Last Movie You Watched..

D.O.A.

These are great days we're living, bros
was bored and ended up watching some bullshit movie on the PC with Liam Neeson and wolves trying to eat them... wasn't very good at all, fell asleep before it ended. 0/10

I watched Willard a couple nights ago. Really enjoyed it, was much better than I thought it would be and I really don't like Crispin Glover, but he was great. Loved the ending, it felt like a classic black and white film near the end.

Jon E(vil)

True gore artist.
Viva la muerte. (Long live death) 1971 France/Tunisia
7/10
...Ahhhh, shit, that was weird.
A violent surreal film about a young boy whose dad is arrested not long after the Spanish civil war.
The film has parts which are heavily saturated in one colour. That i figured after a while seems to be the 'day dreams' he having.
During the film it got pretty intense. Several scenes that stood out were a bloke having a part of the back of head shaved, cut and then it was 'cupped' (burning paper placed inside to pull the flesh) this was unedited scene, the cupping happened twice.
A kid cut the head of a beetle, quick scene of a sheep with its throat cut and then a pile of dead sheep.
Near the end was a stunner. A large bull has its throat cut and is bled out, the main actress then rolls around in the blood and a bloke dressed kinda like a priest is stiched inside the carcass.
Iv not seen this film listed alongside Cannibal holocaust or Men behind the sun due to the depictions of animal slaughter, i guess it too arty.

Jon E(vil)

True gore artist.
Deranged. 2012. South Korea.
7/10
Parasitic worm epidemic.
A good thriller about a gut bug that drives the host to consume food who then has a unstoppable thirst for water.
It sets the scene regarding the symptoms early on and slowly the sub plot about the pharmaceutical company and their involvement begins. There is parallels with the coronavirus and efforts to find a vaccine and who will control and profit off it.
It had some moments of drama but these were short lived. A well written plot but it seemed the main character was doing alot of running around with very pay off.

Jon E(vil)

True gore artist.
House of the disappeared. 2017. South Korea.
9/10
A house has a 'presence' that comes at a certain time every 25 years.
The film starts with a father found stabbed and the son disappearing behind a door that seems to conceal a wall. The wife is found guilty of murder and does 25 years. From there the film goes back and forth laying out the events and key characters from 25 years before while the now old wife is trying to piece it all together in the present.
Near the end of the film is when the past and present mesh and it becomes apparent what has happened and why, it's impressive they way they have written it. Falls into a ghost story drama for the final act.

Jon E(vil)

True gore artist.
Rampant. South Korea. 2018.
6/10
Historical drama with zombies.
A prince returns to take his sister-in-law to China and finds the place overrun with zombies.
The film was made in 2018 and the series Kingdom, a NETFLIX production was made in 2019. Basicly it's a shorter version of that.
During a historical time there is a zombie outbreak and a minister in the kings court has eyes on the throne. The kings son comes back to get his now dead brothers wife and is targeted by the lead minister. It's a slow build up and the powerplays are the main plot line. The zombies only come out at night and are therefore just a menace not the main problem. interesting film but slow with only bits of and pieces of horror or action.

Jon E(vil)

True gore artist.
#Alive. 2020. South Korea.
10/10
Zombies in a apartment building.
A young bloke and a young woman are trapped in their apartments in the middle of a zombie outbreak. The form a plan to escape.
Another excellent film using zombies in another unique setting. The bulk of the film features just the two actors, communicating and surviving various attacks as they venture out of there respective homes. The film kicked off within the few 5-10 minutes and there was really only one part in the middle where it seemed to slow down. It used the idea of confined narrow spaces like Train to Busan to good effect.

Jon E(vil)

True gore artist.
@Jon E(vil) Hi bud you seen Peninsula yet ? I’ve only found it in cam and I’m waiting for the better quality to come out.
I'm going to see it this Friday in the local theatre, only one screening.
If a decent copy comes up ill let you know.
I can definitly reccomend #Alive, good copy, although it has (maybe) chinese subs hardcoded, english is readable.
Saraitda was the korean title.

Jon E(vil)

True gore artist.
Peninsula. 2020. South Korea.
7/10
Zombies everywhere.
Taking place several years after the events depicted in Train to Busan, the whole of South Korea is overrun with zombies with only what seems to be a group of renegade soliders and a family comprising of Grandad, daughter and her two daughters.
A team is sent back to find a truck loaded with U.S. dollars for a criminal group from Hong Kong.
The film sets itself up with a reference to the fact a chemical plant caused the outbreak and there was a safe zone in Busan.
From there is moves at a resonable pace. Dramatic elements are present but so is some pretty wooden acting from a few white actors and a few cringe inducing lines in english from the Korean actors.
The film overall is a good watch, the zombies are gory and fast paced, the action is there. But it definitely looks like it playing to get a western audience. Which it sadly wont, because, "(Whine) I don't read subtitles (Whine)".
There is a overpowering soundtrack and the use of slow motion and 'key points' during action scenes.
The final act is mainly at night with ALOT of C.G.I. It reminded me of Mad Max fury road, but with computer cars.
Seoul Station and Train to Busan are classics, mainly because they were made to appeal to Korean horror fans.
Its a nice effort but sometimes appealing to your base can produce the best result.