6 children die in house fire in Derby. parents sentenced (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

blacklotus

the mind is like a parachute, works best when open
Mick and Mairead Philpott convicted of killing six children in twisted plot that went wrong

Friend Paul Mosley also found guilty of manslaughter as the trio are branded 'evil, stupid and shameful.
Derby-house-fire-Mick-Phi-010.jpg

Mick Philpott and wife Mairead broke down in front of the media after setting a fire at their home which claimed the lives of six of their children. Photograph: Rui Vieira/PA
A man with a history of violence and controlling younger women was convicted on Tuesday of killing six children in an "evil, stupid, shameful act" as part of a twisted attempt to frame a former lover who had dared to defy him.
Mick Philpott, 56, his wife Mairead, 31, and a friend involved in the plot, Paul Mosley, 46, were all convicted of manslaughter after setting ablaze their Derby home, meaning to blame the inferno on Philpott's former lover, who left him.
Instead, the fierce heat and smoke engulfed the home, leading to the deaths of six children aged five to 13 years, including five of Philpott's 17 children and a son of Mairead from a previous relationship.
The jury was not told Philpott had a previous conviction in 1978 for attempting to murder a woman who wanted to leave him, whom he stabbed a dozen times.
Such was Philpott's hold on women that after the fire that killed his children he got his wife to perform a sex act on the third co-conspirator, Mosley, which the crown said was carried out to keep him on side as part of the plot. Philpott had children with five partners, claiming welfare benefits for himself and forcing women in his life to hand over money to him.
He also exploited public sympathy after the fire to try to benefit from money donated for the funerals of the children, Jayden, five, Jade, 10, John, nine, Jack, eight, Jesse, six, and 13-year-old Duwayne.
On the night of the fire, neighbours tried to rescue the children from the burning house, but were beaten back by the smoke and flames. When the bodies of the children were carried out of the house by police, Philpott ran forward and had to be restrained.
Assistant Chief Constable Steve Cotterill, of Derbyshire police, said: "This was an evil, stupid, shameful act which has resulted in the deaths of five of his own children. Personally I've found it very upsetting. I've become extremely angry at the needless loss of life.
"Six little kids there that have not got the chance to grow up. Five vacant chairs on the Monday morning at that primary school must have been horrendous not only for the teaching staff but for all the other little kids there as well."
In a highly unusual move, the families of the Philpotts said they were happy with the guilty verdicts that left Mick and Mairead Philpott facing lengthy jail terms when they are sentencedon Wednesday .
Philpott's sister, Dawn Bestwick, said: "My family and I have attended court each and every day and listened objectively to all the evidence in this trial to understand what happened to our six beautiful children on 11 May 2012. Our presence in court was to find out the truth. Following today's verdict we, the family of Michael Philpott, believe justice has been served."
Mairead Philpott's family, the Duffy family, said in a statement: "[The children] were taken away in the cruellest way imaginable by the very people who were supposed to love and protect them … justice has been served and we are happy with the verdict."
As the jury delivered its verdicts in respect of Philpott, he stood in the dock staring straight ahead with his hands clasped in front of him. He shook his head when guilty verdicts were read out for his wife. She looked down at the floor and fought back tears while clutching a tissue in both her hands.
The court did not hear that, 35 years ago, Philpott crept into the home of Kim Hill after she wrote him a letter ending their relationship. Hill, who was 17 at the time, was in bed when he attacked her, knifing her more than a dozen times, before turning on her mother, Shirley, a nurse.
Philpott, aged 21 at the time of the attack, was convicted of the attempted murder of Hill and of grievous bodily harm to her mother in December 1978. He was sentenced to seven years, with the judge warning that he was a dangerous man.
But the flaws that made Philpott a larger-than-life character in his local area would also lead to his downfall. Days after the children's deaths, Philpott gave a tearful press conference where he acted like an "excited child" rather than a grief-stricken parent, raising police suspicions.
In the aftermath of the fire on 11 May last year, detectives put the Philpotts and Mosley up in a hotel room that was bugged. The trio were overheard checking their stories with each other.
The crown alleged the fire was started with Philpott as the prime organiser in a plan to frame his former lover, Lisa Willis, who had walked out with their four children three months earlier.
Philpott had lived in the property with Willis and Mairead, who was the mother of the six children who were killed. He had sexual relationships with both women, alternating between the two. But Willis – who said she was kept a virtual prisoner by Philpott – walked out on him, taking her five children with her, in February last year. She had one child from a previous relationship.
The fire at the council house in Victory Road took place hours before Philpott was due to face Willis in court for a custody hearing. The jury heard how Philpott had spread rumours after Willis left that she wanted to firebomb the house, all part of his attempt to frame her for the fire.
The plan was for Philpott to rescue his children and for Willis to be prosecuted for arson, the court heard. But it went horribly wrong when the blaze took hold fast. The adults escaped the house, but the six children died as they slept.
Cotterill said Philpott's behaviour at a press conference that he had chosen to give days after the fire had increased police suspicions. "After 30 years of doing what I do, I have never seen anybody having suffered that magnitude of loss deal with it in the manner in which he dealt with it," Cotterill said. "I would have expected him to be completely and utterly destroyed and, if push came to shove, not able to present himself at the press conference.
"He entered the room in quite a jovial manner as though it was a bit like an excited child, really inappropriate in my view He was the father of five children, in essence six children, who had died in his house. I didn't see it as anything to be excited about. If anything, he should be rather fearful of the experience and wary of it. I didn't see a great deal of emotion and upset."
Derby city council said a serious case review was being held into social services' engagement with the family. From 2000–2012, there was no social services involvement with the family.
Philpott also abused the goodwill of the community in Allenton, who raised more than £15,000 to pay for funerals for all six children. He demanded that any money left over should be given to his family in Argos vouchers. He also demanded that hundreds of teddy bears left outside the burnt-out house should be auctioned off and the money given to him. He told one organiser: "Shut up and just get on with it."
Mick Philpott has been sentenced to life in prison for the manslaughter of his six children in a house fire in Derby. His wife Mairead Philpott and family friend Paul Mosley were both sentenced to 17 years in jail.
derbychildren1.jpg

blacklotus

In a letter written from prison where he was on remand, he boasted: ‘God, when we are free, which we will be, we’re all going to get p*****.
‘But me and my darling beloved wife, the most important thing that we will do when this happens is to spend the whole day with our babies, at the graveside.

article-2303407-190FC298000005DC-196_634x355.jpg

Depraved: This Morning presenter Phillip Schofield holds a letter which Mick Philpott sent to friends while he was in custody awaiting trial for killing six of his children in a house fire

article-2303407-190FB655000005DC-984_634x358.jpg

Sickening: This passage in the letter tells how Philpott and his wife planned to celebrate their freedom by 'raping each other' after visiting their children's graves
VIDEO Phillip Schofield reads segment of note on ITV (NOTE Adult content)

Phillip Schofield reads harrowing Philpott 'rape letter' on This...
video-undefined-190FAE3B000005DC-135_290x163.jpg

article-2303407-190CF444000005DC-554_634x423.jpg

Lack of remorse: Six wooden crosses mark the graves of the Philpott children which Philpott intended to visit after his release from prison, but not before getting drunk first
‘We don’t care if it’s raining, gale force winds, snowing. I’m going straight up there.
‘Then we shall probably – no, we will – rape each other. Then we can all celebrate our freedom.’
Superimposed on the words were eight pink hearts, one each for him and his wife and six for the children they killed.
The letter was sent to Mick and Sharon Russell, close friends for 20 years. The couple said they were disgusted.
‘That’s his attitude, he’s highly sex driven,’ Mr Russell said. ‘I wouldn’t leave Sharon with him on his own.’
Philpott showed little genuine emotion following the fire. He ‘loved’ being a local celebrity and was seen ‘touching up’ his wife in the hospital where her son Duwayne was dying after the fire, the former friend added.
article-2303407-190F763E000005DC-579_634x453.jpg

Appalled: Mick Philpott's long-term friends Mick and Sharon Russell appear on This Morning with former MP Ann Widdecombe to discuss their relationship with the house-blaze killer

article-2303407-190FB662000005DC-124_634x355.jpg

More interested in celebrating than grieving: Mr Schofield reads a passage from the letter, which also told how Philpott intended to get very drunk as soon as he left prison

article-2303407-190CB76E000005DC-835_634x402.jpg

Twisted couple: Mick Philpott with his wife Mairead, who friends say did not appear remorseful after the deaths of six of their children

article-2303407-190FBBEF000005DC-934_634x435.jpg

Facing jail: Mick and Mairead Philpott in court for the mitigation hearing ahead of their sentencing tomorrow

article-2303698-1912CE5A000005DC-206_634x264.jpg

Mrs Russell said Mairead had planned a new outfit for her children’s funeral, which she and her husband were later banned from attending.
‘I was quite shocked at it and said, “You can’t wear that.” She said, “Will it be all right for the after party?” It was disgusting the way they were behaving.’
Another friend, who asked not to be named, said Mairead got drunk on alcopops at a neighbour’s barbecue in the days after the fire, and showed off an £80 pair of pink trainers she had bought with money donated by sympathetic members of the public.

Airbornemama

Something Ironic...
This user was banned
Such sick twisted fucking people! Too set your home on fire knowing FULL well there are 6 sleeping children inside is just beyond unreal. How in the Hell did he really think he was going to be able to rescue them himself!?! All 3 deserve to die the same way that the children died.

blacklotus

i remember when the fire happened, my neighbour had not long moved back there as its her home town and was rallying round the parents. her daughter was friends with the eldest child. it makes me sick to my stomach knowing it was their own parents that did this to them. how on earth could anyone put their babies in so much danger :( :rage:

Geemonster

What an arsehole
Short Bussed
I watched the panorama on this the two days before they were sentenced,life for him...he'll be 45'ed off for his own sorry arse.
She got 17 years she'll be in trouble too.
Some people Should NOT breed.

Temp ratt

Lurker
Stupid fucking idiots deliberately and intentionally set fire to this knowing damn good and well there were those kids in there!?!?!?!!?!
17 years? Unfucking believable. This was premeditated; why not the death penalty?

They need their fucking asses cooked like they did those kids.

Pixiedust

Serial Killer has been made.....
Sic fucks......no dont kill them.....hang the childrens pictures in their cells......then play a recording of their little voices over and over...24/7. No sleep, no break from it.....then let the inmates finish their sorry asses pay for what they did.....I hate their motherfucking asses..... :rage: :wtf::shit:

Back