Warning:Children VC Terrorism: Vietnam (1 Viewer)

Warning

Users who are viewing this thread

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
VC Terrorism: Vietnam

Set 1.

The My Canh Restaurant Bombing - June 25, 1965.

Two powerful terrorist bombs exploded in quick succession beside a crowded floating restaurant on the Saigon river last night, killing at least 31 persons including nine Americans. Among the 49 injured were 11 Americans, 33 Vietnamese and five persons of other nationalities.

Five of the dead Americans were servicemen. At least two of the other four were U.S. Government employees. Eighteen Vietnamese were killed along with two Frenchmen, a Frenchwoman and one unidentified Causcasian.

The terrorist strike staged about 500 yards from the United States Embassy was the bloodiest of its kind in Saigon during the Vietnamese war.

The double-barreled blasts erupted on shore, slashing across the luxuriously appointed decks of the restaurant, the My Canh, felling strollers on the riverside boulevard and smashing windows as far as two blocks away.

The terrorist bomb strike left the My Canh's decks and the boulevard pavement slick with blood.

Photos

my-canh-bombing1-Saigon-SV-jun28-1965.jpg

my-canh-bombing2-Saigon-SV-jun28-1965.jpg

my-canh-bombing3-Saigon-SV-jun28-1965.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out

Set 2.

Dining on choice Chinese food and French wine aboard the My Canh were nearly 100 Vietnamese and Americans, including United States advisers in from field duty with Vietnamese Military units.

They were prime targets of the explosions, which left both decks a smoking smoldering mass of broken bulwarks, smashed tables and splintered crockery. Others hit were on the boulevard nearby seeking relief from the heat in early night breezes.

U.S. investigators said one of the bombs was a powerful shaped charge- possibly an American-made Claymore electric mine - planted in the back of the river near the restaurants' awning-covered gangplank. The Claymore is an aimed device, exploding in the direction in which it is pointed. The other was a bicycle bomb. Its explosion left a tangled of tires and twisted metal beside a boulevard stall.

Photos

my-canh-bombing4-Saigon-SV-jun28-1965.jpg

my-canh-bombing5-Saigon-SV-jun28-1965.jpg

my-canh-bombing6-Saigon-SV-jun28-1965.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out

Set 3.

They were prime targets of the explosions, which left both decks a smoking smoldering mass of broken bulwarks, smashed tables and splintered crockery. Others hit were on the boulevard nearby seeking relief from the heat in early night breezes.

U.S. investigators said one of the bombs was a powerful shaped charge- possibly an American-made Claymore electric mine - planted in the back of the river near the restaurants' awning-covered gangplank. The Claymore is an aimed device, exploding in the direction in which it is pointed. The other was a bicycle bomb. Its explosion left a tangled of tires and twisted metal beside a boulevard stall.

Photos

my-canh-bombing7-Saigon-SV-jun28-1965.jpg

my-canh-bombing8-Saigon-SV-jun28-1965.jpg

my-canh-bombing9-Saigon-SV-jun28-1965.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out

Set 4.

Presumably both bombs were timed devices set to go off simultaneously. Whoever planted them seemed to have escaped. Three was no indication of any arrests. The attack was the third major terrorist thrust within the capitol in the last three months.

The riverfront attack on the first night of a new anti-luxury curfew, decreed by Premier Nguyen Cao KY's new military government to cut down the capital's conspicuous nightlife. The curfew was due to start at 11 p.m., one hour later for some reason than was announced in the original order Thursday. Streets have been swarmed for two days with Vietnamese military police, marines and other guards, especially alert against terrorism. A police patrol boat regularly cruises the Saigon river.

Photos

my-canh-bombing10-Saigon-SV-jun28-1965.jpg

my-canh-bombing11-Saigon-SV-jun28-1965.jpg

my-canh-bombing12-Saigon-SV-jun28-1965.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out

Set 5.

VC Mine Road in Phu Yen ~ Feb. 14, 1966.

Fifty-four Vietnamese civilians, including four children, were killed and 18 wounded by three Viet Cong mines buried in a road in Phu Yen province.; Mining of the road was in retaliation for an Allied operation guarding harvesting of the rice crop. The area has had to import 600 tons of rice monthly because the Viet Cong controlled the major portion of the crop.

Photos

vc-mine-village-road1-Phu-Yen-Vietnam-feb14-1966.jpg

vc-mine-village-road2-Phu-Yen-Vietnam-feb14-1966.jpg

vc-mine-village-road3-Phu-Yen-Vietnam-feb14-1966.jpg

vc-mine-village-road4-Phu-Yen-Vietnam-feb14-1966.jpg

vc-mine-village-road5-Phu-Yen-Vietnam-feb14-1966.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out

Set 6.

VC Mine Road in Phu Yen ~ Feb. 14, 1966.

The first explosion, which left a three-meter crater in the road and threw the large bus into a canal, killed 27 farmers on their way to work in fields near Tuy Hoa. Eleven others were injured.

A three-wheel bus, loaded with men, women and children, touched off the second mine which killed 20 and wounded seven.

Another three-wheel bus set off the third mine, which killed 7.; It was the most serious incident involving mines since early 1964 when 22 Vietnamese women and children were killed when their bus struck a mine planted by the Viet Cong.

Photos

vc-mine-village-road6-Phu-Yen-Vietnam-feb14-1966.jpg

vc-mine-village-road7-Phu-Yen-Vietnam-feb14-1966.jpg

vc-mine-village-road8-Phu-Yen-Vietnam-feb14-1966.jpg

vc-mine-village-road9-Phu-Yen-Vietnam-feb14-1966.jpg

vc-mine-village-road10-Phu-Yen-Vietnam-feb14-1966.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out

Set 7.

Dak Son Massacre ~ Dec. 6, 1967.

Two battalions of Viet Cong systematically killed 252 civilians with flame-throwers and grenades this week in a "vengeance" attack on a small hamlet less than a mile from the capital in Phuoc Long Province.

Survivors of the December 6 attack said the VC shouted their intentions to "wipe out" the hamlet of Dak Son as they struck from the surrounding jungle. A local defense force of 54 men gave ground before the estimated 300 uniformed communists.

According to the survivors, the VC ranged up and down the hamlet streets, systematically burning more than half the 150 thatched homes of the community. Two defenders were killed, four wounded and three are missing. Many of the victims were burned to death in their homes, others, who fled to underground shelters, died as flame-throwers with their napalm-based fuel, were directed into the small shelters. Other Viet Cong threw hand grenades into holes where families were covered. (The VN Center Archive)

Photos

village-massacre1-Dak-Son-Vietnam-dec6-1967.jpg

village-massacre2-Dak-Son-Vietnam-dec6-1967.jpg

village-massacre3-Dak-Son-Vietnam-dec6-1967.jpg

village-massacre4-Dak-Son-Vietnam-dec6-1967.jpg

village-massacre5-Dak-Son-Vietnam-dec6-1967.jpg

Airbornemama

Something Ironic...
This user was banned

Set 4.

Presumably both bombs were timed devices set to go off simultaneously. Whoever planted them seemed to have escaped. Three was no indication of any arrests. The attack was the third major terrorist thrust within the capitol in the last three months.

The riverfront attack on the first night of a new anti-luxury curfew, decreed by Premier Nguyen Cao KY's new military government to cut down the capital's conspicuous nightlife. The curfew was due to start at 11 p.m., one hour later for some reason than was announced in the original order Thursday. Streets have been swarmed for two days with Vietnamese military police, marines and other guards, especially alert against terrorism. A police patrol boat regularly cruises the Saigon river.

Photos

View attachment 129923

View attachment 129924

View attachment 129925

That last pic where the man is gently trying to pick up the dead little toddler is a really sad photo.

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out

Set 8.

The Huáşż Massacre ~ Feb. 1968

The Huáşż Massacre is the name given to the summary executions and mass killings perpetrated by the Viet Cong and North Vietnamese Army during their capture, occupation and later withdrawal from the city of Huáşż during the Tet Offensive, considered one of the longest and bloodiest battles of the Vietnam War.

During the months and years that followed the Battle of Huáşż, which began on January 31, 1968, and lasted a total of 28 days, dozens of mass graves were discovered in and around Huáşż. The estimated death toll was between 2,800 to 6,000 civilians and prisoners of war. Victims were found bound, tortured, and sometimes apparently buried alive.

Three professors, members of the West German Cultural Mission who taught at the Huáşż Faculty of Medicine, and the wife of one of the professors, were arrested and executed by the North Vietnamese and National Liberation Front during their recapture of Huáşż during the Tet Offensive (Feb. 1968). Their bodies, along with those of scores of Vietnamese civilians, who also were executed, were found April 5 in mass graves near Huáşż.

The slain Germans were Professor Horst Krainickank, his wife Mrs. Krainickank, Dr. Alois Altekoester, and Dr. Raimund Discher.

Photos

german-doctors-killed1-Hue-VN-feb-1968.jpg

german-doctors-killed2-Hue-VN-feb-1968.jpg

german-doctors-killed3-Hue-VN-feb-1968.jpg

german-doctors-killed4-Hue-VN-feb-1968.jpg

german-doctors-killed5-Hue-VN-feb-1968.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Are these numbers completely accurate? I feel like the US government would have great motivation to inflate civilian death counts in order to stir up anger.
Most sources had the same casualty count. But the sources weren't American, they were Vietnamese.
:beer:

aRyan

TRUMP or BUST
Cool pictures, most of them I've never seen. A couple of the incidents I've never even heard of, but then again I haven't really done much research on the Vietnam war.

One thing though, if these bombings are during a war, is it really terrorism?

aRyan

TRUMP or BUST
Whenever you kill innocent civilians it is terrorism. :rambo:

Well in that case, just about every country that has ever been in a war has a lot of terrorism charges to answer to!

Reminds me of a great Dr. Pierce speech.. -and sorry DeathHand, I promise not to hijack the thread with anything more than this!

So how do we decide what is terrorism and what isn't? Is terrorism what individuals or small groups do when they're angry at a government, but what governments do is legitimate warfare or self-defense or something else other than terrorism?

No, no, that can't be, because we were told that the government of Afghanistan that we just destroyed was a terrorist government, and so is the government of Iraq, which the media want us to destroy next. So maybe it's the type of weapon that's used that determines whether an action is terrorism or not. If one uses a car bomb or a human bomb, as the Palestinians often do, it's terrorism. If one uses a helicopter gun ship, as the Israelis often use to assassinate Palestinian leaders, or an airplane, like we use to bomb Afghanistan, it's not terrorism.

No, no, that can't be right, because Osama bin Laden used airplanes in his attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, and we were assured that was terrorism. So why is Mr. Bush's aerial bombing of Kabul or Kandahar not terrorism, while Osama bin Laden's aerial bombing of New York and Washington was? Why wasn't the Clinton government's aerial bombing of Belgrade two years ago called "terrorism" by the media?

Perhaps what distinguishes legitimate warfare from terrorism is motivation. In warfare one attempts to destroy the enemy's military forces and to capture territory from the enemy; in terrorism one attempts to demoralize or terrify the enemy. But then what should we call the carpet-bombing of German cities by the United States during the Second World War? The motive there was to kill as many German civilians as possible and demoralize the German public. That also was the motive behind Britain's program to drop millions of anthrax bombs on Germany during the war. Fortunately, the Second World War ended before Britain could use the anthrax bombs it had prepared, but Churchill had fully intended to use them -- and to use them when it already was apparent that Germany was losing the war. Why is Winston Churchill regarded by all of the controlled media as a hero, as a great and good man, while whoever is mailing anthrax-infected letters to politicians and media bosses in the United States today is regarded as a "terrorist" and is described as "evil" and "cowardly"?

Well, by now the reason why an act of terror is sometimes called "terrorism" and sometimes isn't should be obvious. If someone we don't like does it to us, it's terrorism; if we do it to someone else, it isn't.

Back