disaster Ocean Recovery (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

DokraOwl

Hooter
le-joola.jpg

MV Le Joola was a Senegalese government-owned roll-on/roll-off ferry that capsized off the coast of The Gambia on 26 September 2002,[1] with 1,863 deaths and 64 survivors. It is thought to be the second-worst non-military disaster in maritime history.The ship was plying the route from Ziguinchor in the Casamance region to the Senegalese capital, Dakar, when it ran into a violent storm, farther out to sea than it was licensed to sail. The estimated 2,000 passengers aboard (about half of whom lacked tickets) would have amounted to nearly four times the ship's design load. The large numbers sleeping on-deck (and thus above its center of buoyancy) added further instability. Rescue operations did not start for several hours.

A government inquiry principally blamed negligence, and accusations were levelled at both the Senegalese president Abdoulaye Wade and prime minister Mame Madior Boye

DokraOwl

Hooter
Just an old rusty barrel of shit filled with human garbage, Mother nature taking out the trash.
I disagree, these weren't like the migrants currently sailing from North Africa to receive free handouts in Europe. According to the information available the ship operated as a ferry transporting workers between their own native islands. These were hard working people who made their own way in the world with their own hands and minds.

djdeeds

Constantly laughing at the world
I disagree, these weren't like the migrants currently sailing from North Africa to receive free handouts in Europe. According to the information available the ship operated as a ferry transporting workers between their own native islands. These were hard working people who made their own way in the world with their own hands and minds.
It seems they made their own way alright, it says half of them didn't have a ticket! so technically half of them were stow aways (hard working stow aways) :shrug:

Jizdrop1

Hope Mojo dies
I seem to remember watching a vid of a diver going inside a sunken boat not expecting anyone to be alive afer a couple of days underwater. When he went up into a hatch a hand touched him and he shat himself. There was only a bloke who had survived in an air pocket( i think it was the ships cook) and he got rescued. Imagine the bloke trapped in the dark waiting to die and i diver comes up. I'll try and find it.

Back