Different story with a video, aussie shark thinking about a snack. (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

msr

AHHHHH FUCK
A shark swims close to World championship tour surfer Matt Wilkinson World at Sharpes Beach, New South Wales, Australia, October 7, 2020 .JPG

A shark swims close to World championship tour surfer Matt Wilkinson World at Sharpes Beach, New South Wales, Australia, on October 7, 2020. Surf Life Saving NSW/via REUTERS
  • Australian world championship surfer Matt Wilkinson came within inches of a five-foot-long shark while paddling in from a surf at Sharpes Beach off the coast of Ballina, just north of Sydney.
  • Video footage of the incident was recorded by an overhead drone, which was dispatched to warn surfers of dangers in the water in real-time.
  • Drone operator Beau Monks told Surf Life Saving NSW, a community water rescue organization, that the shark "came out of nowhere" and quickly jolted away from Wilkinson.
  • Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.
Drone footage from Australia shows the tense moment a professional surfer paddled within inches of a shark off the east coast of the country.

Australian world championship surfer Matt Wilkinson was paddling in from a surf at Sharpes Beach off the coast of Ballina, just north of Sydney, when he came across a five-foot-long shark on Wednesday, according to a press release from Surf Life Saving NSW, a community water rescue organization that recorded the encounter.

It remains unclear exactly what type of shark it was in the water. Surf Life Saving NSW called it a "white shark," while The Guardian and Reuters said it was a great white shark.

The drone footage, which was being filmed to warn surfers of dangers in the water in real-time, shows the shark swimming close to Wilkinson before quickly darting away.

"I was surfing out the back at Sharpes Beach and just cruising on my own and I heard a splash and a noise and looked around and couldn't see anything," Wilkinson said in the press release. "Then the drone came down and told me that there was a dangerous shark in the area, return to the beach. I got to the shore feeling a bit weird and the lifeguards showed me the footage and I realized how close it came without knowing it was there. It looks like it's going for my leg and it's changed its mind."

Back