Burger King admits to finding traces of horse meat in patties (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

zombiegirl

Forum Veteran
Burger King has admitted finding small traces of horse DNA in the meat used for its burgers.

Following revelations that contaminated meat was being used by supplier Silvercrest to make its burgers, the fast food giant has been using approved suppliers from Germany and Italy as a precaution.

While Burger King’s own checks on meat in its restaurants were negative, four samples taken from the Silvercrest plant in Co Monaghan tested positive for horse DNA.

Irish authorities said that its investigations have traced filler product used in the burger processing facility to a supplier in Poland. It contained a mixture of beef and horse offcuts.
Burger King said the failure to deliver 100 per cent British and Irish beef patties was a violation of contracts, and said it would no longer be doing business with the firm.

Diego Beamonte, vice president, global quality, at Burger King Corporation, apologised to customers over the controversy.
“While the Food Safety Authority of Ireland has stated that this is not a food safety issue, we are deeply troubled by the findings of our investigation and apologise to our guests, who trust us to source only the highest quality 100 per cent beef burgers,” he said.
“Our supplier has failed us and in turn we have failed you. We are committed to ensuring that this does not happen again.”

The Silvercrest plant, part of the Larry Goodman owned ABP Food Group, has also lost contracts with supermarkets Tesco, Aldi and the Co-operative Group.

The Ballybay processing factory, closed since the scandal broke two weeks ago, employed 112 people.
Experts from the Food Standards Agency (FSA) told the Commons Environment Committee on Tuesday that they cannot be sure if the contaminated burgers were being sold for more than a year. At least 10 million burgers were put into storage following the scandal.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...s-of-horse-meat-in-their-patties-8476167.html

mrln

silent ghost
the only reason this is such a big deal is because horse meat is illegal in the u.s. if it were moose meat,it wouldnt be such a big deal,imo...

Charbaby

Aggressively passive amd recklessly impulsive....
the only reason this is such a big deal is because horse meat is illegal in the u.s. if it were moose meat,it wouldnt be such a big deal,imo...
Nope. Obama signed the bill either late '11 or early '12 to make horse slaughter & meat sales legal again.

Charbaby

I think its just more less frowned upon here is all. That and the fact that they advertise "all beef patties" to the public. I wonder what their burgers fat content is though when compaired to a Mcdonalds burger,seeing as how horse meat has almost no nutritional value esp when cooked a certain way. Probably made their food healthier & less fatty. Its still hypocritical on our part to frown upon horse slaughter & consumption and curse China & korea for them consuming dogs & cats though. People disagree with horse meat because we have mostly viewed them as pets. And "we don't eat our pets here blah blah..." We have now crossed that line between what we consider "livestock" and "companion" animals and can't bitch anymore. We are no better than China/Korea. May as well start eating dogs & cats too. =/

NightMare

My gift to you, a Nightmare of terror
I don't see what the big deal is. I grew up on horse meat and it really isn't much different than beef. We only think of it as taboo because a horse is more of a pet then a meat source. I wish the US would allow horse meat to be sold again, then maybe I could afford to eat steak again! I live so far out in the middle of no where I could eat plenty of horses and no one would ever know, and just maybe I have? Who really knows for sure??;)

Charbaby

I don't see what the big deal is. I grew up on horse meat and it really isn't much different than beef. We only think of it as taboo because a horse is more of a pet then a meat source. I wish the US would allow horse meat to be sold again, then maybe I could afford to eat steak again! I live so far out in the middle of no where I could eat plenty of horses and no one would ever know, and just maybe I have? Who really knows for sure??;)
Funny,that's almost exactly what I said above lol. Hell,maybe people wouldn't be so goddamned fat. Horse meats healthier than beef.
I still won't eat either of them though. Personally,if I can't stomach killing it,then I won't eat it lol.

bowhaze

Zeitgeist
I'm curious about that, is there a law against horse meat in the US? I thought there would only be a law against the consume of it for Jewish or Islamic people (going back to their beliefs).

mrln

silent ghost
Nope. Obama signed the bill either late '11 or early '12 to make horse slaughter & meat sales legal again.
well thanks for correcting me. see its shit like that the media doesnt make public. i wouldve remembered hearing that. also the public wouldve made a big fuckin stink about it. "glue,dog food,now human consumption. ban horsemeat" fags.... :lulz:

bowhaze

Zeitgeist
aaah humanity is weird.. let's eat rocks.
eat-rocks_466689.jpg

NightMare

Funny,that's almost exactly what I said above lol. Hell,maybe people wouldn't be so goddamned fat. Horse meats healthier than beef.
I still won't eat either of them though. Personally,if I can't stomach killing it,then I won't eat it lol.
We posted at the same time! How funny is that? I see you have found that it is legal again, thank you for that information. I did not know that it was again legal so now that I know, I seem to have a few horses running around my place that eat to much, maybe it is time to turn the tables!

b2ux

Banned
This user was banned

MOST KIDS THAT WENT TO SCHOOLS IN THE 50'S THROUGH THE 70'S YOU ATE HORSE MEAT.....

Charbaby

And even though it was "illegal" here in the states,all we did was round em up and ship em across the border to Mexico to be slaughtered and sold. Its stupid.

NightMare

MOST KIDS THAT WENT TO SCHOOLS IN THE 50'S THROUGH THE 70'S YOU ATE HORSE MEAT.....
Yeah, there was that too. We lived on a farm too, so any horse not pulling his weight got put in the freezer. We also were able to buy it at the market too. My mom would buy horse meat for 10c a pound when beef was $1.50 a pound. We ate a lot of horse......

Back