Users who are viewing this thread

Animal Eyes

Racist bastard is a dullard
The man who designed the tank should have to bury every fish by hand, just as the Nazis had to bury the Jews after the camps were liberated.

Grand Mal Caesar

1984+Idiocracy=Reality
Yeah. I went on a bit of a nerd mission looking into the thickness of the acrylic glass used in aquariums. The viewing tunnels we walk through in the Sea World type places seem to be 6.5 to 12cm thick, but then they have the benefit of being an arch under the weight of the water which increases force bearing capacity. Also, those tunnels usually have less depth above them with a larger surface area so the weight is spread differently.

No doubt the engineers modelled this carefully, but it was a brave design.
The article says temperatures got down to 10 degrees Celsius (14 degrees Fahrenheit). It seems kind of crazy that the tank would be exposed to outside temperatures that cold while the water was heated to whatever temperature the fish needed. I am curious to see how the difference in temperatures factored in with the pressure of the water.

I Ripyourfaceoff

I'M "RIPPY", I'LL CALL YOU, DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH
WHOLLY FUCIN MERMAIDS OUT TA LUNCH..............WHAT A FRIEKIN MESS ...............BBC SAID SOME PEOPLE WERE ACTUALLY IN THE BUILDING NEAR THE TANK WHEN IT EXPLODED AND THEY GOT FUCKED UP WITH SHARDS OF GLASS OR LEXAN OR WHAT EVER THE FUCK IT IS.....................
NO GORE PHOTOS.

Dr. Acid Avatar

★★★ПСИХ★★★
No footage of this wonderfully awful incident from their own building cams?

C'mon, cams are pretty much everywhere! Even the malls have them!

badangel7

i'm a cyborg
that tank was a feat of engineering but a crime against physics
i'm glad they didn't have dolphins in there

Wacom

S.E.T.I.

Berlin AquaDom Aquarium Bursts

Dec. 16, 2022, Berlin, Germany:

A huge aquarium in Berlin burst, spilling debris, water and hundreds of tropical fish out of the AquaDom tourist attraction in the heart of the German capital early Friday.

Police said parts of the building, which also contains a hotel, cafes and a chocolate store, were damaged as 1 million liters (264,000 gallons) of water poured from the aquarium shortly before 6 a.m. (0500 GMT). Berlin’s fire service said two people were slightly injured.

The company that owns the AquaDom, Union Investment Real Estate, said in a statement Friday afternoon that the reasons for the incident were “still unclear.”

Mayor Franziska Giffey said the tank had unleashed a “veritable tsunami” of water but the early morning timing had prevented far more injuries.

“Despite all the destruction, we were still very lucky,” she said. “We would have had terrible human damage” had the aquarium burst even an hour later, once more people were awake and in the hotel and the surrounding area, she said.

The website of the AquaDom described it as the biggest cylindrical tank in the world at 25 meters tall (82 feet tall), although Union Investment Real Estate clarified Friday that the tank portion of the attraction had a height of 14 meters (46 feet).

There was speculation freezing temperatures that got down to minus 10 degrees Celsius (14 degrees Fahrenheit) overnight caused a crack in the acrylic glass tank, which then exploded under the weight of the water. Police said they found no evidence of a malicious act.

Nearly all of the 1,500 fish that were inside at the time of the rupture died, the Berlin Mitte district government confirmed via Twitter, adding “a few fish at the bottom of the tank” could still be saved. Among the 80 types of fish it housed were blue tang and clownfish, two colorful species known from the popular animated movie “Finding Nemo.”

Source

*Note: Nemo has not yet been found.

1. Before.
View attachment 642387

View attachment 642388

View attachment 642389

View attachment 642390

5. After.
View attachment 642391

View attachment 642392

View attachment 642393

View attachment 642394