Serious What would happen to Washington, DC if attacked by a nuclear bomb? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

H82Go8675309

š‰š«
The US has nuclear intercept abilities now.
If you mean AEGIS, GMD... it has a failed record w/testing & only 53% success of intercept.
40% of Russias nukes can't travel more than 300 miles tho.
From space they can launch the "Bomber" which has a payload of 2 dozen nuclear warheads. I don't know the yield but, doubt they would ever use it.

Russellmark11

Mcsnacks
Of the remaining sixty percent, pretend they launch it all. Are we really going to be able to intercept all of those? I doubt it. Even then, if they're detonated high enough it'll cast an EMP over North America.

That's enough to knock out electricity and the supply chains. Would take some time to recover from that.
Russia's nuclear bombs are stored in 12 military facilities and would need to be transported and loaded into either aircraft or launchers for deployment. So the US would be aware that something was about to happen and would be able to stop the threat.
The US has been insulating their infastructure since 2020 so that it's shielded from EMP threats. There is even a Electromagnetic Defense Task Force. And an executive order called Coordinating National Resilience to Electromagnetic Pulse.

Guipago

Forum Veteran
https://www.recna.nagasaki-u.ac.jp/recna/bd/files/01_russia2021_list_en.pdf

Russia's nuclear bombs are stored in 12 military facilities and would need to be transported and loaded into either aircraft or launchers for deployment. So the US would be aware that something was about to happen and would be able to stop the threat.
The US has been insulating their infastructure since 2020 so that it's shielded from EMP threats. There is even a Electromagnetic Defense Task Force. And an executive order called Coordinating National Resilience to Electromagnetic Pulse.
You'd better read up on the facts, Russian nukes are in/on silos, submarines & ships (ready to rock & roll) transport trucks (pre-loaded roaming all over Russia) some are liquid propellent (those you see getting fueled) some are solid propellent (ready to R & R) All are bad news. follow the pdf down & it shows what each bangstick can do & it's range.

Dirlwanger

Revolt Against the Modern World
40% of Russias nukes can't travel more than 300 miles tho.
300 miles? :ahahaha: Therefore, according to your vast knowledge regarding nuclear energy, a nation built 40% of its nukes to nuke themselves.

That makes sense.
0cac4b0df2a772e9f4dbeef0e76bfee7.gif

Russellmark11

Mcsnacks
https://www.recna.nagasaki-u.ac.jp/recna/bd/files/01_russia2021_list_en.pdf

You'd better read up on the facts, Russian nukes are in/on silos, submarines & ships (ready to rock & roll) transport trucks (pre-loaded roaming all over Russia) some are liquid propellent (those you see getting fueled) some are solid propellent (ready to R & R) All are bad news. follow the pdf down & it shows what each bangstick can do & it's range.
Here's updated version:

999 strategic warheads, along with 1,816 nonstrategic warheads, are held in reserves. 1,674 strategic warheads are deployed on ballistic missiles and at heavy bomber bases.
Nuclear Notebook counts weapons stored at bomber bases that can quickly be loaded onto the aircraft as ā€œdeployed.ā€
Russia appears to have approximately 312 nuclear-armed ICBMs, which can carry up to 1,197 warheads.
Satellite imagery suggests, however, that the necessary infrastructure upgrades have only taken place at a small number of silos and are still ongoing. As a result, given the time it took to complete the upgrades of the first two regiments at Kozelsk, it remains uncertain whether the Yars upgrade will be fully completed by 2024 as scheduled.
After years of manufacturing and technical delaysā€”reportedly having to do with the missileā€™s command moduleā€”the first Sarmat flight test took place in April 2022. As of April 2023, only one additional test had reportedly taken place and, according to US officials, likely ended in failure. The number of missiles in the Russian ICBM force will continue to decrease because of arms control agreements, aging missiles, and resource constraints. Russia planned to conduct at least 10 ICBM launches in 2022, but only managed to conduct four. Submarines have a total number of warheads they can carry at around 640.

300 miles? :ahahaha: Therefore, according to your vast knowledge regarding nuclear energy, a nation built 40% of its nukes to nuke themselves.

That makes sense.
View attachment 766065
They are called non-strategic with a 350 km range. And are used by ground forces like surface-to-air, you know like a defense system. The US uses kinetic hit-to-kill defense systems.
Non-strategic are also used for their fighter bombers. But most are used by the Russian Navy.

There is also the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons (w/93 signatories + 70 state parties) representing how "No Nukes" countries feel & more recently, the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear weapons.
I read more recently though ~7 countries have ordered more nuclear WMDs. As for the START I Treaty, "scaling down" just slowed the acquisition of more to make everyone less nervous & that's if USA & Russia are even telling the truth.
In the end, Russia has more nukes than us so I guess these treaties are ultimately worthless & I live in a first strike city. ā˜¹
The US has more nuclear weapons deployed than Russia.
And Putin has said many times "Our nuclear weapons doctrine does not provide for a preemptive strike.ā€ Rather, he continued, ā€œour concept is based on a reciprocal counter strike . . . This means that we are prepared and will use nuclear weapons only when we know for certain that some potential aggressor is attacking Russia, our territory."

Last edited:

Preacher

Forum Veteran
Of the remaining sixty percent, pretend they launch it all. Are we really going to be able to intercept all of those? I doubt it. Even then, if they're detonated high enough it'll cast an EMP over North America.

That's enough to knock out electricity and the supply chains. Would take some time to recover from that.

Without a doubt USA cannot intercept all of them and without a doubt there would be no recovery possible either. USA would be 100% devastated. But at the same time it would be also the destruction of Russia.

It will never happen, both countries know that a nuclear encounter ends in mutual destruction. They are clear about it, which is also why although they wet their ears with each other they do not (and will not) fight directly but through different proxy wars/countries.

Ps. If time shows that I was wrong all GG members are invited to live and have a party every day in my house....

Last edited:

bigbopper

ā€œThe apple doesnā€™t fall far from the Newtonā€
Absolutely. Listened to just about all of em. Some incredible guests and thought provoking discussions.
Yeah man, thatā€™s it 100%!
I was surprised to see that he had Annie Jacobsen on just yesterday.
Lexā€™s style of interview is just so good at getting all sorts of info from his guests!
I find myself mindblown at the people he can attract;
Hopefully he can jig it and get that interview with putin in Russianā€¦
Or a debate with elon and Sam altman hahah

3ldiabloross0

Forum Veteran
Annie was really good. Always nice to hear a true journalist speak like her.
not a fan of Elon, I think Sam Altman is a weird one but Iā€™d choose him over Elon who I think is a vapourware salesman.
too many good ones to list.
but Iā€™ll try anyway
teddy atlas was superb.
joscha bach makes me feel really dumb, so does Eric Weinstein
balaji srinivasian is a genius.
Michael levin and his flatworms.
i Hope he does get to speak to Putin or Zelenskyy it would really,boost his [already large] profile.

bigbopper

ā€œThe apple doesnā€™t fall far from the Newtonā€
Annie was really good. Always nice to hear a true journalist speak like her.
not a fan of Elon, I think Sam Altman is a weird one but Iā€™d choose him over Elon who I think is a vapourware salesman.
too many good ones to list.
but Iā€™ll try anyway
teddy atlas was superb.
joscha bach makes me feel really dumb, so does Eric Weinstein
balaji srinivasian is a genius.
Michael levin and his flatworms.
i Hope he does get to speak to Putin or Zelenskyy it would really,boost his [already large] profile.
Ah, I just feel that we as a species are at the mercy of these technophiles - itā€™s less ā€˜do I like themā€™ and more, Iā€™d rather see what theyā€™re thinking/doingā€¦ we are their passengers, after all.
Sam is very weird, but not as weird as the zuck!
I watched teddy atlas; that part about him sticking the gun in Tysonā€™s face!
Itā€™s those personal detailsā€¦ they get me every time!
Iā€™ve always got time for him, it made me laugh when he told the zuck that he has emotions and feels, just sort of doesnā€™t express them as vividlyā€¦
Speaks to an idea that as a personā€™s intelligence and reliance on logic increases the influence and sort of, lucidity of emotion kind of decreasesā€¦ but doesnā€™t leave entirely.

- working to get my 10 comments, Iā€™m thinking of starting some kind of philosophy thread :)

toxicologist

Human Rage
NY Post-What would happen to Washington, DC if attacked by a nuclear bomb?
By
Social Links forAnnie Jacobsen
Published March 23, 2024, 6:00 p.m. ET
GettyImages-568877743.jpg
The distinctive "mushroom cloud" of an atomic bomb rises over the earth with heat so searing it instantly turns human skin into char. This is the terrifying scenario laid out in the new book "Nuclear War" which details a fictitious nuclear attack on Washington, DC.Getty Images
As two regional wars now rage with no clear ending, the world is closer than it has been in decades to the specter of nuclear conflict. And with it, the potential for billions to perish at the touch of a trigger. Such scenarios are nothing new, but for a new generation raised amid ongoing nuclear disarmament efforts, the reality of nuclear war is as misunderstood as it is catastrophic. Author Annie Jacobsen, a Pulitzer Prize-finalist, reveals the stark truths about the power and potential of a nuclear attack in her new book ā€œNuclear War: A Scenario,ā€ released this week by Dutton. Armed specifically declassified documents and deep and unprecedented access to major military players ā€” from former Defense Secretary Leon Panetta to nuclear-weapons designer Richard L. Garwin ā€” Jacobsen describes a fictional nuclear attack on the Pentagon. with rich and alarming precision. The resulting writing is both terrifying and thrilling ā€” a lens into a future every politician should endeavor to prevent.
technologies-safeguards-plans-risks-78686814.jpg
Annie Jacobsen
Hell on Earth. Washington, DC, Possibly Sometime in the Near Future
A 1-megaton thermonuclear weapon detonation begins with a ļ¬‚ash of light and heat so tremendous it is impossible for the human mind to comprehend. One hundred and eighty million degrees Fahrenheit is four or ļ¬ve times hotter than the temperature at the center of the sun.

In the ļ¬rst fraction of a millisecond after the bomb strikes the Pentagon, there is light. Soft X-ray light with a very short wavelength. The light superheats the surrounding air to millions of degrees, creating a massive ļ¬re-ball that expands at millions of miles per hour. Within seconds, this ļ¬reball increases to a diameter of a little more than a mile, its light and heat so intense that concrete surfaces explode, metal objects melt or evaporate, stone shatters, humans instantaneously convert into combusting carbon. The ļ¬ve-story, ļ¬ve-sided structure and everything inside its 6.5 million square feet of office space explodes into superheated dust; all 27,000 Pentagon employees perishing instantly.

Not a single thing in the ļ¬reball remains. Nothing. Ground zero is zeroed.

24PS.wash_-1.jpg
A nuclear attack on the Pentagon would see little left standing among nearby iconic Washington, DC, landmarks.NY Post
Traveling at the speed of light, the radiating heat from the ļ¬reball ignites everything ļ¬‚ammable several miles out in every direction. Curtains, paper, books, wood fences, peopleā€™s clothing, dry leaves explode into ļ¬‚ames and become kindling for a great ļ¬restorm that begins to consume a 100-or-more-square-mile area that was home to some 6 million people.
Northwest of the Pentagon, all 639 acres of Arlington National Cemetery ā€” including the visitors paying respects on this early spring afternoon, the groundskeepers mowing the lawn and the white-gloved members of the Old Guard keeping watch over the Tomb of the Unknowns ā€” are instantly transformed into combusting and charred human ļ¬gurines Those incinerated are spared the unprecedented horror that begins to be inļ¬‚icted on the 1 to 2 million more gravely injured people not yet dead in this ļ¬rst nuclear strike.
2008-defense-department-install-solar-75048403.jpg
If hit by a nuclear weapon, the Pentagon would see its entire structure ā€” and its 27,000 workers ā€” completely disintegrate amid horrific heat in an instant.AP
Across the Potomac River, the marble walls and columns of the Lincoln and Jefferson memorials super-heat, burst apart, and disintegrate. The steel and stone bridges and highways connecting the surrounding environs heave and collapse. To the south, the Fashion Centre at Pentagon City is obliterated. Ceiling joists, two-by-fours, escalators, chandeliers, rugs, furniture, mannequins, dogs, squirrels, people burst into ļ¬‚ames and burn.
Three seconds pass. Thereā€™s a baseball game going on at Nationals Park. The clothes on a majority of the 35,000 visitors catch on ļ¬re. Those who donā€™t quickly burn to death suffer intense third-degree burns, their bodies stripped of the outer layer of skin. Third-degree burns require immediate specialized care to prevent death. Here inside the park there might be a few thousand people who somehow survive initially, people now desperately in need of a bed at a burn treatment center. But all of them are almost certainly now destroyed.
old-guard-takes-part-annual-11716282.jpg
Arlington National Cemetery would be immediately destroyed with nothing left of its 639-acres in the event of a nuclear attack on Washington, DC.REUTERS
Within seconds, thermal radiation from this nuclear bomb attack on the Pentagon has deeply burned the skin on roughly 1 million more people, 90% of whom will die. Defense scientists and academics alike have spent decades doing this math. Most wonā€™t make it more than a few steps from where they happen to be standing when the bomb detonates. They become what civil defense experts referred to in the 1950s, when these gruesome calculations ļ¬rst came to be, as ā€œDead When Found.ā€ Humans created the nuclear weapon in the 20th century to save the world from evil, and now, in the 21st century, the nuclear weapon is about to burn it all down.

The science behind the bomb is profound. Embedded in the thermonuclear ļ¬‚ash of light are two pulses of thermal radiation. The ļ¬rst pulse lasts a fraction of a second, after which comes the second pulse, which lasts several seconds and causes human skin to ignite and burn. The intense heat that follows creates a high-pressure wave that moves out from its center point like a tsunami, a giant wall of highly compressed air traveling faster than the speed of sound. It mows people down, hurls others into the air, bursts lungs and eardrums, sucks bodies up and spits them out.
replicas-two-atomic-bombs-little-72372285.jpg
Replicas of Little Boy and Fat Man, the two nuclear bombs dropped on Japan at the end of World Ward II. Todayā€™s nuclear missiles are vastly more powerful.Corbis via Getty Images
As the nuclear ļ¬reball grows, this shock front delivers catastrophic destruction, pushing out like a bulldozer and moving three miles farther ahead. The air behind the blast wave accelerates, creating several-hundred-mile-per-hour winds. It destroys everything in its immediate path, instantly changing the physical shapes of engineered structures including office buildings, apartment complexes, monuments and museums ā€” they disintegrate and become dust. That which is not crushed by blast is torn apart by whipping wind. Buildings collapse, bridges fall, cranes topple over. Objects as small as computers and cement blocks, and as large as 18-wheeler trucks and double-decker tour buses, become airborne like tennis balls.
gnu-head-permission-granted-copy-78687801.jpg
A graphic detailing how a nuclear weapon works.Wikipedia
The nuclear ļ¬reball rises up like a hot-air balloon. Up from the earth it ļ¬‚oats, at a rate of 250 to 350 feet per second. Thirty-ļ¬ve seconds pass. The formation of the iconic mushroom cloud begins, its massive cap and stem, made up of incinerated people and civilizationā€™s debris, transmutes from a red, to an brownish-orange hue. Next comes the deadly reverse suction effect, with objects ā€” cars, people, light poles, street signs, parking meters, steel carrier beams ā€” getting sucked back into the center of the burning inferno and consumed by ļ¬‚ame.

Sixty seconds pass. The cap stretches out some 30 miles. Radioactive particles rain down on the Earth and its people as deadly fallout. More than a million are dead or dying. Less than two minutes have passed. Now the inferno begins, different from the initial ļ¬reball; it is a mega-ļ¬re beyond measure. Gas lines explode one after the next, spewing steady streams of ļ¬re. Tanks containing ļ¬‚ammable materials burst open. Chemical factories explode. Pilot lights on water heaters and furnaces act like torch lighters, setting anything not already burning alight. Collapsed buildings become like giant ovens. People, everywhere, burn alive.
warm-weather-causes-fog-rise-78687772.jpg
A nuclear attack on the Pentagon would see nearby landmarks like Jefferson Memorial to be completely obliterated in a matter of moments.Getty Images
Open gaps in ļ¬‚oors and roofs behave like chimneys. Carbon dioxide from the ļ¬restorms sinks down and settles into the metroā€™s subway tunnels, asphyxiating riders in their seats. People seeking shelter in basements and other spaces below ground vomit, convulse, become comatose, and die. Anyone aboveground who is looking directly at the blast ā€” in some cases as far as 13 miles away ā€” becomes blinded.
photo-hulton-archive-getty-images-78687675.jpg
The ruins of Nagasaki in the wake of the US attack in 1945; some 40,000 locals are estimated to have died in the bombing. Far more would perish today.Getty Images

Seven and a half miles out from ground zero (in the 5 psi zone), cars and buses crash into one another. Asphalt streets turn to liquid from the intense heat, trapping survivors as if caught in molten lava. Hurricane-force winds fuel hundreds of ļ¬res into thousands of ļ¬res, into millions of them. Hot burning ash and ļ¬‚aming wind-borne debris ignite new ļ¬res, and one after another they conļ¬‚ate. All of Washington, DC, becomes one complex ļ¬restorm. A mega-inferno. Soon to become a mesocyclone of ļ¬re. Eight, maybe nine minutes pass.
1990s-uss-pennsylvania-united-states-78688113.jpg
It takes as little as 10 minutes for a nuclear weapon launched from a submarine to strike any city in the United States.ClassicStock

Ten miles out from ground zero, survivors shuffle in shock like the almost dead. Unsure of what just happened, desperate to escape. Tens of thousands of people here have ruptured lungs. Crows, sparrows, and pigeons ļ¬‚ying over-head catch on ļ¬re and drop from the sky as if it is raining birds.

The localized electromagnetic pulse of the bomb obliterates all radio, internet, and TV. Thereā€™s no electricity. No phone service. No 911. Cars with electric ignition systems in a several-mile ring outside the blast zone cannot restart. Water stations canā€™t pump water. Saturated with lethal levels of radiation, the entire area is a no-go zone for ļ¬rst responders. Not for days will rare survivors realize help was never on the way. Those who somehow manage to escape death by the initial blast, shock wave, and ļ¬restorm suddenly comprehend an insidious truth about nuclear war. That theyā€™re entirely on their own.
victim-american-atomic-bombing-hiroshima-78687685.jpg
Horrific burn victims from the nuclear attacks on Japan in 1945.Getty Images

How, and why, do US defense scientists know such hideous things, and with exacting precision? How does the US government know so many nuclear effectsā€“related facts, while the general public remains blind? The answer is as grotesque as the questions themselves because, for all these years, since the end of World War II, the US government has been preparing for, and rehearsing plans for, a General Nuclear War. A nuclear World War III that is guaranteed to leave, at minimum, 2 billion dead.
technologies-safeguards-plans-risks-78686813.jpg
Author Annie Jacobsen. Photo: Hilary JonesAnnie Jacobsen
Adapted from ā€œNuclear War: A Scenario,ā€ by Anne M. Jacobsen. Copyright Ā© 2024 by Anne Jacobsen Published by Dutton, an imprint of Penguin Random House. Excerpted by permission.
Itā€™s crazy how humans managed to create such a thing 4/5 times hotter than the sun. It even burns you and leaves your shadow on the ground.

God'sMan

Well Known Member
Nuclear bombs are a deep fake. The reason of which Iran is having so much problem going nuclear because it is impossible. Nuclear is just a coverup for an entirely different technology all together.

Back