John Brown (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

ElizabethBathory

Hilf Siegen
Summary:
John Brown (1800 - 1859) dedicated his life to the abolishment of slavery. He was convicted of treason and hung after an attempt to take over an arsenal in Virginia in order to arm slaves with weapons was thwarted.
Personal Information:
Born - 9-May-1800
Birthplace - Torrington, CT
Died - 2-Dec-1859
Location of Death - Charles Town, VA
Cause of Death - Execution
Gender - Male
Religion - Congregationalist
Ethnicity - White
Occupation - Education - Military:

Activist
October 16, 1859:
John Brown was devoted to abolishing slavery. On October 16, 1859, in his final revolutionary act, he led 21 men on a raid in Harpers Ferry, Virgina and attacked a federal arsenal with a plan to arm slaves with weapons. His raid was unsuccessful when Robert E. Lee led local farmers and Marines to protect the arsenal. Brown and the remaining men that had not been killed during the figut, were captured, tried, and convicted of treason.

In John Brown's final words to the court he said, ". . . I believe to have interfered as I have done, . . . in behalf of His despised poor, was not wrong, but right. Now, if it be deemed necessary that I should forfeit my life for the furtherance of the ends of justice, and mingle my blood further with the blood of my children, and with the blood of millions in this slave country whose rights are disregarded by wicked, cruel, and unjust enactments, I submit: so let it be done."

He was hanged on December 2, 1859
brown1.jpg
imgres
220px-John_Brown_daguerreotype_c1856.png
John-Brown.jpg

Weeping Tom

Avant garde art & food critic extraordinaire
A nasty piece of work, there's nothing more fearsome than a self righteous bigot on a crusade.

Zinkoxid

Embrace the pain!
Eerie, looks exactly like an EDV Instructor I've had the displeasure to work with... I wouldn't have spat on him if he was set aflame.

Ora

Well Known Member
Ah yes, the Brown rebellion. I remember reading about this one in the history books when I was a kid. I agree with the rest of the thread. This fellow doesn't belong in the serial killers forum.

Sev

Well Oiled Member
He's a badass. He escaped Confederate soldiers by having his wife roll him up in a carpet. The soldiers even helped load the carpet on a wagon!

Back