what state are you in? just to show you im not being weird, I live in Blacksburg, VA

I'm down in central Illinois. Not too many serial killers now, used to be a few good ones.
yeaa, there used to be a few great ones. now not so many. and VA shit, we don't have that many either. Cali is where theyre all at!! haha, me and you need to get a cheap place in Cali and live!! we can go visit some each week!

Back