fallen... a heartfelt thank you.

RIP

Tooly

Tier One
1963597677_97a0382c99_o.jpg

mrln

silent ghost
THIS WAS ON "HELPED BY ANIMALS" SITE
Today is Remembrance Sunday - I do not advocate war but Let us never forget all the Lives that have fallen enabling us to have the life we have today - Peace to all. ♥
Stubby served with the 102nd Infantry, 26th (Yankee) Division in the trenches in France for 18 months and participated in four offensives and 18 battles. He entered combat on February 5, 1918 at Chemin des Dames, north of Soissons, ...
and was under constant fire, day and night for over a month. In April 1918, during a raid to take Schieprey, Stubby was wounded in the foreleg by the retreating Germans throwing hand grenades. He was sent to the rear for convalescence, and as he had done on the front was able to improve morale. When he recovered from his wounds, Stubby returned to the trenches. After being gassed himself, Stubby learned to warn his unit of poison gas attacks, located wounded soldiers in no man's land, and — since he could hear the whine of incoming artillery shells before humans could — became very adept at letting his unit know when to duck for cover. He was solely responsible for capturing a German spy in the Argonne. Following the retaking of Château-Thierry by the US, the thankful women of the town made Stubby a chamois coat on which were pinned his many medals. There is also a legend that while in Paris with Corporal Conroy, Stubby saved a young girl from being hit by a car. At the end of the war, Conroy smuggled Stubby home. After returning home, Stubby became a celebrity and marched in, and normally led, many parades across the country. ♥

Back