War Russians Demo'ing Bombed Mariupol Theatre (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Mariupol, Ukraine, Dec. 23, 2022:

Russian authorities in the occupied Ukrainian city of Mariupol have begun demolishing most of the city's drama theatre, where Ukrainian authorities say hundreds died in an air bombardment in March.

Ukrainian officials denounced the demolition as a bid to cover up the deaths in the March 16 bombardment and wipe out Ukrainian culture. Russian officials said it was part of plans to rebuild the theatre in a city firmly under their control.

"The Mariupol Theatre no longer exists," Ukrainian Culture Minister Oleksandr Tkachenko wrote on Facebook.

"The occupiers are removing traces of their crimes and couldn't care less whether this is cultural heritage or whether it belongs to another culture."

On March 16, 2022, Russian warplanes dropped two 500kg bombs on the city's theatre which detonated simultaneously, according to a report by Amnesty International, which condemned the attack as a clear war crime.

Civilians had been using the building as a refuge from the siege and a large sign spelling "children" had been daubed in Russian in front [and rear] of the theatre.

Some 1,200 people were inside the building when the bombs struck. Ukrainian authorities believe 300 people were killed but an AP investigation said the number was closer to 600. Many of the bodies were found in the basement.

Source and Source

1.jpg

2.jpg

2b.jpg

2c.jpg

5. After the theatre was bombed and it was partially still on fire.
3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

5b.jpg

9. Searching for bodies.
6.jpg

10. There are very few photos of the theatres interior after it was bombed.
7.jpg

8.jpg

12. Russian forces had occupied the theatre after the survivors had left and the dead that were found were removed, leaving furniture that wasn't burned.
9.jpg

13. Putting up such a large screen around the building stoked fears that there are more bodies that are/were being recovered just prior to and during the demolition, that the Russians didn't want to be seen (this is still speculation).
10.jpg

14. Excavator at work in the rear of the building. The basement, where most of the dead were found, is to the right of it.
11.jpg

12.jpg

wiggins

Forum Veteran
There should be a ‘buildings warning’ 😂. That was a beautiful old building, and it’s sad a bit if history was destroyed. Showing my sensitive side you know! 🤪😂🤪😂
Well, I wasn't that keen on the red roof actually...

lilifrst

❤️ Proud Future Corpse ⚰️ 💋
This user was banned
There should be a ‘buildings warning’ 😂. That was a beautiful old building, and it’s sad a bit if history was destroyed. Showing my sensitive side you know! 🤪😂🤪😂
I agree. I'm honestly surprised that the Russians allowed why survivors to walk tbh

Back