AK Inventor Mikhail Kalashnikov Dead At 94 (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

aRyan

TRUMP or BUST
This is a sad day. For all of my fellow gun lovers, go fire off your favorite AK next time you get a chance to honor this good man.

http://rt.com/news/kalashnikov-dies-inventor-ak-47-887/

19.jpg

The inventor of the iconic AK-47 assault rifle, Mikhail Kalashnikov, has died at the age of 94. His ingenuity earned him widespread admiration, but his legacy became more controversial when his weapons were used in some of the world’s bloodiest conflicts.

"Mikhail Kalashnikov's entire life is a shining example of dedication to serving your country," said a statement from Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu.

"For many generations of Russians his name became a symbol of the glory and reliability of our weapons, and a source of national pride."

Russian President Vladimir Putin expressed "deep condolences" over the death of the engineer.

Kalashnikov who continued working well into his nineties, had been suffering from heart and intestinal problems, and on November 17 was admitted into intensive care in Izhevsk in central Russia - where the plant that produces the eponymous rifles is located. The official cause of death will be revealed following a mandatory autopsy.

A public funeral will be organized by the regional administration, in consultation with surviving relatives, though no date has been named so far.

Patriot, genius, villain?
For most of his life, Kalashnikov, who was famous for his frugal lifestyle, was feted as a straightforward hero.

The self-taught peasant turned tank mechanic who never finished high school, but achieved a remarkable and lasting feat of engineering while still in his twenties.

But as the rifles, inextricably linked forever to their creator by name, were more and more commonly seen in the hands of terrorists, radicals and child soldiers, the inventor was often forced to defend himself to journalists.

He was forever asked if he regretted engineering the weapon that probably killed more than any other in the last fifty years.

"I invented it for the protection of the Motherland. I have no regrets and bear no responsibility for how politicians have used it," he told them.

On a few occasions, when in a more reflective mood, the usually forceful Kalashnikov wondered what might have been.

"I'm proud of my invention, but I'm sad that it is used by terrorists," he said once.

"I would prefer to have invented a machine that people could use and that would help farmers with their work – for example a lawnmower."

Indeed, at his museum in Izhevsk, where he spent most of his life working at the factory that was eventually named after him, there is an ingenious mechanical lawnmower Kalashnikov invented to more easily take care of the lawn at his country house.

It’s not what he will be remembered for.

Considering his age and circumstances, it was hardly surprising that Kalashnikov felt he could best serve his country by creating weapons.

Born in 1919, Mikhail was the seventeenth child of well-off peasants. When he was eleven, during Joseph Stalin’s collectivization campaign his parents had their land confiscated, and the whole family was exiled to Siberia (a fact rarely mentioned in fawning Soviet-era biographies).

(more at article)

max_gain

Dedicated GORE poster.
Short Bussed
Just out of interest, 10 facts about the AK47........

1. It in one of the few weapons that can be totally submerged in water and then still fire straight away.

2. Due to its simplicity and easy of manufacture it is the most copied gun in the world.

3. The inventor of the AK-47 did not profit from the gun. Communist states had no patents, and until its collapse in 1991, Kalashnikov was simply an employee of the Soviet Union.

4. The AK-47 can be stripped in under a minute and cleaned quickly in almost any climatic condition. Even if it isn’t cleaned, an AK-47 is still more likely to fire than any of its rivals as it has wide mechanical tollerances.

5. With only eight moving parts the AK-47 is cheap to manufacture and easy to use — so easy in fact that users can be taught how to properly handle this weapon in a single hour.

6. The cost of one machine on the “black market” range from just £6 to Afghanistan to £3,000 in India.

7. The Kalashnikov rifle is in the “Guinness Book of Records” as the most common weapon in the world. Currently, there are about 100 million AK. This means that 60 adult inhabitants of our planet have on one machine.

8. It is in service with the armies and special units of 106 countries of the world.

9. The Kalashnikov rifle is shown in the arms of some states. Currently, it is present in the coat of arms of the African country of Zimbabwe (since 1980), the coat of arms and the flag of Mozambique (since 1975), emblem of the Asian state of East Timor. From 1984 to 1997, AK was depicted on the emblem of the African state of Burkina Faso.

10. In some African countries, a newborn is given a name Kalash - in honor of the Kalashnikov assault rifle.

Image showing internal principle workings of AK47 mechanism

Ycz0UDN.gif

McM

ARSELING
7. The Kalashnikov rifle is in the “Guinness Book of Records” as the most common weapon in the world. Currently, there are about 100 million AK. This means that 60 adult inhabitants of our planet have on one machine.

This topic is under discussion among experts. The 'Mauser 98 K' carabine was also produced in same large quantities. Who knows...;)

Back