Lagos: Plane Crash ~ No Survivors (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Rescue teams search Lagos plane crash wreckage

June 3, 2012 (updated June 4, 2012)

AP - Emergency workers in Nigeria fought fires and searched for corpses through the night in a neighborhood that an airliner plowed into, killing all 153 on board. Rescue officials said Monday they fear many people may have perished on the ground too.

After pilots reported engine trouble, the Boeing MD-83 of Dana Air crashed into businesses and crowded apartment buildings near Lagos’ Murtala Muhammed International Airport on Sunday, the worst air disaster in Nigeria in nearly two decades.

“The fear is that since it happened in a residential area, there may have been many people killed,” said Yushau Shuaib, a spokesman for Nigeria’s National Emergency Management Agency.

The cause of the crash remained unclear Monday. The pilots radioed to the Lagos control tower just before the crash, reporting engine trouble, a military official said. The official spoke on condition of anonymity as he was not authorized to speak to journalists.

Rescue workers searched for the aircraft’s black box recorders where flight data is stored, said Harold Demuren, the director-general of the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority.

The aircraft appeared to have landed on its belly amid clear, sunny skies onto the dense neighborhood that sits along the typical approach path taken by aircraft heading into Lagos’ Murtala Muhammed International Airport. The plane tore through roofs, sheared a mango tree and rammed into a woodworking studio, a printing press and at least two apartment buildings before stopping. The plane was heading to Lagos from Abuja, the capital, when it went down.

A white, noxious cloud rose from the crash site that burned onlookers’ eye. Pieces of the plane were scattered around the muddy ground.

While local residents helped carry fire hoses to the crash site, the major challenges of life in oil-rich Nigeria quickly became apparent as there wasn’t any water to put out the flames more than three hours later. Some young men carried plastic buckets of water to the fire. Fire trucks, from the very few that are stationed in Lagos state with a population of 17.5 million, couldn’t carry enough water. Officials commandeered water trucks from nearby construction sites, but narrow, crowded roads prevented them from reaching the crash site.

The dead included at least four Chinese citizens, the official Chinese news agency Xinhua reported late Sunday, citing Chinese diplomats in Nigeria. Officials at the Chinese embassy in Nigeria could not be reached for comment by the AP. Two of the crash victims were Lebanese, according to state-run Lebanon’s National News Agency. The NNA identified them as Nadim Chediac, an architect who has a Lebanese father and Nigerian mother, and Roger Awwad, an investor.

Nigeria, home to more than 160 million people, has a history of major aviation disasters, though in recent years there hasn’t been a crash. In August 2010, the U.S. announced it had given Nigeria the Federal Aviation Administration’s Category 1 status, its top safety rating that allows the West African nation’s domestic carriers to fly directly to the U.S.

But many travelers remain leery of some airlines. The country is beset by government corruption and mismanagement.

On Saturday night, a Nigerian Boeing 727 cargo airliner crashed in Accra, the capital of Ghana, slamming into a bus and killing 10 people. The plane belonged to Lagos-based Allied Air Cargo.

Lagos-based Dana Air, owned by the Indian corporation of the same name, has five aircraft in its fleet and runs both regional and domestic flights. Local media reported a similar Dana flight in May made an emergency landing at the Lagos airport after having a hydraulic problem.

Nigeria has tried to redeem its aviation image in recent years, saying it now has full radar coverage of the entire country. However, in a nation where the state-run electricity company is in tatters, the power grid and diesel generators sometimes both fail at airports, making radar screens go blank.

Sunday’s crash appeared to be the worst since September 1992, when a military transport plane crashed into a swamp shortly after takeoff from Lagos. All 163 army soldiers, relatives and crew members on board were killed.

Source

Images.

1. Photo of the actual Boeing MD 83, flight 0992, that crashed in Lagos. Reg #5N-RAM.
Dana-Air-Boeing-MD-83-Reg-5NRAM.jpg

2. Closeup (cropped from above image) of the Dana Air passenger planes registration number.
Dana-Air-Boeing-MD-83-Reg-5NRAM-tail.jpg

3. The crash site.
passenger-plane-crash1-Lagos-Nigeria-jun3-12.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
GIVE US CHARRED CORPSES.

Please and thank you.
That's what I've been yellin' since this story came out yesterday. Would think that with almost 200 dead that there'd be BODIES...but all I've come across so far is about 5 bodies; and only 3 where charred.

Forget world aid and rice and flour and plumbing and shit - send these people some decent digital cameras.

:Haplulz:

Eat Shit And Die

★Filthy European★
Here are some more from this crash.

1 (4).jpg

1 (6).jpg

1 (1).jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 487
  • 1 (2).jpg
    1 (2).jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 545
  • 1 (3).jpg
    1 (3).jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 560
  • 1 (5).jpg
    1 (5).jpg
    41 KB · Views: 561
  • 1 (7).jpg
    1 (7).jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 539
  • 1 (8).jpg
    1 (8).jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 562
  • 1 (9).jpg
    1 (9).jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 562
  • 1 (10).jpg
    1 (10).jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 578
  • 1 (11).jpg
    1 (11).jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 577
  • 1 (12).jpg
    1 (12).jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 563
  • 1 (14).jpg
    1 (14).jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 628
  • 1 (13).jpg
    1 (13).jpg
    24 KB · Views: 565
  • 1 (15).jpg
    1 (15).jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 578
  • 1 (17).jpg
    1 (17).jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 570
  • 1 (18).JPG
    1 (18).JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 561
  • 1 (19).jpg
    1 (19).jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 470

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Good pictures! You see more rubbernecks and looters then helpers..:-_^:
Yep, the looters move in very quickly, taking advantage of the overall chaos and lack of any perimeter control. Local townsfolk are usually on site way before any security officials or police arrive. When they do arrive it's too late to control the crowds until water cannon equipped trucks can arrive.

:fuckyeah:

Reactions: McM

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Jesus the assburn is strong with Bitchunfail.

We have been pointing out each others reports for two years DeathHand :p

Who rustled his jimmies :smirk:
Who's Bitchunfail and who's jimmies are getting rustled?

Seems that the original comment by Witch that I quoted above has been deleted...

Ah well, reposts don't both me - I usually thank the member for their post and then add a link to the OP.

I keep gore images out of the World News section and post them in the Gore Images section with a link to both. Bit of a pain but then the World News section would essentially become a gore images section of it's own with the same images being posted in both sub-categories.

:beer:

Eat Shit And Die

★Filthy European★
I think when I had originally added the extra content to this post I had not realised it was in the news section or I wouldn't have added, IIRC when I added I saw this post went to read more about it on google and found all those pics at a blog site and thought they belonged there, obviously over seeing that it was in news /facepalm :)

I wasn't insinuating u were jimmy rustle, but Witch seemed a to have his panties in a twist over me adding some content for whatever reason.

Anyway I love areial disasters and always look forwards to the next :beer:

Back