US Safety Agency to Consider Ban on Gas Stoves Amid Health Fears (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

D.O.A.

We are Kings
🤡🌎

The US Consumer Product Safety Commission plans to take action to address the pollution, which can cause health and respiratory problems.

In a letter to the agency in December, lawmakers including Senator Cory Booker of New Jersey and Representative Don Beyer of Virginia, both Democrats, urged action and called gas-stove emissions a “cumulative burden” on Black, Latino and low-income households that disproportionately experience air pollution.

The Bethesda, Maryland-based Consumer Product Safety Commission, which has a staff of roughly 500, plans to open public comment on hazards posed by gas stoves later this winter. Besides barring the manufacture or import of gas stoves, options include setting standards on emissions from the appliances, Trumka said.

“There is this misconception that if you want to do fine-dining kind of cooking it has to be done on gas,” Trumka said. “It’s a carefully manicured myth.”

nostrils

Forum Veteran
653A34DF-498B-4C9F-8FF1-28A864EA762E.gif

Jessica Fletcher. 🍳

Angela of Death.
Cooking on gas is so much better than electric, electric hobs are terrible at changing between heat levels. Induction hobs aren't too bad, but poor people won't be able afford them and a whole new set of compatible pots and pans.

I can't see this law change happening
My mam got an electric cooker because the kitchen fitters said she had to, the pressure was too low/pipes were too thin (I think they just weren't corgi registered myself but I'm not a plumber) that was easy 10 years ago now, she said she still missed using a gas hob just this Xmas.

I'm sure all British boilers/water heaters (probably the cookers too) are meant to be electric by 2050 as well as cars in the big Greta plan.

djdeeds

Constantly laughing at the world
When I was a kid I used to like the smell of my Grandmas Kerosene heater. They outlawed them many years ago - some shit about them being dangerous. They were cheap as fuck to run and were hotter than hell - not really on topic but I just wanted to share that memory as i was realizing so many things in life being banned for dumb reasons.

Ellzibette

Resident Rope Bottom
I throw down in the kitchen, I am a very good cook, and I would never live in a house with an electric stove. It absolutely does make a difference, because in the past I have lived in places with an electric stove, so I have cooked on both.

But the morons that are pushing this clearly don't realize that a full 39% of electricity in the US is produced from BURNING NATURAL GAS. If there was a greater draw on electricity resources, it would only increase. So by eliminating natural gas stoves, you aren't limiting the use of natural gas at all.....and are likely increasing it, because its less efficient to burn gas to create electricity to power stoves than it would be to just power those stoves with natural gas to begin with.

I also want to know how eliminating these stoves would help minorities. Higher cost homes demand gas stoves if there are even remotely feasible. Electric stoves are usually the choice in apartments or lower cost housing. Its far cheaper to build infrastructure that caters to electricity over gas. So these poorer populations are far more likely to already have electric appliances, so who is this helping?

hedgerow

simpelton
too much bureaucracy with too little real work to do, so they come up with this BS web of regulation...it won't happen soon, but it will happen

mother fuckers, come for my gas cookstove if you got the balls, however, rest assured that i will blow a big ragged fucking hole in your middle before you get through the door. God damn communist sons-a-bitches

mrln

silent ghost
its fucking bullshit. all of it.
these dumb fucking idiots in washington pushing this agenda are in it for the money. they have stock in what this effects and are trying to make a fucking killing on them! think about it. theres not enough power now as it is for just normal day to day living. then theres summer with high heat and humidity. when brown outs and black outs occur. storms happen and knock down power lines. this admin and previous admins pushing for ev's. texas.. TEXAS of all states who have their own power grid,couldnt handle what happened this past summer. and now these stupid fucks want to ban natural gas and propane on new construction appliances,and make everything all electric? yea i dont think so. first off,bring the infrastructure up to par. because this country's infrastructure is rated at a C-. then with that upgrade,bury the power lines. dont have to worry about them being disrupted by falling branches and trees knocking them down. or ice pulling down the power lines. let alone someone hitting a pole and knocking it down disrupting power. or anything else.
worry about what matters,instead of making mountains out of mole hills! asshats...

Grand Mal Caesar

1984+Idiocracy=Reality
its fucking bullshit. all of it.
these dumb fucking idiots in washington pushing this agenda are in it for the money. they have stock in what this effects and are trying to make a fucking killing on them! think about it. theres not enough power now as it is for just normal day to day living. then theres summer with high heat and humidity. when brown outs and black outs occur. storms happen and knock down power lines. this admin and previous admins pushing for ev's. texas.. TEXAS of all states who have their own power grid,couldnt handle what happened this past summer. and now these stupid fucks want to ban natural gas and propane on new construction appliances,and make everything all electric? yea i dont think so. first off,bring the infrastructure up to par. because this country's infrastructure is rated at a C-. then with that upgrade,bury the power lines. dont have to worry about them being disrupted by falling branches and trees knocking them down. or ice pulling down the power lines. let alone someone hitting a pole and knocking it down disrupting power. or anything else.
worry about what matters,instead of making mountains out of mole hills! asshats...

They are not pushing their agenda to make money. They already have the money. The money is being used to push their agenda. All the crises we are experiencing are intentional. Everything that is going wrong is going wrong because that is the intent. None of this is due to incompetence. It's outright sabotage.

The two most powerful political positions in America are filled by two of the most useless shit heads in American politics. Every single position in their administration is filled with useless fucking clowns who are merely tokens installed to give us a false semblance of government structure. Not a single one of them was put in place with expectations of success due to their skills.

GoreErectus

Forum Veteran
Health fears? So the EMF from electric induction stoves is better?????? They're not worried about safety. They're worried about liability----that is, people turning gas appliances into bombs

Back