accident Station Nightclub Fire -Intense Video and Photos of Tragedy (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SinisterUrge

🌀🌀…Spiral Out..🌀🌀
On February 22, 2003 the rock band Great White was scheduled to perform a show at a popular nightclub venue, The Station. The Station, located in West Warwick Rhode Island, opened in 1946. The wooden building was a local staple of live performances and a popular hang out. Because of the age and number of years in operation, the building was "grandfathered in" making it exempt from certain updates such as a sprinkler system.

That night, the small club was packed with 462 people (over capacity). Great White hit the stage and started playing their song "Desert Moon" with pyrotechnics roaring to life on stage at about 11:07pm which ignited flammable acoustic foam in the walls and ceilings surrounding the stage. It reached flashover within one minute, causing all combustible materials to burn. Intense black smoke engulfed the club within two minutes.

Most of the patrons rushed to exit the main entrance of the building. The long hallway, combined with doors that opened inward instead of outward, caused a massive pile up of bodies at the front door. Witnesses watched in horror as people piled on top of one another getting stuck half way out of the exit. People who were lucky to have made it outside started frantically trying to pull people out of the pile in front of the door in an effort to save them. Unfortunately it was too late.

Within 5 minutes, the entire building was engulfed in flames.

The toxic smoke, heat, and the resulting human rush toward the main exit killed 100; 230 were injured and another 132 escaped uninjured. This fire was the 4th deadliest in a nightclub in U.S. history, and the second-deadliest in New England. It is surpassed only by the 1942 Coconut Grove fire which resulted in 492 deaths.

This video was taken right at the beginning of the show and kept shooting as the terrified patrons screamed and the flames roared.

You can watch the horrifying video following this link:

An intense investigation was conducted, charges were filed, trials were held, but nothing can bring back all those poor souls who were just looking for a fun night out and to listen to some great music. Rhode Island is a small state. Nearly everyone either knew someone who died or was at The Station that night (myself included.)

It was found that if there was a sprinkler system in the building, it would have given people enough time to get out. It's a terrible tragedy that could have been prevented.

A memorial honoring those who perished on that frigid February night now stands where the nightclub once stood.

God bless all the victims and their families.
105C0ED7-89A8-4A39-916D-E41AF80F7B15.jpeg
B95C7318-B325-4E12-855C-1D8BDC740935.jpeg
D37C05FF-D82A-46AF-A160-A44CC4091693.jpeg
2DFC03CB-53D4-4DB1-BF14-196590741A57.jpeg
983392B2-02BF-48E3-A2E1-93C4AB696E0E.png
0F340D9D-ED0B-4CF9-B875-3DF7470D84C2.jpeg
38ABBBA7-0B89-45B5-93AA-04F98BCBEEE0.jpeg
301143CB-5805-41D9-AD19-B7A0A4E6212F.jpeg

Attachments

• A4A7B2B4-6124-405D-91A2-C90C821721B8.jpeg
    A4A7B2B4-6124-405D-91A2-C90C821721B8.jpeg
    6.9 KB · Views: 1,096

SPHINCTERPUNCH

THE SPHINCTER PUNCHER!
On February 22, 2003 the rock band Great White was scheduled to perform a show at a popular nightclub venue, The Station. The Station, located in West Warwick Rhode Island, opened in 1946. The wooden building was a local staple of live performances and a popular hang out. Because of the age and number of years in operation, the building was "grandfathered in" making it exempt from certain updates such as a sprinkler system.

That night, the small club was packed with 462 people (over capacity). Great White hit the stage and started playing their song "Desert Moon" with pyrotechnics roaring to life on stage at about 11:07pm which ignited flammable acoustic foam in the walls and ceilings surrounding the stage. It reached flashover within one minute, causing all combustible materials to burn. Intense black smoke engulfed the club within two minutes.

Most of the patrons rushed to exit the main entrance of the building. The long hallway, combined with doors that opened inward instead of outward, caused a massive pile up of bodies at the front door. Witnesses watched in horror as people piled on top of one another getting stuck half way out of the exit. People who were lucky to have made it outside started frantically trying to pull people out of the pile in front of the door in an effort to save them. Unfortunately it was too late.

The toxic smoke, heat, and the resulting human rush toward the main exit killed 100; 230 were injured and another 132 escaped uninjured. This fire was the 4th deadliest in a nightclub in U.S. history, and the second-deadliest in New England. It is surpassed only by the 1942 Coconut Grove fire which resulted in 492 deaths.

This video was taken right at the beginning of the show and kept shooting as the terrified patrons screamed and the flames roared.

An intense investigation was conducted, charges were filed, trials were held, but nothing can bring back all those poor souls who were just looking for a fun night out and to listen to some great music. Rhode Island is a small state. Nearly everyone either knew someone who died or was at The Station that night (myself included.)

It was found that if there was a sprinkler system in the building, it would have given people enough time to get out. It's a terrible tragedy that could have been prevented.

A memorial honoring those who perished on that frigid February night now stands where the nightclub once stood.

God bless all the victims and their families.View attachment 585214View attachment 585215View attachment 585216View attachment 585217View attachment 585219View attachment 585220View attachment 585222View attachment 585221

Ya! "Great White" was a pretty
🔥"HOT BAND"🔥 Back then!
SP

yellowbelly83

Forum Veteran

God bless all the victims and their families.View attachment 585214View attachment 585215View attachment 585216View attachment 585217View attachment 585219View attachment 585220View attachment 585222View attachment 585221

Wow. So much going on in this video. So fascinating. Thank you for posting. The smoke was incredible. I will have a hard time getting that initial scream out of my head. The bit where the videographer goes to the side of the building and it's just rolling smoke through that hallway was incredible. There's about half a foot beneath all that smoke where temps are unbearable. The door was melting. I don't know what I would do in this situation and also a good reason never to go to a live show again in my life. Thank you Spotify. This is a heartbreaking video for anyone who lost someone they loved.

SinisterUrge

🌀🌀…Spiral Out..🌀🌀
Watching this, I’m not sure what’s worse; the screams, or when the screaming stops 😔
That's a good point...given the situation I think it's impossible to choose...I do know that when they were extracting the bodies from in front of the door they actually found someone still alive under the pile. The bodies on top of him shielded him from the fire...I can't even imagine what that guy heard...😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫
Wow. So much going on in this video. So fascinating. Thank you for posting. The smoke was incredible. I will have a hard time getting that initial scream out of my head. The bit where the videographer goes to the side of the building and it's just rolling smoke through that hallway was incredible. There's about half a foot beneath all that smoke where temps are unbearable. The door was melting. I don't know what I would do in this situation and also a good reason never to go to a live show again in my life. Thank you Spotify. This is a heartbreaking video for anyone who lost someone they loved.
Thank you for your reply! Yes when I first watched the video I was astounded how fast the fire spread and how thick that smoke was. The foam they had on the walls made the smoke so toxic that just taking in about 2-3 breaths would be fatal. We lost a friend in the fire...we went to the site the day after the fire and saw the burned out remains of the building...totally sobering and chilling...and the smell was horrific 😢

Back