WW1: Trenches, Death, Mayhem (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
DeathHand, set 82 photo 2, is that WW1? That truck chassis looks a little more modern, especially the tires and axles. b2ux, you are giving us southerners a bad rep. Go read some history from books, not just fact blurbs gleaned from google searches. Then, you will realize how utterly asinine this statement is.
Yep, that photo is WW1 but may have been in the latter stages of the war (mid-late 1918) - I'm not sure of the date.

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Just goes to show you how the war numbed the soldiers.

Unlike wars that came later (WW2, Korea, Vietnam, etc.) I'm don't think that these boys had a clue about what they were getting into as far as the carnage and horror mostly because there was no preceding footage of a war before WW1 that any of them would have had access to. It wasn't the adventure that they thought it would be and ya, can really see how the death numbed these guys.

DeadSynthonies

Be Happy
This user was banned
though those foxholes would be preferable to being in the open, as you dug im sure you couldn't help feeling as if you may as well put a tombstone there

lodderz

NewbieX
well im a ww1 ww2 buff and I have not seen these photos before. very impressed well done
im off to the battle grounds to pay my respects to all the fallen this august.

StrangeGuY

NewbieX
Set 13.

49. Dead French soldier half buried in the dirt after artillery strike.
View attachment 62440

Really amazing thread DeathHand, i'm really glad to find your work again on internet.

My great grandfather (Emile) was in the French infantry, he fought in Verdun at the age of 18. During the fighting, he was buried alive twice by artillery fire and saved twice by his comrades. He then lost one of his lungs after a gas attack ... (he smoked all his life and died at 74).
Before the war he wanted to become a priest and never have a child ... after he no longer believed in God, he got married and my grandfather was born in 1927... without this bloody war I will not exist, the chance of life...

McM

ARSELING
Having a dump during the march. Only allowed collectively and by command. Austrian troops.

Latrine_Humor_02.jpg

McM

ARSELING
There are so many photos online but mostly in small size/poor quality and is a lot of research to find an adequate caption what's going on or depicted. And some collectors have more or less ugly 'stamps' in the center of the photos on their online previews because they want to sell the originals.
This collector did a good job. (But has not many gorey pictures).

German infantry in a stable in France near Verdun.

46097045125_c1b34f1c29_k.jpg

Last edited:

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
I still hunt for new photos that weren't around when I started this thread, and also to collect some recent colourized photos of ones that are already here. These are some of them.

Set 84.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Set 86.

11.jpg

2. I think this image is already here...
12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

9. A little more colour would have been nice - but still cool to see this old one coloured a bit.
19.jpg

20.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Some more colourized photos.

Set 87.

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

10. Over 8 million horses, donkeys and mules died during the war.
31.jpg

Back