accident Man Smeared Across Ship's Deck under 305 Tons of Death! (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Fatal accident occurred on May 10, 2014 at Gulf Stream Marine, in Houston, Texas. (USA). The load was a 305-metric ton oil rig blowout preventer and stand. Utilizing two shipboard cranes for this lift, the blowout preventer is lowered into the cargo hold of the ship, where the stand would be welded to the deck to secure it during transit.

A pin in the spreader bar came out of its housing, causing the wire rope to disengage and the load broke free while workers were below. The employee’s legs were severed below his knees. He reportedly survived the injury long enough to say goodbye to his wife.

Demonstrating the lack of safety at this particular facility, Gulf Stream Marine was fined $7,000 (USD).

kesha13

don't do that
This user was banned
He would have been fine if he'd put his knee pads on.

StickyVelcroGelKneepadsinBlack_1_5000x.jpg

Reject

This user was banned
Fatal accident occurred on May 10, 2014 at Gulf Stream Marine, in Houston, Texas. (USA). The load was a 305-metric ton oil rig blowout preventer and stand. Utilizing two shipboard cranes for this lift, the blowout preventer is lowered into the cargo hold of the ship, where the stand would be welded to the deck to secure it during transit.

A pin in the spreader bar came out of its housing, causing the wire rope to disengage and the load broke free while workers were below. The employee’s legs were severed below his knees. He reportedly survived the injury long enough to say goodbye to his wife.

Demonstrating the lack of safety at this particular facility, Gulf Stream Marine was fined $7,000 (USD).

View attachment 614249

View attachment 614249
His own fault, wasn’t fast enough 🤷‍♂️

Rumplefor$kin86

Well Known Member
I like how it says "what you haven't seen" in the middle of that death trap.. fuck u never expect to die at work u can tell by there nonchalant body language. Me, Im skiddisg like a cat at work... rip dude

I worked in ship and oil rig building for a lot of years and was always careful around heavy loads but the shape of that structure, the height it was from the deck and the way it swung would have caught most people out.
We had a few fatalities and many injuries while I lived on ship in the navy. A NASSCO employee was flattened by an A.C. unit during construction in San Diego and several crush injuries from ordnance during UNREPs in heavy seas. Death is always watching and waiting for someone to fuck up.

Chief Queef

Last of the Mohicans
One of my coworkers previously worked at a concrete forming facility where a similar accident took place. They had to perform an on-site amputation on both legs in front of everyone. The guy was never heard from again and the concrete facility is still open. My coworker claimed that this shit happened all the time.

Back