Facebook: Shadow Profiles (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Facebook shadow profiles: you probably have one
and don’t even know it

Sat, 29 Jun, 2013

Last week, Facebook confirmed that it had leaked the private information of six million of its users. You may have thought to yourself, “ha! That’s not me! I don’t give any of my personal information to Facebook!”

Unfortunately, thanks to your friends, it may turn out that your phone number and email address could have ended up in that leak, after all.

Your personal information may be included in something called a ‘Facebook Shadow Profile,’ a term that came up a lot over the last week while people were reporting how a bug had exposed the personal information of millions of users.

The security research company who identified the bug, Packet Storm Security, said that Facebook has been compiling information on many of its users, and even on people who don’t have Facebook accounts, ZDNET reports.

That’s where shadow profiles come in: Facebook’s shadow profiles include information culled from Facebook users' phones when they use the ‘Find Friends’ feature. When a user first installs Facebook on their smartphone, they get a prompt asking if they would like Facebook to scan the phone using the ‘Find Friends’ tool, which will look through all the phone numbers and emails in their phone, and match them to the profiles of existing Facebook users. It’s a handy way to find people who you know on Facebook, but it’s also a way for Facebook to gain access to personally identifying information.

Facebook then takes the information it collects and puts it into a shadow profile. If you opt not to provide the information yourself on the social network, that’s okay: your information is just kept in Facebook’s data centre. This information is used to help other friends make contact matches, and also to help power the ‘People You May Know’ feature on Facebook, which also uses information on how you know people you’re Friends with on your Facebook page.

The bug at the heart of this controversy has been accidentally combining users shadow profiles with their real profiles, so when someone used Facebook’s ‘Download Your Information’ tool, it would include information that some Facebook users had not provided to the social network.

According to Mashable, collecting this information is most likely a legal practice in the United States, as phone number collection of contacts is outlined in the Terms and Conditions a user signs when he signs up for the service. In places like Europe, where the privacy laws are stricter, Facebook’s shadow profiles have been found to violate the Data Protection Act of Ireland, where Facebook’s European headquarters are, seven different cases.

As for who’s information is kept in shadow profiles, that remains somewhat unclear. Facebook has argued in the past that they do not keep the personal information of non-members, however users were still reporting that information of non-users were being included two days after the news of the leak was made public.

And the story’s not over yet: Huffington Post reported on Thursday that users were only told about some of the data that had been disclosed through the leak. When Facebook sent out notifications to users about the information breach, informing users of the bug, they may have listed one or three email addresses, when in actuality it may have been four or seven in some cases.

Source

aRyan

TRUMP or BUST
I get more and more convinced every day that Facebook is just a nice front for massive data and information collecting by (or sold to) various Governments around the world. Zuckerberg himself might work for the MOSSAD, who knows.

Another thing that it seems to be doing is conditioning people to want to let everyone know exactly what they are doing, why they are doing it, what time they are doing it at, and what they are going to be doing next.

It's kind of fucked up when you think about it. Could this conditioning have consequences decades later? Is the 25 year old in year 2030 that has had a Facebook account since he was 10 years old and used it every day going to ask questions or complain about a new law that comes out that says you need to use your smart phone to sign into a Government website and update your log every night, detailing anything out of the ordinary that happened during the day?

Bethy 🔥

Sometimes life aint fair kiddo..
Super Moderator
Thanks Berry MyCockinner atleast my life is funny to someone else besides me:4thelulz:

NightMare

My gift to you, a Nightmare of terror
Thank God i have no Facebook account:stoned: but the fucked up thing is.. Im the only person i know that dont have one:facepalm: i guess i still live in the stone age:foreveralone: aww who cares:shrug:

You're not the only one! I fucking hate Facebook! I have been telling people for a long time now that Facebook sells all your information. Everything you do on Fb is an open book and you have NO privacy and should never expect to have any at any time. I don't have one and never will, I don't even have a Cell Phone! So yeah, I guess there are two of us still living in the stone age! ;)

Bethy 🔥

Super Moderator
You're not the only one! I fucking hate Facebook! I have been telling people for a long time now that Facebook sells all your information. Everything you do on Fb is an open book and you have NO privacy and should never expect to have any at any time. I don't have one and never will, I don't even have a Cell Phone! So yeah, I guess there are two of us still living in the stone age! ;)
Hey NightMare i do have an Iphone but i dont have a computer!.! So i guess we're tit 4 tat in the Fucked Up Department

Barry McCockinner

Forum Veteran
Thanks Berry MyCockinner atleast my life is funny to someone else besides me:4thelulz:
Nothing funny about not using FB. I'd say you're more normal than most people. I don't use it either. I have an account that I made for someone to spy on someone else and then I used it to upload some pics to an ex GF who wasn't able to understand any other method I tried to get the pics to her. She can make a FB account and use it extensively but she couldn't figure out how to get to a site and view some pics I uploaded LOL. Oh, I also used it to "like" a couple things to get online coupons:p

Bethy 🔥

Super Moderator
Nothing funny about not using FB. I'd say you're more normal than most people. I don't use it either. I have an account that I made for someone to spy on someone else and then I used it to upload some pics to an ex GF who wasn't able to understand any other method I tried to get the pics to her. She can make a FB account and use it extensively but she couldn't figure out how to get to a site and view some pics I uploaded LOL. Oh, I also used it to "like" a couple things to get online coupons:p
Thanks 4 sharing.!. I dont feel bad anymore?. Please tell me ur ex was just having a blond moment?:facepalm:

Gorgutz

Post-Mortem
Thank God i have no Facebook account:stoned: but the fucked up thing is.. Im the only person i know that dont have one:facepalm: i guess i still live in the stone age:foreveralone: aww who cares:shrug:
>thinks The Man won't be tracking her ass over the internets simply because of not having a failbook profile

kevin kirk

Forum Veteran
Having a facebook account I know that facebook is a world of teenagers that there biggest problem with the world seems to be if people use you're and your the right way.The baby pictures poster that think if they post there baby doing something cute nobody will notice how its kinda ugly looking and grown ass people that think they can request for a lot of people to talk telepathicly to somebody they think can choose to heal people when there sick .I doubt any information they get about people on facebook would be groundbreaking in anyway

Bethy 🔥

Super Moderator
I deactivated my account a couple of years ago. What's scary is that, if I were to try to log in today, my profile would still exist just as I left it two years ago despite the fact I "deactivated" it.
Wow your info will follower you for another what 10years?.? I thought i was in the stone age cause everyone has fb acct but me?. I done feel that way no more:isaw::no: Thanks 4 the info :) i wish you luck!.!

Barry McCockinner

Forum Veteran
Having a facebook account I know that facebook is a world of teenagers that there biggest problem with the world seems to be if people use you're and your the right way.The baby pictures poster that think if they post there baby doing something cute nobody will notice how its kinda ugly looking and grown ass people that think they can request for a lot of people to talk telepathicly to somebody they think can choose to heal people when there sick .I doubt any information they get about people on facebook would be groundbreaking in anyway
What about "there", "their", and "they're". Do you have a stance on that? (waiting on gman...)

Barry McCockinner

Forum Veteran
......Trying to find the what key makes the comma be in the air like ' is what trumps correct grammar.
So does ignorance and laziness. I understand people make mistakes but to consistently use the wrong word or consistently misspell the same word shows lack of education and/or ambition. This bothers me, but not to the extent that it bothers gman, I''m sure:p

I've always said that the internet exposes the idiots.

kevin kirk

Forum Veteran
So does ignorance and laziness. I understand people make mistakes but to consistently use the wrong word or consistently misspell the same word shows lack of education and/or ambition. This bothers me, but not to the extent that it bothers gman, I''m sure:p

I've always said that the internet exposes the idiots.
.........Well EVERYBODY by now has to know that EVERYBODY knows 'er is short for are.That means it comes down to getting upset wether a person hits a certain key or not when typing.Its ignorance when you think people don't know the difference.Cant call someone lazy for not moving there finger 2 inches.That just sounds silly.To be honest if someone gets upset when they realize somebody didn't hit a certain key on there laptop when typing,it sounds like they got issues of there own,and What other meaning less things do people in there life have to hear them rant about

Back