disaster Nice Landing (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Tottie

You've got to laugh
Auto rotation fucking helicopters are death traps.
I was thinking that myself ,don't know much about choppers but read a book called chickenhawk the guy explained the workings actually a brilliant book.p.s I actually had my xbox handle as chickenhawk84 for a while till my wee mate asked me if I knew what the term meant im like what do you mean its my favourite book,apparently its a gay term for older guys that go for young guy's 😅 changed that name pronto 🤣 heavy trolling myself without knowing it.

ShartCart

Crusty piss fenders
This user was banned
That was phenomenal piloting. The loss of tail rotor authority it’s called is usually a death sentence. One of our Kiowas had that happen and just fell straight to the earth. A “ autorotation” is when the helicopter loses its engine, and uses the free spinning rotor blades passing through the air causing them to spin and thus generate lift. Then at the end you use all that stored up power to soften the crash. Tried to simplify it as best I could without throwing out crazy terms Lol

Sockdip

Rookie
A mostly well done autorotational landing. Scary for the pilot and those onboard, but survivable for the most part.

Auto rotation is a loss of power to the rotor, and using its momentum to minimise the impact of a crash landing. That is not what happened here. The main rotor was still under power, but the tail rotor failed, which is why the aircraft was spinning.

Back