Status Quo guitarist Rick Parfitt dead at 68 (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

wino

DILLIGAF
Status Quo guitarist Rick Parfitt dead at 68 after suffering a severe infection

STATUS Quo legend Rick Parfitt chillingly spoke of dying just weeks before he passed away following his third heart attack.

The guitarist died in a Spanish hospital just months after suffering a massive heart attack while on tour with the band in Spain, where he had to be revived by paramedics.

Last month, the rocker defiantly spoke of the moment he “died”, saying: “It will take more than death to kill me”.

85fecdc531e258618cc2c9335dc83050

Status Quo’s Rick Parfitt and Francis Rossi were a phenomenal live act. Picture: SuppliedSource:Supplied

“We are truly devastated to have to announce that Status Quo guitarist Rick Parfitt has passed away,” his family and manager said in a joint statement.

“He died in hospital in Marbella, Spain as a result of a severe infection, having been admitted to hospital on Thursday evening following complications to a shoulder injury incurred by a previous fall.”

In nearly five decades in rock and roll, Status Quo have sold more than 100 million records.

They are known for their stripped-down, three-chord hits such as Rockin’ All Over the World and Caroline and were the opening act for the 1985 Live Aid concert, which raised money for famine-hit Ethiopia.

Status Quo open Live Aid in 1984

The band enjoyed a hedonistic lifestyle filled with drugs and alcohol — Parfitt once admitted spending $2000 a week on cocaine and another $1000 on vodka.

His lifestyle played havoc with his personal relationships, and he had a number of divorces behind him.

He later joked: “It’s not buying the drugs that is the most expensive thing. It’s the divorce which taking drugs eventually leads to.”

The rocker had been dogged by ill health after having a quadruple heart bypass in 1997.

Doctors told him he could “die at any time” unless he changed his rock and roll lifestyle of drinking, drugs and smoking.

It was the first of a string of heart problems for Parfitt — he suffered a heart attack was in December 2011 and he underwent surgery the following day.

In August 2014, Parfitt was on a tour bus following a performance in Austria when he suffered another heart attack.

c925f6ee7fe70d7f294ed72bafafe181

Francis Rossi and Rick Parfitt, pictured in Sydney, were regular visitors to our shores. Picture: SuppliedSource:News Limited

He later said he was pleased to have the heart attack as it forced him to stop smoking and drinking after 50 years.

The guitarist admitted he was drinking a bottle of wine and smoking 30 cigarettes a day.

While on tour with Status Quo in Turkey, in June, the rocker suffered a massive heart attack.

He was left with “mild cognitive impairments” following the scare.

He was found by a personal assistant after his hotel room was ajar and she discovered him lying on the floor.

Paramedics saved the guitarist’s life after he “died” while they were treating him in the hotel room.

’It will take more than death to kill me’

RIP Rick here's one of my favs from the band.

:(

wino

DILLIGAF
Status Quo's Rick Parfitt was 'archetypal rock star' says bandmate
Frontman Francis Rossi pays tribute to guitarist, who died aged 68 on Christmas Eve, saying he ‘lived life at high speed’

Rick Parfitt and Francis Rossi of Status Quo in 1985. Rossi described their relationship as ‘the most satisfying, frustrating, creative and fluid’ of his life. Photograph: Allstar Picture Library
Press Association

Tuesday 27 December 2016 03.44 AEDT Last modified on Tuesday 27 December 2016 03.58 AEDT

Status Quo frontman Francis Rossi has paid tribute to his bandmate, Rick Parfitt, who died aged 68 on Christmas Eve.

Rossi describing Parfitt as “the archetypal rock star”, “one of the originals” who “never lost his joy, his mischievous edge and his penchant for living life at high speed, high volume, high risk”.

The musician died on Saturday after suffering from a severe infection while in a Spanish hospital, which he had visited on Thursday due to complications with a pre-existing shoulder injury.

There had been concern about his health for many years. He had survived several heart attacks and a cancer scare.

1984.jpg

Rossi said in a statement: “Rick Parfitt had been a part of my story for 50 years. Without doubt the longest relationship of my life: this was also the most satisfying, frustrating, creative and fluid.

“From those early days, we worked together to create the Quo sound, look and hits. We spent years on the road, on the stage and in the studio, rarely far from each other, honing what we did.

“We were a team, a double act, a partnership and yet also two very different people, handling the pressures of growing older, constant touring, dealing with success and keeping the creative flame burning in different ways.”

Rossi said Parfitt “developed his own sound, his own style” and casually inspired a generation of guitar players.

“Rick was the archetypal rock star, one of the originals, he never lost his joy, his mischievous edge and his penchant for living life at high speed, high volume, high risk,” he added. “His life was never boring, he was louder and faster and more carefree than the rest of us.

“There were any number of incidents along the way, times when he strayed into areas of true danger and yet losing him now is still a shock. Even in a year that has claimed so many of our best, including now George Michael, Rick Parfitt stands out. I was not ready for this.”

From 1967, Parfitt helped steer Status Quo to become one of British rock’s staple acts. Hits such as Rockin’ All Over the World became immortalised when they opened the historic Live Aid concert in 1985 in a performance broadcast globally.

In 2015, the band eventually passed a milestone enjoyed by only a handful of musicians, spending a total of 500 weeks in the UK album charts.

Status Quo's Rick Parfitt was 'archetypal rock star' says bandmate

zinfandel

The hair-flip of death
I couldn't remember who they were until I played the vids. Then I was like OH YEAH!! THOSE GUYS!!! Which means another icon from my youth has gone pbbbbtht. Screw you, 2016.

wino

DILLIGAF
about bloody time some actually replied in this thread. Where's the respect for a legend !!

McM

ARSELING
One of the first easy riffs I learnt to play on a e-guitar were from Status Quo. (after the mandatory 'House of the Rising Sun).

Back