Eddie Adams Took These Pictures-1969 And Won The Pulitzer Prize for Spot (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

The_Mortician

Fresh Meat
Eddie Adams Took These Pictures-1969 And Won The Pulitzer Prize for Spot

Adams won the 1969 Pulitzer Prize for Spot News Photography and a World Press Photo award for the photograph (captioned 'General Nguyen Ngoc Loan executing a Viet Cong prisoner in Saigon'), but would later lament its notoriety.

On Nguyen Ngoc Loan and his famous photograph, Adams wrote in Time:

“ The general killed the Viet Cong; I killed the general with my camera. Still photographs are the most powerful weapon in the world. People believe them; but photographs do lie, even without manipulation. They are only half-truths. ... What the photograph didn't say was, 'What would you do if you were the general at that time and place on that hot day, and you caught the so-called bad guy after he blew away one, two or three American people?'

Adams later apologized in person to General Nguyen and his family for the irreparable damage it did to Loan's honor while he was alive. When Nguyen died, Adams praised him as a "hero" of a "just cause".

YouTube - Greg Moulson: Photo journalism - Eddie Adams

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 2,244
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 2,312
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 2,204
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 2,141
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,980

sickfuck

Forum Veteran
nice. i've had this picture on my pc for ages but never really knew about the back story , other than it were a couple od veitnamese...:5stars:

PTSD Is My Life

The internal medal for the wars I still fight
If you have never ridden a bicycle you can seldom explain correctly how it makes you feel or what it makes you want to do (go faster, further, take bigger risks etc)
Likewise unless you have looked at your own dead and/or wounded and then had a hold of those responsible you can never really explain what you will feel or do....it may in fact surprise you as many are not as cold hearted as they think they are....

Certain Death

Do As Thou Wilt
The Viet Cong was captured a few minutes before,he killed an A.R.V.N soldier and his family.The General who killed that V.C was looked up highly by his men,and his troops were compitent unlike most A.R.V.N units.The video version is nice you can see the blood spurting out of that congs head.

b2ux

Banned
This user was banned
A PICTURE SPEAKS A THOUSAND WORDS BUT A VID LOL ......

HATE DOING THIS HOWEVER THE VID AINT WHERE ITS SUPPOSE TO BE...

7-3.jpg

South Vietnamese troops capture a Vietcong fighter in Cholon, the Chinese section of Saigon. Hands tied behind his back, he is pushed and pulled through the street.
1-6.jpg

The soldiers keep the Vietcong moving forward.
2-4.jpg

The Vietcong was known under two names - Van Ken and also Bay Lap.
3-3.jpg

Colonel Nguyễn Ngọc Loan pulls out his pistol and executed the Vietcong on the spot with a single shot to the head.
4-5.jpg

Loan holsters his pistol and walks away.
5-2.jpg

Official photographer looks over the scene after Loan has gone.

i never had a problem with this at the time the asshole supposably got americans killed by leaking info to the vc or chinese regulars as it were......

Last edited by a moderator:

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
A PICTURE SPEAKS A THOUSAND WORDS BUT A VID LOL ......

HATE DOING THIS HOWEVER THE VID AINT WHERE ITS SUPPOSE TO BE...

7-3.jpg

South Vietnamese troops capture a Vietcong fighter in Cholon, the Chinese section of Saigon. Hands tied behind his back, he is pushed and pulled through the street.

Loan holsters his pistol and walks away.

Official photographer looks over the scene after Loan has gone.

i never had a problem with this at the time the asshole supposably got americans killed by leaking info to the vc or chinese regulars as it were......
I had read a while back that the dude they caught was a VC leader/commander and that a few weeks prior to his capture, several members of General Loans family was killed by that VC's regiment or battalion or what he was in charge of. Thus the quick one-shot-no-questions-nighty-night bullet in the head.

Last edited by a moderator:

b2ux

Banned
This user was banned
when this happened they played the whole thing on national tv ........ uncut........

Certain Death

Do As Thou Wilt
The 2nd picture in b2ux post the A.R.V.N has a UZI,Ive seen tons of Vietnam pictures and that is the 1st UZI I have ever seen in a Vietnam Pic.I seen a shitload of Thompson SMG and B.A.R's and M1 Carbine

b2ux

Banned
This user was banned
YEAH THERE ARENT MANY PICTURES OF UZIS THERE BUT THEY WERE MORE M14'S AND M60 THEN UZIS ....
AND IF YOU LOOK CLOSER YOU WILL NOTICE OUR GUY HOLDING A AK47 .....

CML

NewbieX
The general in the photos moved to the U.S. and ran a pizza place in Burke, VA outside DC. He was regarded as a nice, normal man by the community (I grew up there). However, in 1991 his past came back to haunt him and he was forced to shut down his business. He died of cancer in 1998 in Burke, VA.

DaveC

Lurker
I was in Viet Nam when this happened and watched the video then. The blood shot out of his skull in a huge arc, a good 4-6 feet as he collapsed.

Back