Golden State Killer (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

MasochisticMommy

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*Chick with a dick*:・゚✧*:・゚✧
This user was banned

A former police officer has admitted to being the Golden State Killer, the serial murderer and rapist behind the deadly and disturbing crime spree that spanned decades and multiple jurisdictions in California.

Joseph DeAngelo, 74, pleaded guilty Monday morning to multiple murders and rapes in a Sacramento State University ballroom, which was transformed into a courtroom for the event due to accommodation issues, Kim Pedersen, public information officer for the Superior Court of Sacramento told Oxygen.com.
By the end of the proceedings, DeAngelo, who was wheeled onto the stage of the room wearing a face shield as a precaution amid the global coronavirus pandemic, will have pleaded guilty to 26 murder, rape and kidnapping charges, prosecutors said. His defense stated that he also has admitted to dozens of uncharged offenses that he can no longer be charged for due to the statute of limitations.

In exchange for the plea, DeAngelo will dodge the death penalty. Instead, he will serve 15 consecutive life sentences. In a raspy and noticeably weak voice, DeAngelo answered “yes” when asked by Judge Michael Bowman if he understood the charges he was admitting to. Prosecutors from relevant jurisdictions then began going through all the charges individually, beginning with the 1975 murder of Claude Snelling. Before a recess, prosecutors got through charges eight and nine: the 1980 murder of Lyman and Charlene Smith. To all nine counts brought up in court before recess, DeAngelo stated in the same feeble manner, “I admit.”
Sacramento County Prosecutor Thien Ho told the court that in a police interrogation room following his arrest in 2018, DeAngelo started speaking to himself and seemingly blamed his crimes on voices in his head.

“I did all that,” DeAngelo said, according to Ho's recounting. “I didn’t have the strength to push him out. He made me. He went with me. It was like in my head, I mean, he’s a part of me. I didn’t want to do those things. I pushed Jerry out and had a happy life. I did all those things. I destroyed all their lives. So now I’ve got to pay the price.”

"The scope of Joseph DeAngelo's crime spree is simply staggering, encompassing 13 known murders and almost 50 rapes between 1975 and 1986," Ho stated."His monikers reflect the sweeping geographical impact of his crimes."

Before true crime author Michelle McNamara gave DeAngelo the moniker "Golden State Killer," he was known as the East Area Rapist, the Original Night Stalker and the Visalia Ransacker. Only recently did investigators link all his many crimes together. In addition to the 13 murders and dozens of rapes, he's responsible for numerous home break-ins; his crimes spanned six California jurisdictions. He targeted couples in their homes, often restraining the men while he raped their partners. In some cases, he put dishes on the backs of the men while he raped the women, telling them that if any dishes broke, he’d kill them both.

For decades, the killer’s identity remained a mystery and while the case was known in parts of California, it remained largely unknown nationally. That is, until McNamara came across a true crime TV show about the East Area Rapist in 2011 and was shocked she had never heard of the case. She began doing doing research and then spent the rest of her life trying to track the killer down. She wrote a wildly successful feature "In the Footsteps of a Killer" for Los Angeles Magazine in 2013, in which she gave the East Area Rapist the new moniker "Golden State Killer." She began work on a book on the case titled, "I'll Be Gone in the Dark," which was published in 2018 despite McNamara's untimely death in 2016.

As HBO’s new docuseries of the same name shows, she pushed for genetic research to be conducted in the case and her work has been credited with leading to an arrest. DeAngelo, who'd previously worked as a cop in the mid-to-late 1970s in the California towns of Exeter and Auburn, was arrested in April 2018 after genetic analysis pointed to him as the main suspect.

Ho also hinted in court that DeAngelo's meek and confused demeanor, at least at the time of his arrest, may have been an act. He noted that the killer was spotted by investigators vigorously working in his yard before he was taken into custody and that a week prior he was driving a motorcycle. Yet, "sitting in the interview room he feigned feeble incoherence," the prosecutor noted, adding that it "wasn't the first time he did so."

"When store security detained DeAngelo in 1979 for shoplifting dog repellent and a hammer, he pretended to suffer a heart attack and then fought with them to the point where they had to tie him down to a chair," he stated. "When the deputies arrived, he rolled around in his chair in circles and screamed incoherently. Later that day, DeAngelo admitted to the deputies that he just pretended to act crazy to avoid getting in trouble."

DeAngelo is expected to be sentenced in August. Survivors will prepare impact statements to be read aloud during proceedings.

Totentanz

Lurking Lurker
Golden State Killer sentenced to life for 26 rapes, slayings
A former California police officer who became known as the Golden State Killer told victims he’s “truly sorry” before he was sentenced to life imprisonment for a decade-long string of rapes and murders across a wide swath of California
By
DON THOMPSON Associated Press
August 21, 2020, 11:41 AM
2 min read

WireAP_6184f9b585c14fdeab8edc51a3c92866_16x9_992.jpg

Image Icon

Joseph James DeAngelo, sitting in a wheelchair, is brought out of the courtroom for a break in the schedule for the third day of victim impact statements at the Gordon D. Schaber... Read More
Joseph James DeAngelo, sitting in a wheelchair, is brought out of the courtroom for a break in the schedule for the third day of victim impact statements at the Gordon D. Schaber Sacramento County Courthouse on Thursday, Aug. 20, 2020, in Sacramento, Calif. DeAngelo, 74, a former police officer in California eluded capture for four decades before being identified as the Golden State Killer. DeAngelo pleaded guilty in June to 13 murders and 13 rape-related charges stemming from crimes in the 1970s and 1980s. (Santiago Mejia/San Francisco Chronicle via AP, Pool)The Associated Press
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- A former California police officer dubbed the Golden State Killer told victims Friday hew was “truly sorry" before he was sentenced to multiple life prison sentences for a decade-long string of rapes and murders that terrorized a wide swath of the state.

Joseph James DeAngelo, 74, pleaded guilty in June to 13 murders and 13 rape-related charges under a plea deal that avoided a possible death sentence.

The punishment imposed by Sacramento County Superior Court Judge Michael Bowman means DeAngelo will die in prison for the crimes committed between 1975 and 1986.

Before sentencing, DeAngelo rose from a wheelchair, took off his mask and said to the court: “I listened to all your statements, each one of them, and I’m truly sorry for everyone I’ve hurt.”

DeAngelo also publicly admitted dozens more sexual assaults for which the statute of limitations had expired. Prosecutors called the scale of the violence “simply staggering,” encompassing 87 victims at 53 crime scenes spanning 11 California counties.

So many were his victims that Bowman sentenced DeAngelo in a university ballroom large enough to hold the survivors and their families, after an extraordinary three days of hearings in which they told in often heart-rending detail how he had upended their lives.

DeAngelo sat silently through those hearings, expressionless in a wheelchair that prosecutors contended is a prop to hide his still vigorous health.

He eluded capture for four decades until investigators used a new form of DNA tracking to unmask and arrest him in 2018.

Prosecutors initially sought the death penalty, but settled for a life term given California’s moratorium on executions, the coronavirus pandemic, and the advancing age of DeAngelo, his victims, and witnesses they needed to make their case.

Bowman sentenced DeAngelo under a plea deal that called for him to be sentenced to 11 consecutive life terms without the possibility of parole, plus 15 life terms with the possibility of parole and eight years for other enhancements.

Bethy 🔥

Sometimes life aint fair kiddo..
Super Moderator
Golden State Killer sentenced to life for 26 rapes, slayings
A former California police officer who became known as the Golden State Killer told victims he’s “truly sorry” before he was sentenced to life imprisonment for a decade-long string of rapes and murders across a wide swath of California
By
DON THOMPSON Associated Press
August 21, 2020, 11:41 AM
2 min read

WireAP_6184f9b585c14fdeab8edc51a3c92866_16x9_992.jpg

Image Icon

Joseph James DeAngelo, sitting in a wheelchair, is brought out of the courtroom for a break in the schedule for the third day of victim impact statements at the Gordon D. Schaber... Read More
Joseph James DeAngelo, sitting in a wheelchair, is brought out of the courtroom for a break in the schedule for the third day of victim impact statements at the Gordon D. Schaber Sacramento County Courthouse on Thursday, Aug. 20, 2020, in Sacramento, Calif. DeAngelo, 74, a former police officer in California eluded capture for four decades before being identified as the Golden State Killer. DeAngelo pleaded guilty in June to 13 murders and 13 rape-related charges stemming from crimes in the 1970s and 1980s. (Santiago Mejia/San Francisco Chronicle via AP, Pool)The Associated Press
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- A former California police officer dubbed the Golden State Killer told victims Friday hew was “truly sorry" before he was sentenced to multiple life prison sentences for a decade-long string of rapes and murders that terrorized a wide swath of the state.

Joseph James DeAngelo, 74, pleaded guilty in June to 13 murders and 13 rape-related charges under a plea deal that avoided a possible death sentence.

The punishment imposed by Sacramento County Superior Court Judge Michael Bowman means DeAngelo will die in prison for the crimes committed between 1975 and 1986.

Before sentencing, DeAngelo rose from a wheelchair, took off his mask and said to the court: “I listened to all your statements, each one of them, and I’m truly sorry for everyone I’ve hurt.”

DeAngelo also publicly admitted dozens more sexual assaults for which the statute of limitations had expired. Prosecutors called the scale of the violence “simply staggering,” encompassing 87 victims at 53 crime scenes spanning 11 California counties.

So many were his victims that Bowman sentenced DeAngelo in a university ballroom large enough to hold the survivors and their families, after an extraordinary three days of hearings in which they told in often heart-rending detail how he had upended their lives.

DeAngelo sat silently through those hearings, expressionless in a wheelchair that prosecutors contended is a prop to hide his still vigorous health.

He eluded capture for four decades until investigators used a new form of DNA tracking to unmask and arrest him in 2018.

Prosecutors initially sought the death penalty, but settled for a life term given California’s moratorium on executions, the coronavirus pandemic, and the advancing age of DeAngelo, his victims, and witnesses they needed to make their case.

Bowman sentenced DeAngelo under a plea deal that called for him to be sentenced to 11 consecutive life terms without the possibility of parole, plus 15 life terms with the possibility of parole and eight years for other enhancements.
I hope he gets a Whitey Bulger death 🤩

Back