Scientists Discover 2500-Year-Old “Lost Valley of Cities” in the Amazon (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Cold Ethyl

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
A team of researchers has unearthed what appears to be a lost valley of cities, a discovery that is nothing short of incredible.
A new study has revealed the discovery of an extensive network of pre-Hispanic urban settlements in the upper Amazon. These settlements are distinguished by their built platforms and plazas and are interconnected by wide, straight roads.

The research, based on more than 20 years of interdisciplinary research, suggests that this original 2500-year-old society constitutes the earliest and largest low-density agrarian urbanism documented in the Amazon thus far. Such extensive early development in the Upper Amazon resembles similar Maya urban systems in Central America. Although a growing body of research has begun to highlight the scope and scale of pre-Hispanic occupation of the Amazon, evidence for large-scale urbanism has remained elusive.

Unique Urbanism in Amazonian Ecuador​

Stéphen Rostain and colleagues present evidence for an agrarian-based civilization that began more than 2500 years ago in the Upano Valley of Amazonian Ecuador, a region in the eastern foothills of the Andes. Based on more than 20 years of interdisciplinary research that included fieldwork and light detection and ranging (LIDAR) mapping, Rostain et al. describe urbanism at a scale never before documented in Amazonia, consisting of more than 6000 anthropogenic rectangular earthen platforms and plaza structures connected by footpaths and roads and surrounded by expansive agricultural landscapes and river drainages within the 300 square kilometer survey area.

The authors identified at least 15 distinct settlement sites of various sizes based on clusters of structures. However, according to Rostain et al., the most notable elements of this built environment are the extensive and complex regional-scale road network connecting urban centers and the surrounding hinterland.

Archaeological Evidence and Cultural Significance​

Archaeological excavations indicate that the construction and occupation of the platforms and roads occurred between ~500 BCE and 300 to 600 CE and was carried out by groups from the Kilamope and later Upano cultures. Rostain et al. note that the Upano sites are different from other monumental sites discovered in Amazonia, which are more recent and less extensive.

Such a discovery is another vivid example of the underestimation of Amazonia’s twofold heritage: environmental but also cultural, and therefore Indigenous,” write Rostain et al. “…we believe that it is crucial to thoroughly revise our preconceptions of the Amazonian world and, in doing so, to reinterpret contexts and concepts in the necessary light of an inclusive and participatory science.”

DokraOwl

Hooter
I want to go there so I can accidentally lean against an unassuming bolder only to activate an ancient door to open- revealing a stadium-sized room full of golden treasure that hasn't been seen in over 700 years.

Then I will take my back pack and start filling it with loot. I will take my time only taking the most precious objects. But then, I will hear something- the trickle of water. At the center of the treasure room, surrounded in darkness, I find a fountain illuminated under a beam of light from a hole above. The fountain is made of diamond and sapphire encrusted platinum, it is the Fountain on Youth the likes of which Ponce de Leon and other conquistadores had sought but never found.

I pick up a golden chalice from within the fountain's basin and take a drink. Immediately all my fatigue vanishes and I feel my body infused with vigor and energy. "Hahaha!" I laugh. "I am rich and immortal!" I pick up a golden headdress and sit atop a bejeweled throne overlooking the fountain.

"I am Emperor of the world!" I shout. And sure enough my mere act of sitting on the throne sends out a magical impulse that makes me sole ruler of Earth - my will enforced by a powerful invisible magnetic-like force that puppets all others to my every whim. The end.

Morally-Skewed-Hippo

ReallyJess is my fabulous Fag-hag
That sounds all amazing and stuff..... until you recall that Göbekli Tepe (a Neolithic archaeological site in the Southeastern Anatolia Region of Turkey) was inhabited from c. 9500 to at least 8000 BCE (11,500-10,000 years ago), during the Pre-Pottery Neolithic, and is famous for its large circular structures that contain massive stone pillars— the world's oldest known megaliths.

Then you have the city of Aleppo (in modern day Syria) which is one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in the world; it may have been inhabited since the sixth millennium BCE - that's a city that has existed for over 8000 years now.

Compared to that, some raised mounds and a few roads that are 2000 years old, or the ground-penetrating markings of mud huts that are 4000 years old, is barely worth mentioning.

[There is nothing truly old in the "New World" of the Americas.]

I want to go there so I can accidentally lean against an unassuming bolder only to activate an ancient door to open- revealing a stadium-sized room full of golden treasure that hasn't been seen in over 700 years.

Then I will take my back pack and start filling it with loot. I will take my time only taking the most precious objects. But then, I will hear something- the trickle of water. At the center of the treasure room, surrounded in darkness, I find a fountain illuminated under a beam of light from a hole above. The fountain is made of diamond and sapphire encrusted platinum, it is the Fountain on Youth the likes of which Ponce de Leon and other conquistadores had sought but never found.

I pick up a golden chalice from within the fountain's basin and take a drink. Immediately all my fatigue vanishes and I feel my body infused with vigor and energy. "Hahaha!" I laugh. "I am rich and immortal!" I pick up a golden headdress and sit atop a bejeweled throne overlooking the fountain.

"I am Emperor of the world!" I shout. And sure enough my mere act of sitting on the throne sends out a magical impulse that makes me sole ruler of Earth - my will enforced by a powerful invisible magnetic-like force that puppets all others to my every whim. The end.
That should have been the final film entry in the Indiana Jones films - Doctor Henry "Indiana" Jones (Junior) - the Immortal Tomb Raider. A shame we got that pitiful "Dial of Destiny" shite instead...

Last edited:
Back