Canada: 11 Dead in Van Crash (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Eleven people have died in a collision in a rural community west of Kitchener

Hampstead, Ontario: Feb. 6, 2012

Three people were also critically injured in the incident between a flatbed truck and a large passenger van carrying 13 migrant workers.

This crash comes on an already deadly day on Ontario roadways. Four other people were killed in separate crashes around the province.

One victim was airlifted to a Hamilton hospital, while the other two were rushed to a Stratford hospital.

No details were immediately available about their condition.

"I've been on the job for 28 years and I've never seen anything quite like this collision tonight, with 11 people killed in the one crash. Because of that, we also have critical incident stress people here for both the fire, the police and the other emergency services on scene," said Insp. Steve Porter, Perth County OPP.

The crash occurred at 4:51 p.m. ET at an intersection near Hampstead, Ont. Earlier reports suggested the accident occurred in Shakespeare.

Police say the passenger van was travelling west on Line 47 when it was hit by the truck, which was headed southbound on Perth Road 107.

A witness told CityNews the truck T-boned the van. The truck driver was among the 11 dead.

The CEO of Speedy Transport released a statement saying one of its truck drivers was the one killed in the crash, though he did not release the driver's name. Jared Martin said he was told by provincial police that the van failed to stop at the stop sign and was hit by the Speedy Transport vehicle.

The transport driver tried to swerve but couldn't avoid the van, Martin said.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with our driver's family and the families of the other victims involved in this horrible tragedy," he said.

Perth County OPP says the maximum occupancy of the passenger van is 15. It's not clear at this point is all of the occupants were wearing seatbelts.

Witnesses say crews were seen lifting large pieces of the truck off of the victims.

"The whole vehicle was smashed and they were taking it apart, trying to get the bodies out…lifting pieces of the truck off," said witness John Epps.

Premier Dalton McGuinty spoke out on the tragedy.

"It is with great sadness that I learned today of the tragic auto accident in Hampstead that has taken so many lives.

On behalf of 13 million Ontarians, I want to offer our deepest condolences to those who lost a loved one and to offer our most sincere prayers for those taken to hospital.

We also thank the first responders who provided compassionate emergency care under very difficult circumstances. I know Ontarians will pull together to support the victims' family and friends during this difficult time," he said in a statement.

Canada's worst road accident took place in Quebec in October 1997. A chartered bus taking a group of senior citizens on a tour plunged over a 20-metre embankment near the town of St-Joseph-de-la-Rive, killing 43 of the 48 people on board.

With files from The Canadian Press

Source
Set 1.

11-dead-migrant-worker-van-truck-crash1-Ontario-Canada-feb6-12.jpg11-dead-migrant-worker-van-truck-crash2-Ontario-Canada-feb6-12.jpg11-dead-migrant-worker-van-truck-crash3-Ontario-Canada-feb6-12.jpg11-dead-migrant-worker-van-truck-crash4-Ontario-Canada-feb6-12.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Set 2.

11-dead-migrant-worker-van-truck-crash6-Ontario-Canada-feb6-12.jpg
11-dead-migrant-worker-van-truck-crash7-Ontario-Canada-feb6-12.jpg
11-dead-migrant-worker-van-truck-crash8-Ontario-Canada-feb6-12.jpg
11-dead-migrant-worker-van-truck-crash5-Ontario-Canada-feb6-12.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
It has been determined that the driver of the van, driving on a rural road that crossed/intersected a thoroughfare highway (which the truck was on) ran a stop sign.

Set 3.

11-dead-migrant-worker-van-truck-crash9-Ontario-Canada-feb6-12.jpg
11-dead-migrant-worker-van-truck-crash10-Ontario-Canada-feb6-12.jpg
11-dead-migrant-worker-van-truck-crash11-Ontario-Canada-feb6-12.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Ya, it seems that the van stopped within a foot the house. Not sure though if it is an occupied house but is still amazing that the van was pushed that far from the road and then stops just short of plowing down a wall.

Wacom

S.E.T.I.
Eleven people have died in a collision in a rural community west of Kitchener

Hampstead, Ontario: Feb. 6, 2012

Three people were also critically injured in the incident between a flatbed truck and a large passenger van carrying 13 migrant workers.

This crash comes on an already deadly day on Ontario roadways. Four other people were killed in separate crashes around the province.

One victim was airlifted to a Hamilton hospital, while the other two were rushed to a Stratford hospital.

No details were immediately available about their condition.

"I've been on the job for 28 years and I've never seen anything quite like this collision tonight, with 11 people killed in the one crash. Because of that, we also have critical incident stress people here for both the fire, the police and the other emergency services on scene," said Insp. Steve Porter, Perth County OPP.

The crash occurred at 4:51 p.m. ET at an intersection near Hampstead, Ont. Earlier reports suggested the accident occurred in Shakespeare.

Police say the passenger van was travelling west on Line 47 when it was hit by the truck, which was headed southbound on Perth Road 107.

A witness told CityNews the truck T-boned the van. The truck driver was among the 11 dead.

The CEO of Speedy Transport released a statement saying one of its truck drivers was the one killed in the crash, though he did not release the driver's name. Jared Martin said he was told by provincial police that the van failed to stop at the stop sign and was hit by the Speedy Transport vehicle.

The transport driver tried to swerve but couldn't avoid the van, Martin said.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with our driver's family and the families of the other victims involved in this horrible tragedy," he said.

Perth County OPP says the maximum occupancy of the passenger van is 15. It's not clear at this point is all of the occupants were wearing seatbelts.

Witnesses say crews were seen lifting large pieces of the truck off of the victims.

"The whole vehicle was smashed and they were taking it apart, trying to get the bodies out…lifting pieces of the truck off," said witness John Epps.

Premier Dalton McGuinty spoke out on the tragedy.

"It is with great sadness that I learned today of the tragic auto accident in Hampstead that has taken so many lives.

On behalf of 13 million Ontarians, I want to offer our deepest condolences to those who lost a loved one and to offer our most sincere prayers for those taken to hospital.

We also thank the first responders who provided compassionate emergency care under very difficult circumstances. I know Ontarians will pull together to support the victims' family and friends during this difficult time," he said in a statement.

Canada's worst road accident took place in Quebec in October 1997. A chartered bus taking a group of senior citizens on a tour plunged over a 20-metre embankment near the town of St-Joseph-de-la-Rive, killing 43 of the 48 people on board.

With files from The Canadian Press

Source
Set 1.

View attachment 38584View attachment 38585View attachment 38586View attachment 38587
Huh, ...rarely we see accidents, or gore coming from Canada.

Huh, ...rarely we see accidents, or gore coming from Canada.
Canada has some of the worst gore stories. The Grey Hound bus incident in 2008 where somebody got decapitated unprovoked and had their face eaten off and the 1 Lunatic 1 Ice Pick incident in 2012 where the killer later sent body parts to elementary schools and the police stations.

Wacom

S.E.T.I.
Canada has some of the worst gore stories. The Grey Hound bus incident in 2008 where somebody got decapitated unprovoked and had their face eaten off and the 1 Lunatic 1 Ice Pick incident in 2012 where the killer later sent body parts to elementary schools and the police stations.
any links to those?

Back