Hundreds of skeletons found beneath old Pembrokeshire department store (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Cold Ethyl

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
The remains of more than 240 people, including about 100 children, have been discovered beneath a former department store in Pembrokeshire among the ruins of a medieval priory.
Archaeologists believe they have discovered the remnants of St Saviour’s Priory underneath the former Ocky White store in Haverfordwest, which closed in 2013.
The priory has been described as “a significant complex of buildings” with dormitories, scriptoriums, stables and a hospital.
The site supervisor, Andrew Shobbrook, from Dyfed Archaeological Trust, said: “It’s quite a prestigious place to be buried. You have a range of people, from the wealthy to general townsfolk.”
The remains will be analysed before being reburied on consecrated ground. Some of the bodies have head injuries, consistent with battle injuries, and the wounds could have been caused by arrows or musket balls, Shobbrook told the broadcaster.
Among the ruins of the former priory are the remains of 240 people. About half the remains are those of children, a reflection of their high mortality rate at the time, the BBC reported. One theory is that the victims could date from an attack by French and Welsh forces, led by rebel leader Owain Glyndŵr.
“We know that the town was besieged in 1405 by Owain Glyndŵr and they could be victims of that conflict,” Shobbrook said.

Archaeologist Gaby Lester said: “Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be involved in something so big. The site is showing itself to be massive part of the history of Haverfordwest and Pembrokeshire. It can be slightly overwhelming at times but it’s also quite humbling to be part of that person’s journey.”
It is thought that the site may have been used as a burial ground all the way up to the 18th century.
The friary of Dominican Order is believed to have stood in Haverfordwest for three centuries. The Dominicans, or Black Friars, had a different agenda from most monastic orders in that they went among the population, preaching, praying and teaching.
DAT Archaeological Services started work at the site known as Ocky White in February and is scheduled to be at the site until next January.
The site is being redeveloped to become a food emporium, bar and rooftop terrace.

_127034531_skeletons1.jpeg
_127033805_1-19.jpg
_127033799_1-20.jpg
1500.jpg

Last edited:

SPHINCTERPUNCH

THE SPHINCTER PUNCHER!
The remains of more than 240 people, including about 100 children, have been discovered beneath a former department store in Pembrokeshire among the ruins of a medieval priory.
Archaeologists believe they have discovered the remnants of St Saviour’s Priory underneath the former Ocky White store in Haverfordwest, which closed in 2013.
The priory has been described as “a significant complex of buildings” with dormitories, scriptoriums, stables and a hospital.
The site supervisor, Andrew Shobbrook, from Dyfed Archaeological Trust, said: “It’s quite a prestigious place to be buried. You have a range of people, from the wealthy to general townsfolk.”
The remains will be analysed before being reburied on consecrated ground. Some of the bodies have head injuries, consistent with battle injuries, and the wounds could have been caused by arrows or musket balls, Shobbrook told the broadcaster.
Among the ruins of the former priory are the remains of 240 people. About half the remains are those of children, a reflection of their high mortality rate at the time, the BBC reported. One theory is that the victims could date from an attack by French and Welsh forces, led by rebel leader Owain Glyndŵr.
“We know that the town was besieged in 1405 by Owain Glyndŵr and they could be victims of that conflict,” Shobbrook said.

Archaeologist Gaby Lester said: “Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be involved in something so big. The site is showing itself to be massive part of the history of Haverfordwest and Pembrokeshire. It can be slightly overwhelming at times but it’s also quite humbling to be part of that person’s journey.”
It is thought that the site may have been used as a burial ground all the way up to the 18th century.
The friary of Dominican Order is believed to have stood in Haverfordwest for three centuries. The Dominicans, or Black Friars, had a different agenda from most monastic orders in that they went among the population, preaching, praying and teaching.
DAT Archaeological Services started work at the site known as Ocky White in February and is scheduled to be at the site until next January.
The site is being redeveloped to become a food emporium, bar and rooftop terrace.

Consecrated Ground??? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
That's the most Evil Fkn Soil on the Planet! Stay the Fuck away from that "Consecrated Ground" Peeps! If U pay Attention to History;U know what I'm talking about!
🤘🏻🤟🤙...SP

wiggins

Forum Veteran
Maybe a little early for musket balls but I could be wrong.

Plague pits are common throughout Europe which are found every so often. The building of the London underground uncovered many such pits

History is amazing stuff. I love the thought that these were normal people once going about their daily business just as we do now.

History comes to life for me when I read it...

Reject

This user was banned

View attachment 621443View attachment 621444View attachment 621445View attachment 621446
Meh, nobody cares

M.O.DENGLER

Splendid Fellow
Its an odd feeling for me , the thought of what you think is your final resting place being dug up many years later. The photos with the whole skeletons made me feel sad for them. I guess I anthropomorphize those old bones too much.
I am the same.

I anthropomorphize like fuck.

SPHINCTERPUNCH

THE SPHINCTER PUNCHER!
Maybe a little early for musket balls but I could be wrong.

Plague pits are common throughout Europe which are found every so often. The building of the London underground uncovered many such pits

History is amazing stuff. I love the thought that these were normal people once going about their daily business just as we do now.

History comes to life for me when I read it...
🤘🏻🤟🤙...SP

YT!

Lurker

View attachment 621443View attachment 621444View attachment 621445View attachment 621446
How long does someone need to be deceased before it's considered archeology instead of grave robbing?

Bansaku

Well Known Member
Can't wait for the updated storey! It's interesting to think what's buried under you, just waiting to be found. 😎

Back