Last Movie You Watched..

Ward Cleaver

Resident Expert Polymath
The Last Movie I Watched Was "The Godfather."

I've Watched It Several Times.

It's The Perfect American Movie...
Historical Americana...Excellent Acting...Excellent Writing....Excellent Directing...Excellent Cinematography...It's Truly The Perfect Movie.

My Three Favorite Movies Are As Follows...And I Watch Each One Periodically...

1) "The Godfather."

2) "Deliverance."

3) "No Country For Old Men."

Regards,
-Ward

Jon E(vil)

True gore artist.
Dune. 1984. Dir. David Lynch
7/10
Budget sci-fi game of thrones.
A Duke is murdered and his son assumes command of a tribe of dessert fighters.
Based a novel, Lynch's film has some impressive sets with what feels like a trimmed down story line. The constant 'internal thoughts' that can be heard seems to be there to add more detail but does get a little annoying.
Interested to what the first of the two movies sets up.

Jon E(vil)

True gore artist.
Des. 2020.
8/10
The trail of Denis Nilsen.
Based on the book by Brian Masters 'Killing for company' it's a three part mini series made for TV starring David Tennant as Des and shows Nilsen after he is arrested and his interactions with the police and Masters, Nilsen contacted the author to write his story and cover the trial.
I have read the book, as Masters says in the film, is not going to be a salacious read with graphic adjectives.
Its a clinical study of a man who, like the title suggests, killed for company. The book goes into great detail about Nilsens life and his attitude in general.
The series is good, but the book is excellent.

Jon E(vil)

True gore artist.
The bodyguard. 2016. Hong Kong.
6/10
A retired Central Security Bureau officer from Beijing with dementia protects a young girl.
The trailer sets it up as a action film, it isn't that at all, apart from a few scenes at the start most of what is seen happens near the end, but it is violent when it kicks in. Mostly its a drama about the large old guy.
There is a story line about his family and how about the little girls dad is in debt to gangsters, nice and slightly lighthearted but i found myself waiting for the inevitiable fight scenes. They didn't dissapoint.

Jon E(vil)

True gore artist.
Death of a Bureaucrat. 1966. Cuba.
8/10
A worker is buried with his union card.
When a man dies and the community see only fit that man as stoic as him is buried with his union card. When his widow and her nephew go to collect her pension they are told they need the card and that even thou he was buried only two days before they will need to wait two years. The plot progresses pretty fast as the start with the grave diggers helping him exhume the body at night.
From there the comedy of errors start as the casket ends up back at home and he now needs a form for the exhumation so he can rebury his uncle.
The film relies on the paper trials that were present before computers and online systems. Funny moments are plenty as he tries different ways to get the relevent forms, stamps and signatures.

Jon E(vil)

True gore artist.
Blue my mind. 2017. Germany.
7/10
Blue my mind is a coming of age film of a young girl about 15, 16 whose body is changing but not in a normal way.
It has what would be typical fodder for this type of film. The pressure to fit in with the 'hip girls', to please the older boys and push the limits. The transformation is gradual and only really occurs near the latter part of the film. It doesn't try to explain it and the parents, even thou they obviously know but don't mention it. Overall a nice drama but a bit slow.

Cuties (Mignonnes.) 2020. France.
6/10
A rather young black girl is stuck between in the cultural upbringing of her muslim religion with her mum and strict aunty, and living in France with its free western style attuide. She befriends a group of white girls and joins there 'dance group'.
The flatmate wanted to watch this film simply because she wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I got a overdubbed version and although not completly interested in it, i listened and watched while working on a picture.
It simply a good film, quirky and serious but not the horror fest that the onslaught of reaction would have you believe. At it's core, its a film about a clash of cultures and her attempt to fit in and stay onside with her family. It does present the fact that there is a culture of advertising aimed at children that aren't yet in there teens and they see it as simply a way to get attention. Blue my mind takes the attention seeking up a few notches because of the age group.
The whole reaction of "It's a film for men who like itty-bitty-titty!!!" is simply fucken moronic. But, spastics are allowed on the internet.
Netflix manufactured the outrage. They knew exactly what they were doing with that 'poster' and simple plot description, and without it nobody would have heard of or watched the film and for them that would have been a waste of money.

Jon E(vil)

True gore artist.
Blue collar. 1978.
6/10
Three auto plant workers break into the union headquarters and steal a safe, it contains little money but a notebook detailing big loans with high intrest rates to other companies.
They try to blackmail the Union.
Starring Richard Pryor, Yaphet Kotto, Harvey Keitel as the three workers. A slow but interesting drama that showed the power of the union and management and how if you try to go up against either of them, things won't end up OK.

Jon E(vil)

True gore artist.
The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue. 1974.
4/10
A machine designed to kill insects reanimates the dead.
Low budget zombie film with a wacky kinda plot that benefits from having slow zombies and practical effects. It takes a while to get going but there are couple of scenes where the 'zombies' are attacking survivours and it shows that they knew how to create tension and great effects. A run time of 90 mins, i lasted 70 before i hit the FF button.

Ralph666

Human Buzzard
Blue collar. 1978.
6/10
Three auto plant workers break into the union headquarters and steal a safe, it contains little money but a notebook detailing big loans with high intrest rates to other companies.
They try to blackmail the Union.
Starring Richard Pryor, Yaphet Kotto, Harvey Keitel as the three workers. A slow but interesting drama that showed the power of the union and management and how if you try to go up against either of them, things won't end up OK.

Interesting, l can't see RIchard Pryor in a drama