Massive Stars Sound Warning They Are About To Go Supernova (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Cold Ethyl

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Astronomers from Liverpool John Moores University and the University of Montpellier have devised an ‘early warning’ system to sound the alert when a massive star is about to end its life in a supernova explosion. The work was published today (October 13, 2022) in Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.

In this new study, investigators determined that massive stars (typically between 8 and 20 solar masses) in the last phase of their lives, the so-called ‘red supergiant’ phase, will suddenly become around a hundred times fainter in visible light in the last few months before they die. This dimming is caused by a sudden accumulation of material around the star, which obscures its light.

Red supergiants are stars of spectral type K or M with a supergiant luminosity class (Yerkes class I). In terms of volume, they are the largest stars in the universe. However, they are not the most massive or luminous. Betelgeuse and Antares are the brightest and best-known red supergiants.
Until now, it was not known how long it took the star to accrete this material. For the first time, scientists have now simulated how red supergiants might look when they are embedded within these pre-explosion ‘cocoons’.

Old telescope archives show that images do exist of stars that went on to explode around a year after the image was taken. The stars appear as normal in these images, meaning they cannot yet have built up the theoretical circumstellar cocoon. This suggests that the cocoon is assembled in less than a year, which is considered to be extremely fast.

Benjamin Davies from Liverpool John Moores University, and lead author of the paper, says “The dense material almost completely obscures the star, making it 100 times fainter in the visible part of the spectrum. This means that, the day before the star explodes, you likely wouldn’t be able to see it was there.” He adds, “Until now, we’ve only been able to get detailed observations of supernovae hours after they’ve already happened. With this early-warning system we can get ready to observe them real-time, to point the world’s best telescopes at the precursor stars, and watch them getting literally ripped apart in front of our eyes

Flatus Tube

I have counted to infinity, twice.
I'm in the UK, it's always cloudy when something good happens in the sky

Yeah, all the decent meteor showers have been clouded over the whole time in recent years for me.

This past couple of months I have got some decent views of Jupiter and Saturn, and well as watching the ISS fly over.

This was Jupiter in a 12 O’Clock position just above an almost full moon on my son’s birthday (also Coco’s birthday)…

616CECAA-0E49-4757-B439-C281DEB0851F.jpeg

This is Jupiter so bright it could be seen in the dusk sky…

83B036C4-225A-4356-AF38-2648354FEF2A.jpeg

And this is the ISS…

210DD18B-72C5-45B7-BB67-F092B7D9D486.jpeg

PS thanks for this link @Cold Ethyl
I love the amazing shit that happens in the Universe.

Can'tSleep

Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
Yeah, all the decent meteor showers have been clouded over the whole time in recent years for me.

This past couple of months I have got some decent views of Jupiter and Saturn, and well as watching the ISS fly over.

This was Jupiter in a 12 O’Clock position just above an almost full moon on my son’s birthday (also Coco’s birthday)…

View attachment 621496

View attachment 621502

And this is the ISS…

View attachment 621494

Saw the ISS once myself. Bigger than I thought, and moved at a pretty good speed...but I guess 17,000 mph will do that.

Soppy_Cow

I'm one soppy cow!

View attachment 621496

View attachment 621502

And this is the ISS…

View attachment 621494

The image of Jupiter and ISS are just incredible!

So thank you SO much for those beautiful images!

My partner loves anything to do with astronomy - so he will certainly have something to say when I show him your photography.
Tell me (a completely unintellectual observer) how, when and where we can see these extraordinary sites?

I would ask my partner, but he is spark out atm!

Last edited:

Flatus Tube

I have counted to infinity, twice.

My partner loves anything to do with astronomy - so he will certainly have something to say when I show him your photography.
Tell me (a completely unintellectual observer) how, when and where we can see these extraordinary sites?

I cheat and use the Star Walk app to find what I’m looking at. There are various websites to find when ISS or other things in the sky will be visible. It’s also dependent on where you are in the world.

I’m in the UK so Jupiter has been really bright every night (looks like the largest star in the sky) in a roughly South East to South position for a couple of months. Saturn is further to the right in the sky compared to Jupiter and is not as bright. A year or two ago I could see Mars, Saturn and Jupiter in one go.

Guipago

Forum Veteran

stellarium.org has a free download that you can use to sticky beak the sky, it has click on things that let you use telescopes to enhance the stars.

Dr. Johnny Fever

aka Bill Murray
Space is awesome, I would definitely go if given the chance.
Can we see Uranus?

Humans are fucking amazing, how cool is it that we can capture such an event and that we can now successfully change the orbit of an asteroid....

What a time to be alive....
Meh, I'm jaded and don't particularly like NASA at the moment. They've become too woke with gender neutrality, forced racial integration, etc..

I like the 1950's & 1960's NASA....middle aged white men with short sleeved dress shirts, pocket protectors & slide rules. If they took on an asteroid they'd have sent a nuke, not just tried to bump it.

1665705246993.png

Last edited:

D.O.A.

We are Kings
Can we see Uranus?

Meh, I'm jaded and don't particularly like NASA at the moment. They've become too woke with gender neutrality, forced racial integration, etc..

I like the 1950's & 1960's NASA....middle aged white men with short sleeved dress shirts, pocket protectors & slide rules. If they took on an asteroid they'd have sent a nuke, not just tried to bump it.

View attachment 621586
NASA: the asteroid that was heading for America was successfully nuked into smaller peices that will burn up, fall harmlessly into the ocean or impact most of Europe.

Also NASA:

IMG_20221015_123921.jpg

Soppy_Cow

I'm one soppy cow!
I cheat and use the Star Walk app to find what I’m looking at. There are various websites to find when ISS or other things in the sky will be visible. It’s also dependent on where you are in the world.

I’m in the UK so Jupiter has been really bright every night (looks like the largest star in the sky) in a roughly South East to South position for a couple of months. Saturn is further to the right in the sky compared to Jupiter and is not as bright. A year or two ago I could see Mars, Saturn and Jupiter in one go.
Sorry for the late reply.

We're in the South East in the UK and Jupiter and Mars are prominent atm. And unless he pointed it out, I would have assumed it was a star.

I would love to see other images. :)

hedgerow

simpelton

View attachment 621496

View attachment 621502

And this is the ISS…

View attachment 621494

what type of a shithole do you live in

Humans are fucking amazing, how cool is it that we can capture such an event and that we can now successfully change the orbit of an asteroid....

What a time to be alive....
"humans are so fucking amazin". not you LAMO

Varmint Hunter

I'd go to hell just to shoot the Devil in the face
If the north or south polar axis of these stars happen to be aimed at us when they go kaboom, we are fucked. Gamma ray burst. Literally walking one second and dropping dead the next. And if you are riding the subway or something and the ground somewhat blunts the impact of the cosmic blast and 70% of the rays hit you, even worse. All of your body cells' DNA fried. You die slowly of acute radiation poisoning, already a walking corpse at moment of impact. There is evidence that some of the mysterious mass extinctions of early Earth life not caused by asteroid hits were actually caused by gamma ray bursts aimed at us.

If the north or south polar axis of these stars happen to be aimed at us when they go kaboom, we are fucked. Gamma ray burst. Literally walking one second and dropping dead the next. And if you are riding the subway or something and the ground somewhat blunts the impact of the cosmic blast and 70% of the rays hit you, even worse. All of your body cells' DNA fried. You die slowly of acute radiation poisoning, already a walking corpse at moment of impact. There is evidence that some of the mysterious mass extinctions of early Earth life not caused by asteroid hits were actually caused by gamma ray bursts aimed at us.
Ok, well. I had to erase my comment....nearly as long as yours.
You beat me to it. My hat is off to you.

Dave_63

As a species we are quite unpleasant.
This user was banned
Space is awesome, I would definitely go if given the chance.
You already have orbited the sun numerous times.

Back