compilation-dead-German-soldiers-of-World-War-Two-294.jpg

compilation-dead-German-soldiers-of-World-War-Two-295.jpg

compilation-dead-German-soldiers-of-World-War-Two-296.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Dead WW2 German Soldiers

Set 62.

compilation-dead-German-soldiers-of-World-War-Two-312.jpg

2. Dead German paratrooper in a corn field.
compilation-dead-German-soldiers-of-World-War-Two-313.jpg

compilation-dead-German-soldiers-of-World-War-Two-314.jpg

4. Fuller version of one posted earlier. Not sure the US soldiers on the left feel the same way as the two on the right.
compilation-dead-German-soldiers-of-World-War-Two-315.jpg

compilation-dead-German-soldiers-of-World-War-Two-316.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Dead WW2 German Soldiers

Set 63.

compilation-dead-German-soldiers-of-World-War-Two-317.jpg

compilation-dead-German-soldiers-of-World-War-Two-318.jpg

3. Fuller version of an earlier cropped version.
compilation-dead-German-soldiers-of-World-War-Two-319.jpg

4. Gotta make sure he's dead.
compilation-dead-German-soldiers-of-World-War-Two-320.jpg

compilation-dead-German-soldiers-of-World-War-Two-321.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
And that wraps up the photos that I have of dead German soldiers from WW2 although I'm sure there are still lots more out there.

When it comes to war it doesn't matter who you are, what country you fight for, how well trained and equipped you are - war doesn't pick and choose who dies since a soldier just has to be at the right place at the wrong time.

A famous quote from US General Patton: "Don't die for your country. Make the other poor bastard die for his."

Dead WW2 German Soldiers

Set 64.

compilation-dead-German-soldiers-of-World-War-Two-322.jpg

compilation-dead-German-soldiers-of-World-War-Two-323.jpg

compilation-dead-German-soldiers-of-World-War-Two-324.jpg

compilation-dead-German-soldiers-of-World-War-Two-325.jpg

5. This one's hard to make out
compilation-dead-German-soldiers-of-World-War-Two-326.jpg

compilation-dead-German-soldiers-of-World-War-Two-327.jpg

DONE
:death:

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Member of the Reichsarbeitsdienst, who had to fight in the end stage of the war, too. Batallion 185, Brandenburger Tor, Berlin 1945.
compilation-dead-german-soldiers-of-world-war-two-23-jpg.233635

Probably the same guy in another scene in Berlin. The Soviets simply loved to photoshop before it was cool...I have no clue which one is original.
compilation-dead-german-soldiers-of-world-war-two-37-jpg.233650
regulator, good pointing these 2 images out - not many spot these two :).

And yes they are both of the same dead German but taken from different angles.

Pic 1 was taken as Russian troops moved in and probably still engaged in combat, running past the dead German soldier.

Pic 2 is post-combat, but this time the photo is taken from a position that aims back towards where the Russians in Pic 1 came in from. The German is still in the same position but his helmet is now flipped over.

I could be wrong, but I think this is how these 2 pictures went down. What ya think?

Pic 1.
same-dead-soldier-1.jpg

Pic 2.
same-dead-soldier-2.jpg

McM

ARSELING
Pic 2 looks like an edited photo. But, it's just my impression.
The horizontal part is partly a bit weird/blurry. Reminds me at a photo made for a book cover.

Screenshot_17.jpg

Anyway, very good thread. Thanks for your effort!

edit. I had not read regulators comment til now

regulator

Lurker
regulator, good pointing these 2 images out - not many spot these two :).

And yes they are both of the same dead German but taken from different angles.

Pic 1 was taken as Russian troops moved in and probably still engaged in combat, running past the dead German soldier.

Pic 2 is post-combat, but this time the photo is taken from a position that aims back towards where the Russians in Pic 1 came in from. The German is still in the same position but his helmet is now flipped over.

I could be wrong, but I think this is how these 2 pictures went down. What ya think?

Pic 1.
View attachment 234929

Pic 2.
View attachment 234930

I don't think that the pics a just taken from different angles.
The viewpoint change is minimal, but on the first pic the soldier lays in a regular residental area, and on the other one in front of the Brandenburger Tor in the center of Berlin. He also seems to lay on the first pic on the curbstone and on the second one on flat ground.

McM

ARSELING

Good photo. It's the known German half-track Skfz. 251 in the anti-aircraft variant 21. It had an open, body-powered turret, equipped with a triple 20mm machinegun. Mod 151/20, normally built into Bf-109 aircrafts. They produced over 300 units.

I've not seen many clear pictures of this vehicle.

Last edited:

deviant2

hell is other people
Photos documenting the death in this war I've always found to be quite moving. They are powerful and hauntingly beautiful. The sense of loss is tremendous in each picture. Anyone feel like the men in the snowy pictures felt some kind of peace or calmness at the end, if for just a breath? The men behind the cameras had a rare talent and strength to get these pics. Wrote a novel there didn't I... My fav thread thus far. Thx

Reactions: McM

StrangeGuY

NewbieX
Amazing thread DeathHand, impressive finds and pictures, i really appraciate your work since many years, thx mate.

Here is some backgrounds on a dead corpse you've posted in your great thread (i've read a book few month ago about it, Le Chaudron de Tcherkassy-Korsun" write by Jean Lopez).

The dead german General was Wilhelm Stemmermann a « General der Artillerie », General of the 296. Infanterie-Division XI. Armeekorps. He was in the army since 1908 and fought in World War I. During World War Two he participates in the military campains of Poland, France, Operation Barbarossa in Russia, Offensive Dniper Carpathe and Tcherkassy battle where he died in the middle of his troops.

View attachment 354212

On 18 January 1944 on the East Front, during the retreat of german troops, 60000 men were surrounded (including the 5th Panzerdivision SS Wiking and the SS Sturmbrigade Wallonia) by the Red Army in the kessel of Korsun-Cherkassy (middle of Ukraine).
These encircled forces are under the command of General Wilhelm Stemmermann and called "Gruppe Stemmerman". The Wiking division has 43 Panzer III / IV tanks and assault guns: these armored elements are supplemented by 27 assault guns provided by two battalions of this type of weapon... they loose all their panzers and vehicles...

After 1 month of bloody and desperate fighting on February 16, without waiting for Hitler's orders, Marshal Von Manstein sends a message to Stemmermann to allow him to try the breakthrough. The message simply says: "Freedom password, Lysyanka goal, 2300 hours".

The Gruppe Stemmermann, including the SS Wiking division, decides to split into two columns. The non-transportable wounded are abandoned with few doctors (they will be killed later by russian soldiers). At 2300 hours, the units march silently towards Lyssianka, about 7 km southwest of Chanderovska, the contact with the first Soviet line takes place half an hour later...

A terrible fight begins, it was a blood bath for the germans but since the German bridgehead a light unit, the Kampfgruppe Bäke, infiltrates the meeting of fleeing units to open the passage. General Stemmermann was killed by a shrapnel in the rear guard to cover the retreat, he will be buried by the Soviets as you can see on one picture.

Around 40000 Germans will be killed or taken prisoner during this month-long battle, they lost all their equipment and their General Wilhelm Stemmermann...

compilation-dead-German-soldiers-of-World-War-Two-222.jpg

compilation-dead-German-soldiers-of-World-War-Two-223.jpg

Attachments

• General Stemmermann.jpg
    General Stemmermann.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 92

StrangeGuY

NewbieX
Here are some pictures of the February 1944 breakthrough of the Korsun-Tcherkassy battle... looks like hell...

Korsun 1.png

Korsun 2.png

Korsun 1944 2.jpg

Korsun 4.jpg

Attachments

• Korsun 1944.jpg
    Korsun 1944.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 82
Back