Serious 5-2-24 Gasoline Tanker explodes in Connecticut. Will shut down Interstate 95 for days. (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

eksy

Reject conformity, embrace cringe.
Traffic was backed up for dozens of miles during the morning rush hour, and lengthy delays remained in the area into Thursday evening and were expected through the weekend. Slow-moving detours were set up, taking traffic off the highway and around the accident scene. The crash left other highways and secondary roads in gridlock.
"I know what an incredible inconvenience this is for people and all I can ask you to do is stay away from that area as best you can,” Lamont said during an earlier briefing in Hartford. “The traffic jams are horrendous.”
Norwalk Mayor Harry Rilling said his city’s schools will be closed on Friday. It’s unclear whether they’ll reopen Monday. He urged local employers to consider allowing employees to work from home on Friday, if possible
Imagine how close some parents will be to ending their bloodline. First you're stuck with extremely bored, hangry kids/teens for hours, all of your phones eventually die, so even Bluey/TikTok can't help you anymore, and then, after a giant storm in a car, you're stuck with them even longer with no usual breaks to fully cool down. I bet someone got grounded in that traffic for a very long time.

methedup77

Forum Veteran
Engineers are the stupid ones here. Don’t think of shit when building a bridge. Hey build a bridge. Ok. Here you go!

Not hmm what if a wreck happened? That could close the bridge down

djdeeds

Constantly laughing at the world
Engineers are the stupid ones here. Don’t think of shit when building a bridge. Hey build a bridge. Ok. Here you go!

I can't really think of what they could do to a bridge to change anything. I think they consider impact to the supports but not really fire.

methedup77

Forum Veteran
I can't really think of what they could do to a bridge to change anything. I think they consider impact to the supports but not really fire.
No, in this particular case not much right? But how about extra widening so most wrecks don’t stop a bridge completely? Yes the fuel was hot enough to warp the supports so must be changed

lechmich

Forum Veteran
No, in this particular case not much right? But how about extra widening so most wrecks don’t stop a bridge completely? Yes the fuel was hot enough to warp the supports so must be changed
The chances of a tanker fire underneath a bridge (minuscule) don't warrant overdesigning every bridge in the country. It's like saying why don't we make planes tougher so they don't bust up when they hit the ground

methedup77

Forum Veteran
The chances of a tanker fire underneath a bridge (minuscule) don't warrant overdesigning every bridge in the country. It's like saying why don't we make planes tougher so they don't bust up when they hit the ground
Not what I meant. Many bridges are too narrow without thought of a wreck happening that stops flow. In this case I understand nothing you can do for that other than fire proof beams

Grand Mal Caesar

1984+Idiocracy=Reality
Not what I meant. Many bridges are too narrow without thought of a wreck happening that stops flow. In this case I understand nothing you can do for that other than fire proof beams
Steel is fireproof. Additional fireproofing wouldn't be very effective against a large, sustained fuel fire. It would only increase the cost of constructing and maintaining bridges to protect them against an extremely unlikely event.

Fry_Swatter

...God's favorite troll...
... Associated Press should be gagged to death by a shit covered cock...

...Take their coverage with a grain of salt...

mrln

silent ghost

what would you do then? whats your "solution"?
are you an engineer?

im actually working not too far from there. and the alternate routs are a fucking disaster! the next main artery named "Merritt Parkway". It is a 2 lane roadway. heavyheavyheavy traffic all day long! but its moving though. not the speed limit,and not a snails pace. state troopers are monitoring at every on ramp in the Norwalk and adjacent area onramps,looking for tractor trailers that accidentally go on there. they arent permitted on that road. bridges are too low for them. there were a few that did get on and then quickly they pulled over once the driver saw the bridge or a state trooper.

Last edited:
Back