Bacteria On The ISS Have Mutated Into Something Not Seen On Earth Before (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Cold Ethyl

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Movies and TV shows give the impression of space stations as aseptic and squeaky-clean environments. But wherever there are humans, there are all the bacteria that we bring with us. Bacteria have found niches in the International Space Station (ISS) and since they can evolve pretty quickly, a species was seen becoming distinct from its earthly counterparts.
The bacteria in question are strains of Enterobacter bugandensis. This is an opportunistic pathogen, meaning that it can cause disease only if the host is already "perturbed", such as if they are battling disease already or if they are immunocompromised. The bacteria is notorious for being multi-drug resistant, meaning that several antibiotic treatments are no longer effective in fighting it off. So it is important to understand what this bacteria is like in orbit.

Five strains of this bacterium were found on the ISS in 2018, and new work reports the existence of 13 strains on the space station. While the previous analysis reported similarities, the more in-depth genetic work suggests that under the stress of such a unique environment, the ISS strains could have mutated in multiple ways to become both genetically and functionally distinct from the E. bugandensis we find on Earth
We identified certain genes from our study that are exclusively present in organisms associated with the ISS, but not in their terrestrial counterpart,” the authors wrote in the paper.

SPHINCTERPUNCH

THE SPHINCTER PUNCHER!
Movies and TV shows give the impression of space stations as aseptic and squeaky-clean environments. But wherever there are humans, there are all the bacteria that we bring with us. Bacteria have found niches in the International Space Station (ISS) and since they can evolve pretty quickly, a species was seen becoming distinct from its earthly counterparts.
The bacteria in question are strains of Enterobacter bugandensis. This is an opportunistic pathogen, meaning that it can cause disease only if the host is already "perturbed", such as if they are battling disease already or if they are immunocompromised. The bacteria is notorious for being multi-drug resistant, meaning that several antibiotic treatments are no longer effective in fighting it off. So it is important to understand what this bacteria is like in orbit.

Five strains of this bacterium were found on the ISS in 2018, and new work reports the existence of 13 strains on the space station. While the previous analysis reported similarities, the more in-depth genetic work suggests that under the stress of such a unique environment, the ISS strains could have mutated in multiple ways to become both genetically and functionally distinct from the E. bugandensis we find on Earth
We identified certain genes from our study that are exclusively present in organisms associated with the ISS, but not in their terrestrial counterpart,” the authors wrote in the paper.

Probably from Compromised SPHINCTERS!!! Trust Me...I KNOW SPHINCTERS!!!
😅😅😅...SP

we're living at the end of the age of antibiotic protection...the bugs are coming to kill all of us
Well it's about Fkn Time!!!
😆😆😆...SP

H82Go8675309

𝐉𝐫
Things like this make me wonder what exactly the theys are doing in outerspace in their labs aboard them. They probably cultured lots of experimental biologicals Earth bound beings know little about. I guess it's safer doing it there than on Earth though.

One of Varda's ships was denied re-entry in the past year due to something they were working on concerning HIV pharmaceutical crystals. Australia finally allowed their spaceship drug "factory" to land on their soil. You re-posted the story on Goregrish I recall OP but I read about it in Gizmodo too.

I wonder what they also had beyond what was mentioned. Sneaky fuckers.

Harumph

"What, me worry?"
That's okay. Just crash land them all into the Great Pacific Garbage Patch (GPGP) so the new strains of bacteria can be infested with microplastics like the rest of us! That'll teach them to develop resistance to our antibiotics!
:lulz:

H82Go8675309

𝐉𝐫
That's okay. Just crash land them all into the Great Pacific Garbage Patch (GPGP) so the new strains of bacteria can be infested with microplastics like the rest of us! That'll teach them to develop resistance to our antibiotics!
:lulz:

Don't forget get to add some nanites.

DokraOwl

Hooter
Bacteria mutate in random places all the time. I guarantee you there is a toilet in India with a strain of newly mutated bacteria that if it ever escaped the toilet would cause the end of humanity, but luckily it doesn't escape because it dies or mutates into a less deadly form before anyone even knows it exists.

SPHINCTERPUNCH

THE SPHINCTER PUNCHER!
Things like this make me wonder what exactly the theys are doing in outerspace in their labs aboard them. They probably cultured lots of experimental biologicals Earth bound beings know little about. I guess it's safer doing it there than on Earth though.

One of Varda's ships was denied re-entry in the past year due to something they were working on concerning HIV pharmaceutical crystals. Australia finally allowed their spaceship drug "factory" to land on their soil. You re-posted the story on Goregrish I recall OP but I read about it in Gizmodo too.

I wonder what they also had beyond what was mentioned. Sneaky fuckers.
SPHINCTOIDS???
🤣🤣🤣...SP

Where the fuck have you been , you're like royalty around here , there was a nasty rumor you punched your own sphinx, blown out O ring , burnt hot dog end...
That's accurate!
I had to go 2 China 4 a Full Ring Replacement!!! Took 10 Slants for the right 'Tight Ring' to take!!! 🤣🤣🤣
🤓🤓🤓...SP

Last edited:

SPHINCTERPUNCH

THE SPHINCTER PUNCHER!
Yass! They come in a neat little tin much like Altoids & have a curiously strong gay vibe to them but, that's exactly where you put those new crystals to give some shithead you hate the HIV. Right in the keister.
They're for special assignments & only for use w/those where beheading would be too fast a death.
SPHINCTOIDS! Get some!
Fuck your killing Me over here!
LMFAO!!!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
🤓🤓🤓...SP

D.O.A.

We are Kings
we're living at the end of the age of antibiotic protection...the bugs are coming to kill all of us
images - 2024-05-06T164358.546.jpeg

Dolly

Uppity cunt
I'm hopeful we will get a zombie Armageddon after all, instead of a nuclear war, what with Enterobacter bugandensis and cordyceps having the possibility to mutate due to global warming. I'm highly skilled in zombie survival because I've played Dead Island and Dying Light, etc. But I don't have any guns or tins of beans yet.

NAFiAAT.jpg

Yes yes russelmarks,I am joking here. I'm well aware this is unlikely, no need to copy paste a 12 page document regarding cordyceps

Back