Serious If you are an arachnophobe you really should not read this.................... (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Tattooedmaniac

Why so serious? The Devil ate my bannana

Scientists created ‘zombie’ spiders — and people are freaking out: ‘So fuked up​

This spidernetic technology is causing arachnophobes to lose it.
Texas scientists have developed veritable spider robots by robotically manipulating dead arachnids so they can grasp objects with their legs, as seen in a spine-tingling video.
“It happens to be the case that the spider — after it’s deceased — is the perfect architecture for small-scale, naturally derived grippers,” said Daniel Preston, an engineer with Rice’s George R. Brown School of Engineering, who helped execute the spine-tingling experiment outlined in the journal “Advanced Sciences,” the Rice University press release described. His lab specializes in soft robotics, which employs nontraditional components as opposed to the standard plastics, metals, and electronics.
A handy diagram showing the components of the necrobot experiment.A handy diagram showing the components of the necrobot experiment.Rice University necrobot is used to pick up another spider like a macabre claw machine. Rice University
Arachnophobes steer clear: In their latest Frankenstein-esque experiment, Preston’s team devised a way to pump arachnid cadavers full of air — a tech they dubbed “necrobotics” — so they can unfurl and then grab items — like a macabre claw machine.
The researchers were reportedly inspired after observing these creepy crawlies’ body positions post-mortem.
“We were moving stuff around in the lab and we noticed a curled-up spider at the edge of the hallway,” explained Faye Yap, a Rice graduate student who helmed the research. “We were really curious as to why spiders curl up after they die.”
It happens to be the case that the spider, after it’s deceased, is the perfect architecture for small scale, naturally derived grippers,” said Daniel Preston, an engineer with Rice’s George R. Brown School of Engineering, who helped execute the spine-tingling experiment.“It happens to be the case that the spider after it’s deceased, is the perfect architecture for small scale, naturally derived grippers,” said Daniel Preston, an engineer with Rice’s George R. Brown School of Engineering, who helped execute the spine-tingling experiment. Rice University
A subsequent search revealed that unlike humans, who have antagonistic muscles — which contract and relax — spiders only boast “flexor muscles, which allow their legs to curl in, and they extend them outward by hydraulic pressure,” the spider-woman said.
Specifically, internal valves in the spiders’ hydraulic chamber, or prosoma, contract to send blood to the limbs to force blood to their legs, causing them to extend, Science Daily reported. When that pressure is relieved, the limbs contract.
“When they die, they lose the ability to actively pressurize their bodies. That’s why they curl up,” explained Yap, who wanted to “harness” this mechanism for real-world applications.
Thankfully, the spider’s valves — which it can control individually — are left open in death, allowing the team to move all the legs simultaneously.
“We were moving stuff around in the lab and we noticed a curled up spider at the edge of the hallway, explained Rice graduate student and study author Faye Yap, while describing the inspiration behind the experiment. We were really curious as to why spiders curl up after they die.“We were moving stuff around in the lab and we noticed a curled-up spider at the edge of the hallway,” explained Rice graduate student and study author Faye Yap, while describing the inspiration behind the experiment. “We were really curious as to why spiders curl up after they die.”Rice UniversityPreston and Yap didn't raised the dead, but are rather using the dead to raise others.Preston and Yap didn’t raise the dead but are, rather, using the dead to raise others.Rice University
Creating these arachnid marionettes was simple enough. They simply superglued a needle into the prosoma of a wolf spider — selected due to the species’ ability to lift more than 130% of its own body weight, per the Rice release.
They then attached the needle’s other end to a handheld syringe, with which they injected a shot of air that caused the necrobot’s legs to unfurl almost instantaneously.
“When we did it, it worked … right off the bat,” marveled an ecstatic Yap. “I don’t even know how to describe it — that moment when you see it move.”
An accompanying video demonstration shows how the researchers used the Frankenspider to do everything from control circuit boards to even hoisting another spider.
The scientists managed to manipulate the internal valves in the spiders' hydraulic chamber, or prosoma, which contract to send blood to the limbs to force blood to their legs, causing them to extend, Science Daily reported. When that pressure is relieved, the limbs contract. The scientists managed to manipulate the internal valves in the spiders’ hydraulic chamber, or prosoma, which contract to send blood to the limbs to force blood to their legs, causing them to extend. Rice UniversityThis area of soft robotics is a lot of fun because we get to use previously untapped types of actuation and materials,” Preston [left] explained. “The spider falls into this line of inquiry. It’s something that hasn't been used before but has a lot of potential.”“This area of soft robotics is a lot of fun because we get to use previously untapped types of actuation and materials,” Preston (left) explained. “The spider falls into this line of inquiry. It’s something that hasn’t been used before but has a lot of potentials.”Brandon Martin / Rice Universit
Naturally, this technology might sound like the plot of an arachnological zombie movie in which dead spiders are accidentally reanimated. However, Preston said he foresees necrobots providing a host of useful functions, such as “sorting or moving objects around at these small scales, and maybe even things like the assembly of microelectronics.
“Another application could be deploying it to capture smaller insects in nature because it’s inherently camouflaged,” added Yap.
Best of all, the necrobots were fairly durable, as they went through 1,000 open-close cycles before experiencing any wear and tear. Not to mention that they’re far better for the environment than non-organic robots because they’re “biodegradable,” according to Preston.
“We’re not introducing a big waste stream, which can be a problem with more traditional components,” the spider-man explained.
Rice University researchers have figured out how to use dead spiders as organic claw grabbers.Rice University researchers have figured out how to use dead spiders as organic claw grabbers. Rice University diagram shows how to create a necrobot. Preston Innovation Laboratory
Despite the success in the lab, online arachnophobes didn’t take kindly to this post-mortem puppeteering.
“This is so f–ked up on so many levels that I can’t even,” exclaimed one appalled viewer on Youtube.
“Necrobots. Which I guess makes these engineers Technecromancers,” quipped one Twitter wit of the arachnid resurrection.
“Scientists need to just freaking stop. Turning Dead Spiders Into ‘Necrobots’ ??? WTF?” another spluttered.
Preston says he foresees necrobots providing a host of useful applications, such as sorting or moving objects around at these small scales, and maybe even things like assembly of microelectronics.Preston said he foresees necrobots providing a host of useful applications, such as “sorting or moving objects around at these small scales, and maybe even things like the assembly of microelectronics.”Rice UniversityWhen they die, they lose the ability to actively pressurize their bodies. That’s why they curl up, described Yap, who wanted to harness this mechanism for real-world applications. “When they die, they lose the ability to actively pressurize their bodies. That’s why they curl up,” said Yap, who wanted to “harness” this mechanism for real-world applications. Rice University
However, the team reassured people that they shouldn’t be alarmed.
“Despite looking like it might have come back to life, we’re certain that it’s inanimate, and we’re using it in this case strictly as a material derived from a once-living spider,” Preston said. “It’s providing us with something really useful.”
Ultimately, the necrobiotic experts deem the technology a major milestone in the realm of soft robotics.
What do you think? Post a comment.
“This area of soft robotics is a lot of fun because we get to use previously untapped types of actuation and materials,” Preston explained. “The spider falls into this line of inquiry. It’s something that hasn’t been used before but has a lot of potentials.”
In a similarly divisive robotics breakthrough in April, Hong Kong scientists invented a state-of-the-art “slime robot” that can be magnetically manipulated to retrieve inadvertently ingested objects, among other uses.

Racist Bastard

Forum Veteran
I use to be afraid of these things. I still don't like them. I let some live in the house on purpose now.
I do too. I let the little black fly catchers live. I love to watch them act like a fly just to attack it and carry it away. It's absolutely fascinating. I only kill brown recluse. Which I have never found one in my own home thank God. I've had so many tic bites this year its a wonder I've not contracted something

Kapitän Ghul'

Look at me go.
Use to have both. Brown recluse and got bite by a tick. The damn tick nearly killed me. The spider a pink bump for the day.
I do too. I let the little black fly catchers live. I love to watch them act like a fly just to attack it and carry it away. It's absolutely fascinating. I only kill brown recluse. Which I have never found one in my own home thank God. I've had so many tic bites this year its a wonder I've not contracted something

Racist Bastard

Forum Veteran
Use to have both. Brown recluse and got bite by a tick. The damn tick nearly killed me. The spider a pink bump for the day.
I've no shit had this year alone probably 30 ticks that have actually bit me. Of course we got them off before they could competly bury there heads. But the bite they leave behind itches soooo bad for like 2 weeks. Iv found maybe 100 or so just crawling on me after coming out of the woods. They are really bad this year in ky.
Soon as I come in I gotta be che ked for ticks and scrub like a mfer all over cuz of poison vine. But man I love the woods. Not just the trails I like to go off trail and find old home places. All there will be is a few foundation rocks and alot of times a perfectly laid fireplace/chimney.

Kapitän Ghul'

Look at me go.
I've no shit had this year alone probably 30 ticks that have actually bit me. Of course we got them off before they could competly bury there heads. But the bite they leave behind itches soooo bad for like 2 weeks. Iv found maybe 100 or so just crawling on me after coming out of the woods. They are really bad this year in ky.
Soon as I come in I gotta be che ked for ticks and scrub like a mfer all over cuz of poison vine. But man I love the woods. Not just the trails I like to go off trail and find old home places. All there will be is a few foundation rocks and alot of times a perfectly laid fireplace/chimney.
I have like 3 on me and one damn near killed me.

Racist Bastard

Forum Veteran

SPHINCTERPUNCH

THE SPHINCTER PUNCHER!

Scientists created ‘zombie’ spiders — and people are freaking out: ‘So fuked up​

This spidernetic technology is causing arachnophobes to lose it.
Texas scientists have developed veritable spider robots by robotically manipulating dead arachnids so they can grasp objects with their legs, as seen in a spine-tingling video.
“It happens to be the case that the spider — after it’s deceased — is the perfect architecture for small-scale, naturally derived grippers,” said Daniel Preston, an engineer with Rice’s George R. Brown School of Engineering, who helped execute the spine-tingling experiment outlined in the journal “Advanced Sciences,” the Rice University press release described. His lab specializes in soft robotics, which employs nontraditional components as opposed to the standard plastics, metals, and electronics.
A handy diagram showing the components of the necrobot experiment.A handy diagram showing the components of the necrobot experiment.Rice University necrobot is used to pick up another spider like a macabre claw machine. Rice University
Arachnophobes steer clear: In their latest Frankenstein-esque experiment, Preston’s team devised a way to pump arachnid cadavers full of air — a tech they dubbed “necrobotics” — so they can unfurl and then grab items — like a macabre claw machine.
The researchers were reportedly inspired after observing these creepy crawlies’ body positions post-mortem.
“We were moving stuff around in the lab and we noticed a curled-up spider at the edge of the hallway,” explained Faye Yap, a Rice graduate student who helmed the research. “We were really curious as to why spiders curl up after they die.”
It happens to be the case that the spider, after it’s deceased, is the perfect architecture for small scale, naturally derived grippers,” said Daniel Preston, an engineer with Rice’s George R. Brown School of Engineering, who helped execute the spine-tingling experiment.“It happens to be the case that the spider after it’s deceased, is the perfect architecture for small scale, naturally derived grippers,” said Daniel Preston, an engineer with Rice’s George R. Brown School of Engineering, who helped execute the spine-tingling experiment. Rice University
A subsequent search revealed that unlike humans, who have antagonistic muscles — which contract and relax — spiders only boast “flexor muscles, which allow their legs to curl in, and they extend them outward by hydraulic pressure,” the spider-woman said.
Specifically, internal valves in the spiders’ hydraulic chamber, or prosoma, contract to send blood to the limbs to force blood to their legs, causing them to extend, Science Daily reported. When that pressure is relieved, the limbs contract.
“When they die, they lose the ability to actively pressurize their bodies. That’s why they curl up,” explained Yap, who wanted to “harness” this mechanism for real-world applications.
Thankfully, the spider’s valves — which it can control individually — are left open in death, allowing the team to move all the legs simultaneously.
“We were moving stuff around in the lab and we noticed a curled up spider at the edge of the hallway, explained Rice graduate student and study author Faye Yap, while describing the inspiration behind the experiment. We were really curious as to why spiders curl up after they die.“We were moving stuff around in the lab and we noticed a curled-up spider at the edge of the hallway,” explained Rice graduate student and study author Faye Yap, while describing the inspiration behind the experiment. “We were really curious as to why spiders curl up after they die.”Rice UniversityPreston and Yap didn't raised the dead, but are rather using the dead to raise others.'t raised the dead, but are rather using the dead to raise others.Preston and Yap didn’t raise the dead but are, rather, using the dead to raise others.Rice University
Creating these arachnid marionettes was simple enough. They simply superglued a needle into the prosoma of a wolf spider — selected due to the species’ ability to lift more than 130% of its own body weight, per the Rice release.
They then attached the needle’s other end to a handheld syringe, with which they injected a shot of air that caused the necrobot’s legs to unfurl almost instantaneously.
“When we did it, it worked … right off the bat,” marveled an ecstatic Yap. “I don’t even know how to describe it — that moment when you see it move.”
An accompanying video demonstration shows how the researchers used the Frankenspider to do everything from control circuit boards to even hoisting another spider.
The scientists managed to manipulate the internal valves in the spiders' hydraulic chamber, or prosoma, which contract to send blood to the limbs to force blood to their legs, causing them to extend, Science Daily reported. When that pressure is relieved, the limbs contract. ' hydraulic chamber, or prosoma, which contract to send blood to the limbs to force blood to their legs, causing them to extend, Science Daily reported. When that pressure is relieved, the limbs contract. The scientists managed to manipulate the internal valves in the spiders’ hydraulic chamber, or prosoma, which contract to send blood to the limbs to force blood to their legs, causing them to extend. Rice UniversityThis area of soft robotics is a lot of fun because we get to use previously untapped types of actuation and materials,” Preston [left] explained. “The spider falls into this line of inquiry. It’s something that hasn't been used before but has a lot of potential.”'t been used before but has a lot of potential.”“This area of soft robotics is a lot of fun because we get to use previously untapped types of actuation and materials,” Preston (left) explained. “The spider falls into this line of inquiry. It’s something that hasn’t been used before but has a lot of potentials.”Brandon Martin / Rice Universit
Naturally, this technology might sound like the plot of an arachnological zombie movie in which dead spiders are accidentally reanimated. However, Preston said he foresees necrobots providing a host of useful functions, such as “sorting or moving objects around at these small scales, and maybe even things like the assembly of microelectronics.
“Another application could be deploying it to capture smaller insects in nature because it’s inherently camouflaged,” added Yap.
Best of all, the necrobots were fairly durable, as they went through 1,000 open-close cycles before experiencing any wear and tear. Not to mention that they’re far better for the environment than non-organic robots because they’re “biodegradable,” according to Preston.
“We’re not introducing a big waste stream, which can be a problem with more traditional components,” the spider-man explained.
Rice University researchers have figured out how to use dead spiders as organic claw grabbers.Rice University researchers have figured out how to use dead spiders as organic claw grabbers. Rice University diagram shows how to create a necrobot. Preston Innovation Laboratory
Despite the success in the lab, online arachnophobes didn’t take kindly to this post-mortem puppeteering.
“This is so f–ked up on so many levels that I can’t even,” exclaimed one appalled viewer on Youtube.
“Necrobots. Which I guess makes these engineers Technecromancers,” quipped one Twitter wit of the arachnid resurrection.
“Scientists need to just freaking stop. Turning Dead Spiders Into ‘Necrobots’ ??? WTF?” another spluttered.
Preston says he foresees necrobots providing a host of useful applications, such as sorting or moving objects around at these small scales, and maybe even things like assembly of microelectronics.Preston said he foresees necrobots providing a host of useful applications, such as “sorting or moving objects around at these small scales, and maybe even things like the assembly of microelectronics.”Rice UniversityWhen they die, they lose the ability to actively pressurize their bodies. That’s why they curl up, described Yap, who wanted to harness this mechanism for real-world applications. “When they die, they lose the ability to actively pressurize their bodies. That’s why they curl up,” said Yap, who wanted to “harness” this mechanism for real-world applications. Rice University
However, the team reassured people that they shouldn’t be alarmed.
“Despite looking like it might have come back to life, we’re certain that it’s inanimate, and we’re using it in this case strictly as a material derived from a once-living spider,” Preston said. “It’s providing us with something really useful.”
Ultimately, the necrobiotic experts deem the technology a major milestone in the realm of soft robotics.
What do you think? Post a comment.
“This area of soft robotics is a lot of fun because we get to use previously untapped types of actuation and materials,” Preston explained. “The spider falls into this line of inquiry. It’s something that hasn’t been used before but has a lot of potentials.”
In a similarly divisive robotics breakthrough in April, Hong Kong scientists invented a state-of-the-art “slime robot” that can be magnetically manipulated to retrieve inadvertently ingested objects, among other uses.

This was on the Site the other Day. But not with this Excessive amount of information,So thanku for the Share!
Freaky Shit Peeps! Y not I guess;We exploit every other fkn thing on the Planet!
SP
That shit is Awesome isn't it? I luv Exploring myself! 🤟🤘🏼🤙...SP

LjDes

Deviant
That's crazy. You must work in some seriously dense foliage dawg. Have you ever considered wearing a dog collar at all?

Racist Bastard

Forum Veteran
The ticks in KY are so bad this year. Idk why but they are everywhere. Not just in the woods I can walk to the edge of my yard and come back in and find one or two crawling on me. The seed ticks are the worst you can barley see them.. just every time I come out of the woods I gotta strip at the back porch put clothes directly in the washer and grab a flashing and be checked ALL over. Just a part of life in the summer here.

LjDes

Deviant
The ticks in KY are so bad this year. Idk why but they are everywhere. Not just in the woods I can walk to the edge of my yard and come back in and find one or two crawling on me. The seed ticks are the worst you can barley see them.. just every time I come out of the woods I gotta strip at the back porch put clothes directly in the washer and grab a flashing and be checked ALL over. Just a part of life in the summer here.
Man that must be crazy for like the dogs and deer right...I found a partial moose carcass while I was up in Algonquin camping. I reported it to the rangers thinking that it was a bear attack. They came back saying that it was most likely ticks...ugh fuck...I had no idea

mrln

silent ghost
istockphoto-906193626-1024x1024.jpg

Back