bizarre That makes no fucking sense! (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

DokraOwl

Hooter
What really makes no sense is that the molecules are made of bassically nothing as atoms are mostly emptiness. For example an atom of carbon contains 6 protons, 6 neutrons, and 6 electrons. If we were to increase the size of this carbon atom to the size of a baseball stadium, simply as a demonstration of what it actually is, the entire stadium would be empty apart from the 12 protons and neutrons which would be about the size of a pea in the center and the 6 electrons would be the equivalent of 6 grains of sand buzzing around in the air. You are MADE OF THIS right now.

PsychoticNature

Shrimp dick.
What really makes no sense is that the molecules are made of bassically nothing as atoms are mostly emptiness. For example an atom of carbon contains 6 protons, 6 neutrons, and 6 electrons. If we were to increase the size of this carbon atom to the size of a baseball stadium, simply as a demonstration of what it actually is, the entire stadium would be empty apart from the 12 protons and neutrons which would be about the size of a golf ball in the center and the 6 electorns would be the equivalent of 6 grains of sand buzzing around in the air. You are MADE OF THIS right now.
Thanks for that mate, now I can toss and turn all night like a fucking 7/11 hotdog thinking about this as well.

DokraOwl

Hooter
Thanks for that mate, now I can toss and turn all night like a fucking 7/11 hotdog thinking about this as well.
Oooo... you suffer from existential dread, let me help you feel it a little bit more. Here is a high quality image of the observable universe:
vcdsf5pm6f991.jpg

There are places so far from Earth that time doesn't exist there yet. Can you imagine being in a place where time finally starts for the first time and things start existing for the first time? These places form every moment as the universe expands.

Here's a fun thought experiment I use to tell my friends. When we look at a distant star that's say - 2,000 light years from Earth, we are looking at what that star looked like 2,000 years ago in real time. We are litterally looking at something in real time that happened from the time that the ancient Romans were still in power.

So here is my mind game. Say next to this star 2,000 light years away there is a planet with super advanced technology and the beings on this planet created the most powerful telescope in the universe with a 100 quintillion megapixel resolution which could record ultra HD.

If they pointed it at Earth they would be seeing in real time, right now in November 2023, the events of the year 23 A.D. happening in real time. So is ancient Rome gone if there are people 2,000 light years away watching it live? Are the Romans all dead? Yes, of course they are all dead. The aliens are merely watching the past play out as the light finally reaches their planet.

But it makes you think... what if someone on this distant alien world had a way to fire a laser beam that went faster than the speed of light and the light beam made a dot on the floor in Ancient Rome, and someone living 2,000 years ago saw it as the aliens in 2023 watched?

Last edited:

JG Ballard

I want to watch
What really makes no sense is that the molecules are made of bassically nothing as atoms are mostly emptiness. For example an atom of carbon contains 6 protons, 6 neutrons, and 6 electrons. If we were to increase the size of this carbon atom to the size of a baseball stadium, simply as a demonstration of what it actually is, the entire stadium would be empty apart from the 12 protons and neutrons which would be about the size of a pea in the center and the 6 electrons would be the equivalent of 6 grains of sand buzzing around in the air. You are MADE OF THIS right now.
From a mathematical perspective matter is virtually nothing and whatever is not matter - nothingness to the human perspective - is virtually everything. Physicists say that this nothingness is dark matter and dark energy. An example from mathematical analysis that follows this pattern is found along the number line. Whole numbers and fractions are the entries on the number line that are the most accessible to the human mind and yet they amount to nothing (measure zero in mathematical terms) while the irrational numbers, those that can not be represented as a whole number or fraction (example pi) completely saturate the line and make up virtually all of it. So again something that makes up so much of the human world is virtually nothing.

GarGoil

Forum Veteran
Oooo... you suffer from existential dread, let me help you feel it a little bit more. Here is a high quality image of the observable universe:
You have never sounded more like me than during the introduction to your post. Fucking love it!

Deadgrady

Fresh Meat
This gives me anxiety 😂

djdeeds

Constantly laughing at the world
I find it ironic that humans consist of over 80% water .. but we still run from the fucking rain :shrug:

Back