animals Shake That Tail Feather (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

real_zfg

āŠ˜ š—§š—µš—¶š˜€ š˜‚š˜€š—²š—æ š—µš—®š˜€ š—½š—®š˜€š˜€š—²š—± š—®š˜„š—®š˜†
This user was banned
That's cute asf, adorable little fella šŸ˜

Punisher_1

This user was banned
Poor little thing has plucked most of its feathers; that's often due to stress and/or inadequate diet. Looks like a Goffin's Cockatoo. S/he is likely not being cared for properly. :(

The molt out is part of the growing process.

Molting is when a bird sheds old feathers to make way for new ones to facilitate efficient flight and courtship. It happens to parrots once or twice a year. Parrot needs to molt to make way for new plumage. They do it gradually from wings, body, and finally the tail feathers, but not all at once. This allows them to still be able fly even when they are molting. Molting can also occur only to certain feathers of the body, also known as partial molting. A molting season does not necessarily mean that the parrot will renew every single feather of its body.

Molting is triggered by sunlight or similar forms of artificial light. Parrots that only see light from modern windows are likely to experience unusual molting. Majority of the modern windows cannot replicate natural sunlight that is needed by the parrots. Which is why youā€™ll find pet parrots molting during weird times of the year.

Molting results from a natural rhythm. It happens naturally during the year just like breeding and migratory habits. In the wild, birds do not usually molt during breeding and migratory seasons as these activities, in addition to molting, are energy-intensive processes. For captive parrots that might have had their natural rhythms disrupted by indoor living, they might molt at unusual times of the year.

PurrGirl

Cuddler of cats
The molt out is part of the growing process.

Molting is when a bird sheds old feathers to make way for new ones to facilitate efficient flight and courtship. It happens to parrots once or twice a year. Parrot needs to molt to make way for new plumage. They do it gradually from wings, body, and finally the tail feathers, but not all at once. This allows them to still be able fly even when they are molting. Molting can also occur only to certain feathers of the body, also known as partial molting. A molting season does not necessarily mean that the parrot will renew every single feather of its body.

Molting is triggered by sunlight or similar forms of artificial light. Parrots that only see light from modern windows are likely to experience unusual molting. Majority of the modern windows cannot replicate natural sunlight that is needed by the parrots. Which is why youā€™ll find pet parrots molting during weird times of the year.

Molting results from a natural rhythm. It happens naturally during the year just like breeding and migratory habits. In the wild, birds do not usually molt during breeding and migratory seasons as these activities, in addition to molting, are energy-intensive processes. For captive parrots that might have had their natural rhythms disrupted by indoor living, they might molt at unusual times of the year.
Dude. You have no idea what you're talking about. I've had parrots my entire life. My father was an ornithologist. What we're looking at in that video is feather plucking, period. It's very rare for wild parrots, much more common in captivity. It can be caused by a variety of things, most of which involve improper care by the parrot's keepers.

Our family parrot is a severe macaw. He molts a couple of times a year. He has fewer feathers and a harder time flying, but he can still do it. Parrots with bare skin in places they can reach, like this Cockatoo, are plucking, not molting. You will notice his head is not plucked, that's because he can't reach it. The tummy is most plucked because it is easy to reach.

Parrots or other birds wouldn't last long in the wild if molting involved losing all or huge patches of feathers like this! They would be cold and wouldn't be able to fly. Molting involving a gradual replacement of feathers. They are never bare like this. Look for pin feathers, meaning the tips of new feathers growing in.

P.S. There's also something called "barbering" which is when the parrot chews their feathers down, much like a person chewing their fingernails. They won't look bare like this, but their feathers will be stubble and bedraggled. This is also a sign of stress or poor diet and rarely happens outside captivity.

Punisher_1

This user was banned
Dude. You have no idea what you're talking about. I've had parrots my entire life. My father was an ornithologist. What we're looking at in that video is feather plucking, period. It's very rare for wild parrots, much more common in captivity. It can be caused by a variety of things, most of which involve improper care by the parrot's keepers.

Our family parrot is a severe macaw. He molts a couple of times a year. He has fewer feathers and a harder time flying, but he can still do it. Parrots with bare skin in places they can reach, like this Cockatoo, are plucking, not molting. You will notice his head is not plucked, that's because he can't reach it. The tummy is most plucked because it is easy to reach.

Parrots or other birds wouldn't last long in the wild if molting involved losing all or huge patches of feathers like this! They would be cold and wouldn't be able to fly. Molting involving a gradual replacement of feathers. They are never bare like this. Look for pin feathers, meaning the tips of new feathers growing in.

P.S. There's also something called "barbering" which is when the parrot chews their feathers down, much like a person chewing their fingernails. They won't look bare like this, but their feathers will be stubble and bedraggled. This is also a sign of stress or poor diet and rarely happens outside captivity.

Okay, my childhood friend's father raised 300 parrots and exotics. We lived two houses down from him and I helped feed the birds on occasion. We had an Amazon Grey for several years. They go through this process from time to time and sure this can be stress related. Each one to a varying degree not all of them this extreme. This video is older seen it long ago. But go ahead and look up the details or the content creator and see if he still posts.

PurrGirl

Cuddler of cats
Okay, my childhood friend's father raised 300 parrots and exotics. We lived two houses down from him and I helped feed the birds on occasion. We had an Amazon Grey for several years. They go through this process from time to time and sure this can be stress related. Each one to a varying degree not all of them this extreme. This video is older seen it long ago. But go ahead and look up the details or the content creator and see if he still posts.
No. What's shown in the video is not a natural "process they go through" and it is not molting. I'm amazed you think wild parrots molting would lose all their feathers. There would be no parrots left because they would be unable to get away from predators. I've watched parrots go through molting many times, and this is not the way it works at all.

I'm sorry you were taught so little by your friend's father. Or perhaps you simply misunderstood, being a child.

If you care for parrots or plan to, you owe it to them to understand when they need vet care, as is the case with the parrot shown in the video. Please research this yourself since you won't listen to me. Here is one of many resources you will find if you do: https://animals.mom.com/tell-difference-between-plucking-grooming-parrot-8944.html

From the linked page: "(the parrot) should not lose more than one or two feathers from each side of his body at any given time."

All parrots molt. Not all parrots barber or pluck themselves. Doing so is indicative of a problem.

Punisher_1

This user was banned
Wlep dont care enough. Simply it happens each case is different in all situations. I posted the text directly from a source and my experience of years of watching things happen with hundreds of birds. But whatever.

Back