James Webb Space Telescope's first image (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Götterdämmerung

Well Known Member
After 20 years of development the James Webb Space Telescope has released it's first image to the public. A long exposure of a presumably empty part of space reveals thousands of galaxies from a region the size of a grain of sand held at arms length. Ignore the few bright six-spiked objects, they're foreground stars in our own galaxy. What you see are thousands galaxies with 100 billion stars each, stretching to infinity.
Also shown in the image is the power of gravity. Below and to the right of the largest spiked object is a fuzzy white spot. It is a cluster of super galaxies (10x normal size) that is distorting space so much that it has bent the light of the of the galaxies behind it, like a lens. The curved red objects that seem to encircle it are the further away background galaxies we would otherwise not have seen.
The Hubble Telescope has a similar image, the Hubble Deep Field. What the JWST brings is Infrared. As the further one looks in these images the redder objects become, a result of our expanding universe. So much so that the furthest objects dip from the red to the infrared, which Hubble can't see, so we're seeing that much further. Also, back in space means back in time. We're getting closer to seeing what happened at the beginning of time.

Attachments

• main_image_deep_field_smacs0723-5mb.jpg
    main_image_deep_field_smacs0723-5mb.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 240

Collins

Well Known Member
After 20 years of development the James Webb Space Telescope has released it's first image to the public. A long exposure of a presumably empty part of space reveals thousands of galaxies from a region the size of a grain of sand held at arms length. Ignore the few bright six-spiked objects, they're foreground stars in our own galaxy. What you see are thousands galaxies with 100 billion stars each, stretching to infinity.
Also shown in the image is the power of gravity. Below and to the right of the largest spiked object is a fuzzy white spot. It is a cluster of super galaxies (10x normal size) that is distorting space so much that it has bent the light of the of the galaxies behind it, like a lens. The curved red objects that seem to encircle it are the further away background galaxies we would otherwise not have seen.
The Hubble Telescope has a similar image, the Hubble Deep Field. What the JWST brings is Infrared. As the further one looks in these images the redder objects become, a result of our expanding universe. So much so that the furthest objects dip from the red to the infrared, which Hubble can't see, so we're seeing that much further. Also, back in space means back in time. We're getting closer to seeing what happened at the beginning of time.
It’s just amazing how space is never ending or is it we just don’t know 😁

Mondriaan

Rookie
I hate how NASA handles these pictures, I remember that pictures were taken of Pluto's moon a long time ago and that this picture was already half a year old because of copyright, don't expect many pictures to be published I think thousands of pictures have already been taken with the telescope and I think we can wait a long time for publication, you'd better grab binoculars and see for yourself in the evening when the weather is good, much more beautiful

Flatus Tube

I have counted to infinity, twice.
Thank you @Götterdämmerung
I’d not seen this yet. When I was in rehab I had to do the first 3 steps of the 12-Step Program. I decided the Universe was my ‘higher power’ as it’s fucking huge and has always interested me. Just as me and another GP who was in rehab with me were discussing the length of time the photons from the stars we were looking at took to hit our retinas, a huge shooting star cut through the sky where we were looking.

Some facts I love as they boggle my mind.

Our galaxy has the approximately same number of stars as a human brain has neurones. Are galaxies actually some form of brain?

It would take 540 million years travelling at the speed of light to get from one side of our local galaxy super-cluster to the other. That’s just one cluster of galaxies!

If you consider the size of a molecule and the space between the nucleus of the molecule and the electron ‘shell’, our bodies are 99.9% space!

Last edited:

Brainfart

Don't take what I say seriously...
That is either CGI or an airbrush painting...look at the light of the star in the centre. The beam of light goes behind a galaxy...fake as fuck..
As gay as the OP...

PinkE

Hypocrisy is the homage vice pays to virtue
I’d not seen this yet. When I was in rehab I had to do the first 3 steps of the 12-Step Program. I decided the Universe was my ‘higher power’ as it’s fucking huge and has always interested me. Just as me and another GP who was in rehab with me were discussing the length of time the photons from the stars we were looking at took to hit our retinas, a huge shooting star cut through the sky where we were looking.

Some facts I love as they boggle my mind.

Our galaxy has the approximately same number of stars as a human brain has neurones. Are galaxies actually some form of brain?

It would take 540 million years travelling at the speed of light to get from one side of our local galaxy super-cluster to the other. That’s just one cluster of galaxies!

If you consider the size of a molecule and the space between the nucleus of the molecule and the electron ‘shell, our bodies are 99:9% space!
These are my same thoughts that race through my mind all day. It's distracting sometimes

Racist Bastard

Forum Veteran
Fuck9ng amazing! I wonder when a more advanced race will wipe us out when we go to far and do some shit they don't like ??

Flatus Tube

I have counted to infinity, twice.
One of my weird thoughts is,if i where dead and so couldn't think of the universe it wouldn't exist it would all be in my head.

There have been studies to show that particles behave one way when being watched, and like a wave when nobody is watching. Quantum Physics blows my head a bit but some stuff is interesting and makes sense.

Like the theory the Universe is actually a 3D hologram projected through the 2D Energy Verses that intersect each other. Interestingly some of the calculations that fit with the Energy Verse (or Multiverse) theory also fit with the ‘layers’ of the heavens from many religious scripts. Like I said, blows my head a bit 😂

Particle Behaviour With Observer Info

Jizdrop1

Hope Mojo dies
There have been studies to show that particles behave one way when being watched, and like a wave when nobody is watching. Quantum Physics blows my head a bit but some stuff is interesting and makes sense.

Like the theory the Universe is actually a 3D hologram projected through the 2D Energy Verses that intersect each other. Interestingly some of the calculations that fit with the Energy Verse (or Multiverse) theory also fit with the ‘layers’ of the heavens from many religious scripts. Like I said, blows my head a bit 😂

Particle Behaviour With Observer Info
Mind blowing stuff shipmate. Perhaps we all find out one day when we cash our chips in.

WhatIsLife64

This user was banned

If you consider the size of a molecule and the space between the nucleus of the molecule and the electron ‘shell’, our bodies are 99.9% space!
Space, the final frontier. Still true today. I like your theory about galaxies being brains. It's interesting and possible.
I'll pour a drink and think about it a bit more.

Back