This Is The Fascinating Way Blue Eyes Get Their Colour (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Cold Ethyl

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Your eyes aren't blue (or green) because they contain pigmented cells.

As Paul Van Slembrouck writes for Medium, their colour is actually structural - and it involves some pretty interesting physics.

The coloured part of your eye is called the iris, and it's made up of two layers - the epithelium at the back and the stroma at the front.

The epithelium is only two cells thick and contains black-brown pigments - the dark specks that some people have in their eye is, in fact, the epithelium peeking through.

The stroma, in contrast, is made up of colourless collagen fibres. Sometimes the stroma contains a dark pigment called melanin, and sometimes it contains excess collagen deposits.

And, fascinatingly, it's these two factors that control your eye colour.

Brown eyes, for example, contain a high concentration of melanin in their stroma, which absorbs most of the light entering the eye regardless of collagen deposits, giving them their dark colour.

Green eyes don't have much melanin in them, but they also have no collagen deposits.

This means that while some of the light entering them is absorbed by the pigment, the particles in the stroma also scatter light as a result of something called the Tyndall effect, which creates a blue hue (it's similar to Rayleigh scattering which makes the sky look blue).

Combined with the brown melanin, this results in the eyes appearing green.

Blue eyes are potentially the most fascinating, as their colour is entirely structural.

People with blue eyes have a completely colourless stroma with no pigment at all, and it also contains no excess collagen deposits.

This means that all the light that enters it is scattered back into the atmosphere and as a result of the Tyndall effect, creates a blue hue.

Interestingly, this means that blue eyes don't actually have a set colour - it all depends on the amount of light available when you look at them.

Structural colouration also gives colour to butterflies, beef and berries.

It's pretty mind-blowing stuff.

Van Slembrouck writes for Medium:

"Imagine that you could shrink yourself to a microscopic size and then climb through the mesh of fibres in the stroma. That's where structural colouration is coming from…

… and in the mesh are also strands of smooth muscle tissue that contract to dilate (expand) the pupil, pulling the inner edge of the iris toward the outer edge. When this happens, the stroma fibres slacken and may become wiggly as tension is released. This makes me wonder, does that slightly alter the colour of your eye as well?"

Check out Van Slembrouck's great story to find out how hazel and grey eyes get their colour, and also to check out his beautiful diagrams that explain structural colouring.

ZeroK

SCIENCE AVENGER
So Interesting! Yes Blue Eyes Are Captivating
IMG_7321.jpeg

Flatus Tube

I have counted to infinity, twice.
Interestingly, I was thinking about this last night.

It’s a similar principle with butterfly wings.

Also, the colours seen in a bubble or oil spill also result from specific interaction with light waves. Bubbles being made with an oily layer two molecules thick, mean part of a light ray is reflected from the outer layer, and part from the inner layer. As the distance between the molecules is similar to the wavelengths of light, some colour waves will reflect in phase with each other (that colour is seen) or anti phase (that colour is cancelled out). The spectrum of light is filtered by the nano changes in distance between the two molecule layers.

The in phase/ anti phase principle is also how active noise cancelling headphones work. I love physics 😂.

Gamma🍄Goblin

Im the guy who cleans up your mess after you die!
Interestingly, I was thinking about this last night.

It’s a similar principle with butterfly wings.

Also, the colours seen in a bubble or oil spill also result from specific interaction with light waves. Bubbles being made with an oily layer two molecules thick, mean part of a light ray is reflected from the outer layer, and part from the inner layer. As the distance between the molecules is similar to the wavelengths of light, some colour waves will reflect in phase with each other (that colour is seen) or anti phase (that colour is cancelled out). The spectrum of light is filtered by the nano changes in distance between the two molecule layers.

The in phase/ anti phase principle is also how active noise cancelling headphones work. I love physics 😂.
Correct that's where rainbow's come from

ImAlwaysBaked

🩸Blood Bag🩸
They also found a common ancestor around 8,000-10,000 years ago that they can tie all people with blue eyes back too. That one person developed the genetic mutation for blue eyes, which means if you have sex, and you both have blue eyes, you have a common grandparent as little as 8 to 10 thousand years ago.

qlit

Brotha from anotha motha
My eyes are blue and when I go outside in sunny day my eyes turn into like Chinese or Japanese, I mean narrow... Anyways, despite the fact, that I am not a Chinese or Japanese neither Korean, okey, neither Asian. I am European, Balt, the superior race. Yeah yeah, you've read that right. I am Joe Biden. Vote for me because I love kids sitting on my lap *smells hair of a teenager*. Orange man bad and fuck black Harris. Wait, she is in my team. Anyways............. She is black. I mean we are all the same *falls off the bike*.............. Blacks, again. Where was I? Oh... I need to stand up. Wait, I can't. Somebody pick me up. *Asian and Black lifeguards pick him up*...
So, with blue eyes I am 80% blind in sunny day, but I can clearly see in the dark. Wait, what was this text about? Anyways... I love you all and fuck you all. Peace out :mario:

I am Joe Biden and I believe it's my message.:mario:

mrln

silent ghost
Really 5 out of 6 I'm my family have hazel eyes. My dad was the only one with blue
thats what ive read.
im the only one in my family with hazel eyes. my parents have brown and my brothers and sister have brown. i was born with blue eyes,i was told. they changed and i still have a speck of blue in my rt eye. my daughter was born with blue eyes. they turned violet for a while and iwas prayin theyd stay like that. but turned brown. my sons all have brown eyes as does my wife.

Cold Ethyl

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
thats what ive read.
im the only one in my family with hazel eyes. my parents have brown and my brothers and sister have brown. i was born with blue eyes,i was told. they changed and i still have a speck of blue in my rt eye. my daughter was born with blue eyes. they turned violet for a while and iwas prayin theyd stay like that. but turned brown. my sons all have brown eyes as does my wife.
Me and toh have hazel my oldest has blue eyes till he was almost 1 and his eyes turned dark brown seemed like over we r night literally. And my youngest has crystal blue eyes .

Last edited:

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out

As Paul Van Slembrouck writes for Medium, their colour is actually structural - and it involves some pretty interesting physics.

The coloured part of your eye is called the iris, and it's made up of two layers - the epithelium at the back and the stroma at the front.

The epithelium is only two cells thick and contains black-brown pigments - the dark specks that some people have in their eye is, in fact, the epithelium peeking through.

The stroma, in contrast, is made up of colourless collagen fibres. Sometimes the stroma contains a dark pigment called melanin, and sometimes it contains excess collagen deposits.

Brown eyes, for example, contain a high concentration of melanin in their stroma, which absorbs most of the light entering the eye regardless of collagen deposits, giving them their dark colour.

Green eyes don't have much melanin in them, but they also have no collagen deposits.

This means that while some of the light entering them is absorbed by the pigment, the particles in the stroma also scatter light as a result of something called the Tyndall effect, which creates a blue hue (it's similar to Rayleigh scattering which makes the sky look blue).

Blue eyes are potentially the most fascinating, as their colour is entirely structural.

People with blue eyes have a completely colourless stroma with no pigment at all, and it also contains no excess collagen deposits.

This means that all the light that enters it is scattered back into the atmosphere and as a result of the Tyndall effect, creates a blue hue.

Interestingly, this means that blue eyes don't actually have a set colour - it all depends on the amount of light available when you look at them.

"Imagine that you could shrink yourself to a microscopic size and then climb through the mesh of fibres in the stroma. That's where structural colouration is coming from…

… and in the mesh are also strands of smooth muscle tissue that contract to dilate (expand) the pupil, pulling the inner edge of the iris toward the outer edge. When this happens, the stroma fibres slacken and may become wiggly as tension is released. This makes me wonder, does that slightly alter the colour of your eye as well?"

Check out Van Slembrouck's great story to find out how hazel and grey eyes get their colour, and also to check out his beautiful diagrams that explain structural colouring.

Very cool - thanks for the info. I'd read way back in genetics that most babies inherit their fathers eye colour (not always). My granddaughter is going on 12 weeks old and her's are blue, and hoping they stay that way because mine are, her mom's are, her mom's moms are, her sisters are, but her partner's are brown, lol. Fingers crossed.

Solomon Kane

And so it begins..

Mine are Hazel... fuck blue ! 😁

macread

Well Known Member
They also found a common ancestor around 8,000-10,000 years ago that they can tie all people with blue eyes back too. That one person developed the genetic mutation for blue eyes, which means if you have sex, and you both have blue eyes, you have a common grandparent as little as 8 to 10 thousand years ago.
Does that mean I am married to my cousin?

ImAlwaysBaked

🩸Blood Bag🩸
Does that mean I am married to my cousin?
Technically speaking, you guys are so far removed DNA wise, but yes... you both came from the same great great great great grandfather/grandmother. Scientists were able to trace all blue eyed humans back to ONE human, who developed the mutation that causes blue eyes. So yes you and your wife came down the same family tree lol

D.O.A.

We are Kings
Technically speaking, you guys are so far removed DNA wise, but yes... you both came from the same great great great great grandfather/grandmother. Scientists were able to trace all blue eyed humans back to ONE human, who developed the mutation that causes blue eyes. So yes you and your wife came down the same family tree lol
One person in all of humanity? What a load of shit this is like saying we all came from some nigger

Back