AirAsia Indonesia Flight QZ8501 Lost Contact (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Tail section of AirAsia Flight QZ8501

Wed January 7, 2015

Searchers have found the tail section of AirAsia Flight QZ8501 in the murky depths of the Java Sea, raising hopes that the plane's black boxes and the precious information they hold might soon be recovered.

The tail section, marked with part of the airline's logo, was detected by sonar early Wednesday, said Bambang Soelistyo, the head of Indonesia's search and rescue agency.

Divers were sent to the location and plunged into the waves. Down on the sea floor, they were able to take pictures of the wreckage.

Finding the tail section is a potentially vital step in the investigation because that is where the flight data and voice recorders -- the so-called black boxes -- are located in the Airbus A320-200, the aircraft model of Flight QZ8501.

"The cockpit voice recorder and flight data recorder are absolutely crucial to gaining an understanding of what happened to this aircraft," said Greg Waldron, the managing editor of Flightglobal, an aviation industry website.

But it's still uncertain if the black boxes are in the piece of wreckage the searchers discovered.

"I am led to believe the tail section has been found," tweeted AirAsia Group CEO Tony Fernandes. " If right part of tail section then the black box should be there."

One of the images released by the search agency showed what appeared to be the letters A and X, another showed the word "Air" from the AirAsia logo.

Searchers have been scouring the choppy waters of the Java Sea for remains from the commercial jet since it lost contact on with 162 people on board. It was flying from the Indonesian city of Surabaya to Singapore.

Search teams had previously located several large pieces of wreckage believed to be from the plane, but none of them as significant as the tail.

Source

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Only 3 images of the tail section photographed underwater have been released.

1. This could be a view of the tail bulkhead.
airasia-tail-section-found-1-jan-7-15.jpg

3. I've scoured through dozens of photos of AirAsia's airbus' and cannot figure out what this lettering could be.
airasia-tail-section-found-2-jan-7-15.jpg

3. This photo of the tail section shows that it lying on it's side and almost upside down. See Pic #4 below.
airasia-tail-section-found-3-jan-7-15.jpg

4. Self explanatory.
airasia-tail-section-found-4-jan-7-15.jpg

Domino69

In the Prep Room
Here's what I find strange. There was a video a few days ago of divers down by the tail of the plane, but they're saying that they can't retrieve bodies as the surf is too rough. If that was someone in MY family, I'd be screaming at those divers. They're down there, why can't they head into what's left of the plane and at least get a few bodies out? I understand that they're saying it's in an awkward position to retrieve the black boxes etc., but, what about the people? I'm shocked the families aren't standing there with rocks when these boats come back to shore day after day, with no one's remains.

They'll be bloody lucky to get ANYTHING back, having been in salt water as long as it has been, not to mention marine life that are just having a feast down there, why keep putting it off? Waiting for them to become completely skeletal?

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Here's what I find strange. There was a video a few days ago of divers down by the tail of the plane, but they're saying that they can't retrieve bodies as the surf is too rough. If that was someone in MY family, I'd be screaming at those divers. They're down there, why can't they head into what's left of the plane and at least get a few bodies out? I understand that they're saying it's in an awkward position to retrieve the black boxes etc., but, what about the people? I'm shocked the families aren't standing there with rocks when these boats come back to shore day after day, with no one's remains.

They'll be bloody lucky to get ANYTHING back, having been in salt water as long as it has been, not to mention marine life that are just having a feast down there, why keep putting it off? Waiting for them to become completely skeletal?
Ya, I think that they have to create and coordinate those two top agendas: get the bodies and get the FDR and the CVR (black boxes). And I'll agree, those families have to be angry: so close, but the bodies in/around the wreckage on the seafloor not being retrieved yet.

One difficult part of that part of the Java Sea is that it's not like other oceans - it mostly flat but is also not fed by any main water source that would keep a somewhat steady current going. What this does, with such a weak current, is make particles like sand and stuff take a long time to settle on the sea floor once it passes surf level. It if were in the dry season, they probably be able to see the entire plane wreckage from the air (something to do with current and temperature change).

:death:

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Divers retrieve AirAsia 'black box', explosion theory questioned

Indonesia/JAKARTA Mon Jan 12, 2015

Indonesian navy divers retrieved the black box flight data recorder from the wreck of an AirAsia passenger jet on Monday, a major step towards unraveling the cause of the crash that killed all 162 people on board.

But there was confusion about what happened in the final moments of Flight QZ8501, which crashed off the Indonesian coast on Dec. 28, with one official saying the plane probably exploded before hitting the water and another disputing that theory.

The Airbus A320-200 airliner lost contact with air traffic control in bad weather less than halfway into a two-hour flight from Indonesia's second-biggest city of Surabaya to Singapore.

"At 7:11, we succeeded in lifting the part of the black box known as the flight data recorder," Fransiskus Bambang Soelistyo, head of the National Search and Rescue Agency, told reporters at a news conference.

The second so-called black box, containing the cockpit voice recorder, is located about 20 meters away from where the flight data recorder was found, but divers have not yet been able to get to it.

"(The cockpit voice recorder) seems to be under a wing, which is quite heavy," said Supriyadi, operations coordinator for the search and rescue agency. "So we will use air bags to lift it. This will be done tomorrow."

The black boxes contain a wealth of data that will be crucial for investigators piecing together the sequence of events that led to the airliner plunging into the sea.

Supriyadi said the wreckage indicated that the plane likely "experienced an explosion" before hitting the water due to a significant change in air pressure.

He said the left side of the plane seemed to have disintegrated, pointing to a change in pressure that could have caused an explosion.

Source

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
A few images of the recovered tail section and the FDR box.

1. The Flight Data Recorder - Jan 12/15
fdr-box-recovered-ID-jan-12-15.jpg

2. These were all taken Jan 10/15
tail-section-recovered-1-ID-jan-10-15.jpg

tail-section-recovered-2-ID-jan-10-15.jpg

tail-section-recovered-3-ID-jan-10-15.jpg

5. Now I can see where that one underwater photo came from.
tail-section-recovered-4-ID-jan-10-15.jpg

tail-section-recovered-5-ID-jan-10-15.jpg

7. How a Microburst can cause a plane to crash.
microburst-illustration.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Some new details about the crash of AirAsia Flight QZ8501.

Investigator: Co-pilot flew AirAsia Flight QZ8501

3:18 AM ET, Thu January 29, 2015

Jakarta, Indonesia

When AirAsia Flight QZ8501 crashed, the co-pilot was flying the plane. The pilot was monitoring the flight. And things may have gone wrong in a span of just three minutes and 20 seconds.

That's the assessment of Indonesia's National Transportation Safety Committee.

In a news conference Thursday, the agency released new details on the flight that crashed December 28 in the Java Sea as it flew from the Indonesian city of Surabaya toward Singapore. There were 162 people on board.

The plane had been cruising at 32,000 feet. Around 11:12 p.m. UTC (coordinated universal time), the pilot asked the control tower whether it could ascend to 38,000 feet, according to the committee.

The plane was veering left and wobbling, said Ertata Lanang Galih, a senior pilot and investigator with the committee.

Flight QZ8501 then ascended to 37,400 feet in about 30 seconds in a steep ascent, said Mardjono Siswosuwarno, the chief investigator for the transportation committee.

The stall warnings -- which blare the words "Stall, Stall" -- went on as the plane started the steep climb and continued until it crashed, according to information on the flight data recorder. The voice warning doesn't always mean the aircraft has stalled, said Mardjono. The warning is triggered when the angle of attack, which is the angle at which the wing tackles the oncoming wind, hits eight degrees.

AirAsia flight climbed quickly, then stalled before crash

The plane descended quickly, dropping to 24,000 feet, out of radar detection.

Source

Check out the CNN webpage (Source link above) - there are 2 good videos about what investigators think happened. Let the first video play and then wait to let the second video load up and play and then the third video - the second and third video will give folks a good idea of what happens when a plane climbs to to quickly, why it enters a stall and why it loses "lift".

Back