Aukus: UK, US and Australia launch pact to counter China (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Dante1984

...in the corner eating bugs...
This user was banned
The UK, US and Australia have announced a historic security pact in the Asia-Pacific, in what's seen as an effort to counter China.
It will let Australia build nuclear-powered submarines for the first time, using technology provided by the US.
The Aukus pact, which will also cover AI and other technologies, is one of the countries' biggest defence partnerships in decades, analysts say.
China has condemned the agreement as "extremely irresponsible".

Foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said it "seriously undermines regional peace and stability and intensifies the arms race".
China's embassy in Washington accused the countries of a "Cold War mentality and ideological prejudice".

The pact also created a row with France, which has now lost a deal with Australia to build 12 submarines.
"It's really a stab in the back," France's Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian told France Info radio.

The new partnership was announced in a joint virtual press conference between US President Joe Biden, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson and his Australian counterpart that guy from down under on Wednesday.

download (2).jpg

ce484caaa4a0dd452cf36055b45feeb0.jpg

And while China was not mentioned directly, the three leaders referred repeatedly to regional security concerns which they said had "grown significantly".

So China is unhappy now and have stated “Among all of the US allies, the decision Australia made to acquire submarine technology from the US is the clearest indication of Canberra’s support for Washington’s idea of an international system to contain China’s economic rise,” the editorial states.

“As an independent nation to become a pawn of the US, the stakes are just too high for Canberra. Australia could face the most dangerous consequence of being cannon fodder in the event of a military showdown in the region.

“What’s even more ridiculous is that Australia also needs to foot the bill for playing the role of cannon fodder, and trashing its relationship with France, whose leaders must be annoyed to suddenly learn that its $90 billion submarine contract with Australia may be cancelled.”

1600753272-5f698e783a6ce.jpg

How is Biden the fktard..:facepalm:

ZeroK

SCIENCE AVENGER
@wiggins told me about this earlier and I was surprised to find out that Australia only had Collins class diesel-electric subs. I assumed all 1st world countries had nuclear subs.

wiggins

Forum Veteran
@wiggins told me about this earlier and I was surprised to find out that Australia only had Collins class diesel-electric subs. I assumed all 1st world countries had nuclear subs.
Much to my embarrassment Australia only has diesels.
Whilst the British, French, Indian, Chinese, Russian and US navys have nuclear submarines we make do with submesible diesels.
its a travesty really.

There is a popular anti nuclear sentiment in Australia which is quite naive and unrealistic. The conservationists push solar, wind, wave power indeed anything except coal.

We have enough brown coal for 900 years yet are not using much of it ourselves, rather exporting it to China.

Mention Nuclear power and the Green's and conservationists go nuts! Its 'Cherbynols in every back yard'.

We have 40% of known world reserves of uranium. Yet its either kept in the ground or exported.

We are a small population in a country as big as the continental US rich in resources and surrounded by potential enemies who would love to come down south and take it all.

We need nuclear power, a nuclear deterent and nuclear subs.

We are sixty years overdue for them...

whiteboyopie

Forum Veteran
🤨🤨🤨🤨🤨🤨🤨🤨🤨
I believe China is well prepared for anything that gets thrown at them.
And I doubt the impending show down with China is going to wait until the Aussies build a few submarines .
It's going to occur within the next 2-3 years . And it will be over Hong Cong.
Even though Hong Cong is legally & morally Chinas .
I hope I am wrong .

mrln

silent ghost
goes to show you australia isnt a first world country after all! lol just kidding my aussie mates. just kidding.... :rose:

Back